Cebu Air / credit card fraud

1700 EUR were transferred/stolen from my credit card (VISA, issued by the Bulgarian branch of Raiffeisenbank) in 6 transactions for the period 25 DEC - 30 DEC 2008. When I finally received my bank statement, the transactions' description was: PHP (the amount of the money), CEBU AIR MiGSSMA1.5.2, and the adress of the recipient was PASIG. I have never travelled with CEBU AIR, as a matter of fact I had never heard of the company before I received my bank statement and googled the name. I had used the card (VISA) only once before the fraud - to buy cosmetics from an online beauty shop - beautive.com. I guess that's where they hacked my card, although I had used this site before, but wuth different cards, and never had a problem.

N  17th of Feb, 2009 by
Me to from K S A same company (CEBU PAC MiGSSMA1.5.2 some transferred/stolen from my credit card
What we will do??
A  29th of Apr, 2009 by
I am with you on this. For me, it was not just the 3 Cebu Airline ticket transactions, there were two other smaller amounts - one of which was with a T-Street Jewelry (most probably an offline purchase) and the other was an online transaction on a charity website called http://www.oxfam.org.uk
The Cebu airline transactions happened in three instants, but almost in a minute's gap, they tried to buy 3 domestic airline tickets. The statement message appeared as HSBCMNL1 CEBUR AIR, PHP. So watch out for this one.
The transactions were happening so quickly that I was not sure what was going. But a big thanks to my bank’s SMS alert system which sends alerts each time even a single transaction occurs, right at that instant. If not, there was no way I could have known what has happening to my card and would have had to wait another 2 days for the online statements to update. The money would have just kept on dissapearing if I had not called up the call centre and had the card blocked immediately.
Luckily the bank will be refunding the money that has been transacted. I thank again the bank’s SMS alert systems - funny how somethings, that we least bother with, can be of a great help at times.
A  4th of May, 2009 by
Me too over the weekend (2/5/09). A transaction for Oxfam and three quick transactions for Cebu air PHP/Makati or MOP/Makati. Then another for Oxfam.

Banks fraud section noticed and put hold on the card, about the same time I checked on Internet banking. Card now cancelled. Apparently, they tried to transact again when card was on hold.

Money will be refunded, just will take time.

Thanks to the Bank's Fraud section!!

But be aware of Cebu Air!!
N  27th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Add me to the list of victims - #419.08 CDN charge to my VISA as CEBU AIR-TE MiGSSMA1.5 PASIG. Never even heard of them! Immediately canceled the card and will be refunded in about a month.
A  23rd of Jan, 2010 by
The same thing happened to me a week ago - I bought two airline tickets from Katowice to London, and within 3 hour after transaction, two other unauthorised transactions took place. When the money became blocked on my Visa credit card, it sait that one ransaction is oing towards charity website www.oxfam.org.uk, and the other one - towards Cebu Air Makati, whatever it is... Now I am missing about 300 EUR...
A  27th of Oct, 2010 by
N  20th of Oct, 2011 by
As a customer of Cebu Pacific Air I had always problem in booking tickets from abroad with my credit card. This occured first time in 2009. The transactions had been always denied. Long time I didn't know the reason and I could not find out. After reading this site with all the complains the explanation is complete now. Obviously my bank stopped any transaction cause of creditcard fraud as it's posted above. But the bank hotline was not informed of the reason.
Cebupacificair.com is one of the biggest domestic airline in SE-Asia. They are not interested in cheating people. My investigations found out the following most likely explanation: Some Philippine internet-gangsters opened a kind of travel agency for selling tickets to innocent customers who pay in cash. The gang uses 3rd parties creditcard identities to get money without having an own bank account. So there are no traces. That's why the Philippine police or Cebupacificair is very hard to find the cheaters. The passengers who used the tickets don't know about this activities and so there is no complain, cause the flight can be performed. The only procedure to help the airline to discover the cheaters is: after an unauthorised transaction to cebupac send quickly the data (if available) of the concerning flight or the transaction before the flight can be performed. The passengers could be interrogated about this (illigal) place of ticket purchase.
Did you use a Visa card with the verified by Visa procedure? I think this is the safest way. Many banks (for example in Germany) put any transaction with Cebu Pacific on the blacklist. The Cebu Pacific Airline lost many customers because of this blacklisting. Cebu Pacific Air is also a victim of this gangster. From nowadays check in is only possible with presenting the credit used for booking. I like to know if the cheating can go on in 2011.
N  23rd of Nov, 2017 by
Just now I was charged PhP 18620.10 for Cebu Air Telesales purchase.
N  6th of Jan, 2018 by
@Lester Ferrer What happened did the bank returned it to you? There was a transaction debiting P30, 642.60 from my bank account. Cebu Air Telesales purchase din daw.

Cebu Pacific Air Logo Cebu Pacific Air