Canadian Tire / poor service & customer relations!

Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada Review updated:
We recently contacted Canadian Tire as there were problems with changing gears. We called the towing company who started the car without issue and moved it into position to be towed to Canadian Tire. Upon arriving at the shop, we signed the car in. The next day, the assistant manager "G" contacted us advised the problem was the master cylinder and parts+labor would cost $862; 6 hours labor and the part would be sold at cost. We gave the go-ahead to have the work done.

Next day, we picked up the car. The quoted price had changed, it was now $883 even though only 4.7 hours was done (which they deemed 4.5 hours) and the part was slightly higher than the original cost. We questioned this invoice and they explained the discrepancy was due to part cost. Rather than argue, we paid the invoice and went out to get the car and go home. When we got to the car, it wouldn't start. The battery was completely dead. Fortunately, we had brought a second vehicle and was able to boost the car after going back into the shop and advising them that the battery was dead. We went home.

The next morning, when we attempted to start the car, it wouldn't start. We contacted Canadian Tire who asked us to bring the car in. So we brought the car in and left it with them. They later contacted us and advised that they had done an AVR test on the battery and that the battery was no longer good and would need to be replaced. Since the car had "been in 3 times already" they were going to be gracious enough to write-off the AVR test and installation of a new battery, provided we purchased a new battery.

We, of course, were upset about this and told them that they would replace the battery at their cost due to that the battery was working just fine prior. They gave us the runaround and argued with "G" and then later that evening with "James". Both of them told us they were on "our side" but that there was no way they could have damaged the battery. We were not taking their excuses and arranged a meeting with "Scott" (Manager) the next morning to discuss this matter. The call ended amicably. We went to meet with him and told him we were willing to pay for half a battery but that the AVR, installation and half the cost of the battery was their responsibility.

The next morning, we went down and had a meeting (behind the counter) with "Scott" who would not budge on anything and straight-out told us that we had to purchase a new battery and that he would waive the AVR test but not installation. We refused and argued with him stating that the responsibility was his as the battery worked fine when we brought them the car. He simply told us that he would "kick the car out" and we agreed. They drove the car out into the lot with the key in the ignition still running, door unlocked and window wide open and just walked away from it before we got to the car, fortunately, nobody else got to the car before we could.

We were able to recharge the battery after having a third-party mechanic take a look at it and now the battery works fine, the car starts and the battery retains a charge, not necessitating the need to spend $109.00 on a new Canadian Tire battery as the shop manager was stating. However, for a short time, the brake light would not go out. It eventually did.

On the way home today (four days after the original service), we noticed once again, there are shifting problems with the car. However we do not wish to take it back to Canadian Tire due to the obvious disregard for customer service and dutiful diligence on their part. It's hard to trust in a company that misleads.

We received a call this evening from Canadian Tire, an automated message stating that they had worked on our vehicle recently and wanted to hear from us. The message advised us to contact the Manager who, ironically, refused to take any responsibility for the work done and them know what we thought of their service.

We've heard stories about the quality of work and customer service at Canadian Tire, but never thought it would be this bad. We will never go back there again. We have in fact, decided to take the car to another shop to ensure mechanical integrity.

Comments

Ia
  5th of Mar, 2008
I took my vehicle to Canadian Tire ONCE for service, only to have the estimated price mysteriously increase by almost %80. I asked to have all the old parts returned, and this request was noted on the work order before the service began. The parts managed to disappear before I arrived to pick up the vehicle, so my willingness to cooperate also disappeared. The situation got noisy and ugly, but I won.

Canadian Tire has reached new highs in LOW customer service. And it's not just in the Auto Service Department.

Every area of every CanTire I've visited has poorly stocked shelves, messy aisles, improperly (or unlabeled) merchandise, and items in the wrong bins.

Perhaps if they stopped hiring teenagers at minimum wage, and actually TRAINED their staff, most of these problems could be rectified.

And I'm getting really tired of dealing with (otherwise unemployable) females that are too busy yapping with each other to help the customers.

CanTire head office isn't the least bit interested in dealing with the situation. As long as they keep making money nothing will ever change.

I strongly advice everyone to avoid the auto service department, and be sure to complain long and loud about every shortcoming.

Ian Millard
ianm@imillard.com
Mf
  4th of Jun, 2008
Canadian tire managers over ride each other's decisions, especially whenever it comes into batteries issues.

In my case, on manager at the Kanata, On, location told me, find your receipt and we will fully refund you of the 2nd defective battery that I purchased just days before I discovered that the battery does not hold a charge.
when I found the receipt, Adam a store manager at the kanata location told me, bring me the Wal-Mart receipt to proof for my boss that you have another battery.
then ALLAN another manager said no, just exchange and there is no refund.
Allan told Adam on the phone"I TOLD YOU, YOU CAN NOT DO THIS!!! I AM YOUR BOSS, AND I HAVE THE FINAL WORD!!"

I exchanged the battery, but you guys out there, be careful when you deal with Canadian tire, Kanata store, do not deal with a manager called ALLAN.

ALLAN the manager at the Canadian tire store location is very rood, un-sensitive with dealing with clients.

Ck
  9th of Nov, 2016
I am just starting a complaint process however if anyone would like to have a class action lawsuit brought to this business for causing damage to vehicles and not doing the work ordered etc. the lawyers only charge when its done and all legal fees are at the expense of the business = contact me via email ckponto@gmail.com - Its time we stand up to this service department at Canadian tire

Canadian Tire Logo Canadian Tire