Brinks (Now Broadview) Home Security / poor service and would not release from contract

1 Olathe, KS, United States Review updated:

After eight years as a customer, we had enough of problems with our Brinks (now Broadview) Home Security system and decided to move to ADT. Amazingly, we were told that they had been auto-renewing our contract every year, and that we were responsible for eight more months of service!

After being a loyal customer for this long, it is disgraceful that the "customer loyalty" department at the Irving, Texas headquarters of this company would tell us what they really think of their customer base.

Disgraceful company. I would never deal with them again.

Ms

Comments

• Fo
      26th of Sep, 2009

I also recently had the same experience like you and have been a customer for about 9 years. I told them that I will report them about the Broadview overcharging for my services without even notifying me (the customer). They also told me that I had until next year in my contract.

I just told to cancel my account immediately and that I will dispute all incorrect charges. This is an outrage!!!

• Mt
      28th of Sep, 2009

Horrible company. Called them out to inspect my system in a new house purchase and they never followed up with me to connect system or sign me as a new customer-- even after 3 calls. They staff their evening call centers with 12 year olds answering the phones who don't want to speak to you and just want to get you off the phone. Welcome to the B of A of home security-- too big to give personal service. Run as fast as you can.

• Lj
      5th of Oct, 2009

Just like everyone else that has posted a complaint, I too, have been a long-time customer. It wasn't until I needed someone to come out to reattach the window sensors (we had new windows installed) that I discovered the lack of customer care. Five phone calls and 2 emails later, I also thought I could cancel and move on but got the same canned response as everyone else- there is an automatic annual renewal. My list of complaints is too long to post so just please take all of our words for it and NEVER HIRE THIS COMPANY!!!

• Mi
      19th of Oct, 2009

Per their request I sent them a letter to cancel my service. Broadview never canceled the account now I'm getting letters from a debt collector. I called the customer service office and was sent to voice mail. it's been 2 days of me calling and trying to speak with Donna Green at Broadview and she hasn't returned one of my calls. Do not use this company!

• Pc
      12th of Nov, 2009

I changed from one VOIP service to another. The contract states that to notify them if I change providers. Well, I did. They are not compatible and want to sell me $300 worth of equipment so the system will work again. They do not put out a list of VOIP providers they are not compatible with. How are we suppose to know until it is too late? Now I have a system that is crap.

• Fr
      1st of Dec, 2009

Looks like I now know who NOT to sign up with. Glad I read this.

• Re
      14th of Dec, 2009

I called to cancel my contract at the three year mark because I felt $35/month was on the high side. They offered me a better deal. $19.99/month for 1 year with $10 off the first 4 months. For the last 4 months they have been withdrawing $35 and $20 each month, not the $10 as stated in my written contract. After countless phone calls, 2 letters with copys of my contract, and one fax, I have gotten no where. I did learn that their fax takes up to 48 hours to process. After waiting two days, I called Rodger back. He was off that day, but the young girl explained that they ment 48 business hours before they get a fax. Nice to know the US mail is faster than Broadview's Fax Machaine. The fraud dept with my bank is now working with them.

• Mk
      28th of Feb, 2010

Here is a letter I wrote to management:

