Capital One / scam and lies

I recently received a "special offer" for 0% APR for 12 months from Capital One. The letter stated that if I used any of the three attached checks by the deadline, I would receive this low interest rate for a year. So I used two checks (both of which were attached to this letter).

However, when the transactions went through, one apparently came in as a convenience check and the other as an access check. So they started charging me a finance fee for the so called convenience check. The problem here is that it was not a convenience check. They came from the same stub, attached to the same letter. How can they come in differently? I even verified that I met all the requirements - use by date, etc.

So I called customer service and the woman was very helpful at first. She told me that I was right and that she would have it fixed. "Just check your next statement." Guess what happened?

I had to call a second time because not only did the balance not move over to 0% interest, but now they need to credit me the finance charge for the last two statements. The first woman apparently only "put in a request" and it was denied by the higher-ups. Was anyone going to let the customer know?

Now, I must call a third time to talk to a "senior account manager" because this second woman can't do anything about it.

The moral of the story: MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR FINANCE CHARGES AND QUESTION FEES THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE. And here's probably the bigger lesson: don't ever use the checks that come in the mail claiming 0% interest b/c even when you read the fine print and everything is what it's supposed to be, they still get you. Though I will continue to try to get my money back, this "processing error" is a pain in the you know what. I wonder how many processing errors occur each day.

After reading about how unhappy the company's consumers are, I wonder how they are still in business - maybe they get the first time credit card holders. (They were my first, and after almost ten years, I'm still at the same interest rate (the 0% was too good to be true). My other credit card companies reward me with low rates for my good credit.)

Va

Comments

• Va
      26th of Sep, 2008

Capital one is the absolute worst financial institution out there they try to devise ways to make you fail, I have been paying a car loan for five years without fail on time they then at the end of the loan lifr coun days you did not pay exactly on the due date (due date on the 8th of each month online banking sometimes takes a day or two to submit to them sometimes they would receive payment on the 9th or 10th at the latest falling well within grace periods allowed by all othee institutions now they say I owe an additional 87.00 bucks and I can no longer submit this final ### payment via online banking I have to send a money order to plano texas, what a crappy institution please if you are considering any business with them you should really re-consider, lets put them out of business!!!

• Lo
      8th of Feb, 2009

I have had a similar problem with this company. I was offered a 0% introductory rate for purchases and balance transfers until 2/2/09. I contacted Capital One to determine the exact date the 0% was good to and was told by the representative that a finance charge of 14.99% was being charged on my balance transfer and the offer for 0% was not good for the transfer. I asked to speak with a supervisor who then determined it was Capital Ones error and they should have processed the balance transfer at 0% so he transferred me to another person to get it corrected. The next lady said no that it was correct at 14.99% but then proceeded to tell me that the offer when I opened the account was 0% on purchases and balance transfers were the same a purchases. Which would be 0%. She told me I was incorrect and who ever I spoke to earlier misinformed me on the error on Capital Ones part. She then transferred me to another account manager who again told me that the rate is correct at 14.99%. She asked me if I had my offer paperwork and explained that I no longer had it but told her I was advised by two representatives that my offer was 0% on purchases and balance transfer. I told her why would I transfer a balance to a card that is 14.99% when I have excellent credit. It makes no sense. They have over charged me over $1000 in interest. I have been reading other peoples complaints and it seems that this company is scamming customers and when they are called on it they will do nothing to help. You have some reps that will tell you it is their fault and they will transfer you to someone who will correct it but when you get the next rep they blame it on the customer. I worked in credit for many years and would never dream of treating customers this way. Something needs to be done with Capital One and the way they are doing business.