Celebrity Foods / Terrible advertisement

United States Review updated:
Unfortunately, we allowed Jason Staling, a Celebrity Food sales rep out of the Bellingham office into our home to sell us the food service. A family with five kids and a single income, we were intrigued by the delivery service. When he found out that we already had a freezer, (he had to verify it on his paperwork) he told us that CF wanted us to have a 'free gift' for using the service. We picked cookware only later to find him slipping a contract for the cookware under our nose. What a SCAM! Nutshell: sign a contract that you have three days to get out of, but the food and the 'free gift' do not come for 10 days so you have no time to review the product before your 'opt out' is over.

Customer service was horrible. I got the same response 'You signed a contract!' They only care about that, not customer service. Jason was conveniently unavailable after the sale, did not return phone calls. Ted the manager came out to the house to try and shut us up, only offering to give us a pan that we were supposed to get as part of the cookware as featured in the video but one that did not come with our order. We complained. I paid a $300 deposit on the day of sale, and that is all I will pay them. They are very crooked.

Also, I complained to the BBB, otherwise known as the paper tiger. They did nothing except read my email and contact Celebrity Foods, for what I do not know. Although Celebrity Foods is a member, I was surprised that the BBB was not proactive or investigative and didn't seem to care that their member was out there scamming people.

They keep sending demands for payment with a bill for both the free cookware and a separate bill for the food. They are now trying to take me to small claims court in Snohomish. I have consulted an attorney and will most likely follow through with their advice. Is there any business out there that cares about their reputation?
Va

Comments

Na
  15th of Jul, 2009
We also had a bad experience with Celebrity Foods. The whole set-up was not made clear at all, and was confusingly and I think deceptively presented. We were under the impression we would get a 6-months supply of meat in six deliveries. After we used up our first delivery, we called for what we thought was our next delivery. We were then told we had to sign a whole new contract and pay another approximately $1, 000--even though we were still paying off the first $1, 000 but the food was long gone. THEN they tried to tell us we had signed a paper saying we agreed to six deliveries, meaning we were obligated to pay them over $6, 000! What a nightmare. I re-read every word on the contract and we had NOT agreed to pay $6, 000. They "did us a favor" and backed down on that one. It is impossible to tell the cost of the food, since nothing is individually priced. Since we got one delivery for over $1, 000 and it didn't last that long, it is pretty darn expensive. All in all, VERY expensive food, VERY misleading and confusing sales practices. It left us feeling pretty stupid and not at all positive about this company.
Wi
  3rd of Aug, 2009
"Naive" is absolutely correct!
I just sent a Celebrity food salesman on his way about an hour ago after learning that they will not give customers any idea as to the cost of individual items.No per pound pricing, no info. on portions... only promises of "we'll work it into your weekly budget"

People...this type of shopping will screw you out of a lot of money!
And I believe it is designed to do just that.

My advice to those looking to save $ and time : Here's what I do:
Own a large freezer chest (about $500) and watch those meat sales!
When those boneless, skinless chicken breasts are $1.99/lb I LOAD UP!
Beautiful looking sirloin? $2.49/lb...LOAD UP!
It's easy to defrost meat in the microwave or the fridge overnight, and shopping this way saves us hundreds of dollars a month. Plus...you'll know what you're getting for your money.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and steer clear of this company. No pun intended...hehe...steer- get it?
Wy
  17th of Dec, 2009
To all Celebrity Foods is a total BAIT & SWITCH they call to ask to come into the home to work your weekly food budget that which you spend already, so they say. Before the Salesman/Saleswomen leave they will try to sell you a freezer for close to $3000 SALESMAN GET'S Huge commision you can buy them warehouse and if you look around $600, they will try to Sell you tupperware, cheap knives, Cookware "Junk" this operation started out as a freezer in the back of your trunk Meat Sales. Then because of all the Suckers.

Mark Gombar who owns this multilevel Con is farting through SILK, oh but do not be discouraged they take the selected employees yearly to Anahiem, California. It all starts with saying yes you can come into our home and "CON" us we ar MARKS ready for the plundering.

I am hopeful someday they will FOLD UP