Bonney Plumbing / Terrible experience

In our neighborhood of older homes it is common for tree roots to work their way into the sewer line. Our house has the older terra cotta sewer line and we usually need the line to be snaked every 1-2 years. Sometimes we do it ourselves, sometimes call in a service and they usually charge around $100.

We called Bonney Plumbing this year and the guy tells its $150 to snake out the line. Its a bit high but we say fine. the Bonney Plumbing employee makes a half-hearted attempt at snaking the line, and then says that his snake is hitting an immovable obstruction. He pulls out the snake and points to the typical gunk that accumulates on the end of the snake as says that he has ran into soil in the line. He claims he will break his snake but it is very apparent he hadn't even tried.

He refuses to snake anymore (even the other direction on the sewer line) and insists we pay $250 to put a camera in the line. We refuse, and insist that he finishes snaking the line. Ultimately he makes another half-hearted attempt to snake the line in the other direction. We pay him for the snake, but the line is still clogged.

Follow-Up: We find a great guy on Craigslist who snakes the line with no problems or excuses for $100. Finds a clump of roots and toilet paper in the usual spot. And camera would cost $50, but he didn't recommend it since the line was flowing clean once the obstructing roots were removed.

Follow-Up #2: two months later during a remodel that tore up my yard anyway...I replaced the affect part of my sewer line myself. The old terra cotta was in great shape, with tree roots getting in at the elbow joint at that one single location, nowhere else. Certainly no broken sewer lines into the dirt, as claimed by the Bonney plumbing ripoff artist.

Ja

Comments

• Le
      30th of Jul, 2013
    Bonney Plumbing - Permits
    Bommey Plumbing

I had Bonney Plumbing Co, Sacramento CA do four jobs for me two which required permits at time work was being done. They assured me that they collect for the permit and would get the permit and have the inspection arranged. and also says in their website the importance of the permits. Bonney found a way to pocket the money and overcharge the fees and never pay the cities and counties involved. The CA Law says the property owner is responsible to see the permits are obtained and most are not aware of this requirement. I contacted the County of Solano and the City of Dixon when no one showed up to inspect after several months. County work done Oct 1012, -- City of Dixon Feb 2013. Both offices said no permit had been requested and I was responsible and could be finded. Called Bonney Office and manager said no permits were being pulled for some time so who got the money? Bonney charged $163 for Dixon actual permit was $39 and County I paid Bonney $150 for the $119 permit. I was ripped off and cities never saw the permit money till I complained= Seems no one really cares what the contractors do, so be careful The CA State Board of Licencing is now involved in this fraud and will be investigating. Mr Bonney called and then sent me a letter saying permits were being obtained for my work. I asked him about all the other people and lack of permits and he said I should not be concerned. Mr Bonney sent me a letter and a check to in his words pay for my inconvenience. Be careful when dealing with the Plumbing Contractor.