My Alarm was not registering when the back door opened as of this afternoon. To our dismay, we called and requested an emergency technician to come out and EVERY single person we spoke with denied our request. They said that the alarm still works (even though the back door alarm did not). I explained to them that we live in a high crime neighborhood and we have a 5 month old child who's room is right next to the back door. The customer service representatives said to just arm the motion sensor - I explained that someone could still walk in the house and get to our childs room without our motion detector getting triggered. After speaking to 4 different managers, they repeatedly refused my request for immediate service. It was then at the point where I offered to FULLY pay for the technician to come out immediately. For some reason, Every single manager said they were not able to do that because more than 50% of the alarm system still was functioning. I repeadtely asked why they could not dispatch a technician if I were to pay for it - All they did was continue to restate the 50 percent policy as if I was talking to a machine. The last Supervisor was extremeny arrogant, rude, and flippant when I explained to her my childs situation and that he could easily be accessed without the alarm being triggered.
    We are now in a Hotel paying $256 per night because of your lack of service. I am extremely dissapointed with your company and how you handled this situation. It is one thing to be carefull before dispatching technicians at all hours of the day-I get that completely. When I offer to pay the technicians fee to give my wife and I piece of mind throughout the night, that is ABSOLUTELY ludicrous!
    Again, I am extremely dissapointed in your company and your customer service representatives. For this Reason, I would like to Cancel both my Business account and Personal Accounts Immediately. I will be installing an ADT System first thing Monday. I have spoken to several friends and family members who have children and are your customers. Needless to say, you will be losing substantially more customers than just me. If this goes unresoved for the rest of the weekend I will be forced to send this E-Mail to ALL local and National news franchises who would be eager to pick this story up.
    I will give you until Sunday evening to make this right.

• Di
      15th of Mar, 2010

I agree with your complaint 100%. Broadview is a terrible company in my opinion. I kept my contract with Brinks/Broadview for 5 years and after cancelling, according to the terms of my agreement, supposedly owing nothing, they claim their's a $500 equipment fee. This is nonsense. I was told I owned the equipment and there were no cancellation fees whatsoever after I fulfilled my three year agreement. They won't get a penny and I too will forward a statement of my experiences to local and National news franchises.

• Id
      7th of Jul, 2010

Wow! I was going to go w/this company until I read these complaints. ADT it is. Thanks!!! :D

• Te
      6th of Oct, 2010

Broadview's monitoring service requires connection to landline phone service. Since moving to this house we have tried Time Warner Cable and AT&T landline phone service, and in both cases the phone line repeatedly went dead for extended periods of time, with NO WARNING FROM BROADVIEW. In other words, Broadview's system failed to notify us that our house was not being monitored! Due to the phone line problems we were forced to switch to Vonage. Once informed that Broadview is not compatible with Vonage, we switched alarm companies but Broadview is still billing us for the remainder of our contract.

Broadview will receive no further payment from me. I was a loyal customer of theirs for many years and when I needed them the most -- WHEN MY PHONE LINE WENT DEAD OVER AND OVER AGAIN -- their alarm system uttered not a single beep. If my phone line had been cut by a burglar I would have been robbed blind! When my landline phone stopped working for the 7th time I switched to Vonage.

This company has received thousands of dollars in fees from me over 8 years. I was such a loyal customer that when I moved I continued their service. However, when my landline phone stopped working not once, not twice, but MANY times at my new house, Brinks/Broadview FAILED TO WARN ME of this in every instance. Furthermore, after I was forced to switch to Vonage in order to have a working landline phone, Brinks/Broadview INSISTED that I continue paying monitoring fees despite the simple fact that their company was unable to keep up with technology that has been around for several years.

• Or
      26th of Jul, 2011

I signed a 3 year contract with Brinks in December 2005 it ended in 2008. They automatically renew your contract for another year. You need to let them know, if not you are stuck. It became Broadview Security, and then it was bought out by ADT. I have called many times, but received different answers. The first time I called, they told me that I would have to pay them until August 2011, which I was fine with that. The last called I made, they said that I can cancel services, but I am stuck with the contract that I signed in 2005, until DECEMBER 2011. In other words, I will be paying them for nothing. I understand that I was in a contract but that contract was signed in 2005 with brinks. I was worried about getting burglarized, but BRINKS/BRoadview/ADT are the REAL CROOKS. ...This system is so outdated that a burglar all has to do is cut the phone line and all is left is bells and whistles. So unfair and I wouldn’t’ be surprised if this is legal. But because it is legal it does not make it right. I can’t believe that automatic ONE year contracts are acceptable in this country. They should be illegal! I have fulfilled my 3 year contract in 2008……