Bluegreen Resorts / do not buy from them

Do not...I repeat...do NOT buy a Bluegreen timeshare under any conditions. No matter how sweet it may sound, it is a rip-off. My wife and I bought one, and we are in a continual state of regret about it. It is virtually impossible to sell (the same amount of points we bought for $10, 000 are selling for about $3, 000 online), plus we have yearly fees of about $700 that must be paid for us to even be able to keep using it.

Here are some of the things you may not hear while you're in a Bluegreen presentation... we didn't:

-each year you will have to pay both "maintenance fees" and "club dues, " which for us amount to over $700. If you don't pay, you can't use any of your points at all until you do pay.

-many of the resorts they tell you about can only be booked in 7-day increments, which means you'll take that trip and no others for two years because you'll use up all your points on that single trip.

-we just found this one out... if you don't have the points, you can't book a trip... for example, we get 12, 000 new points in July, so I called to book something in August. Well, I can't do that until I "have the points." Of course, by the time the points actually show up, all the places will be booked for the summer. We're all paid up on maintenance fees and club dues, so we will definitely get the points, but too bad... we have to wait. The person on the phone even sympathized with me and said he understood what I was saying, but too bad.

-they say they will help you rent your timeshare, but this is a joke. Your timeshare will never rent for anything near what you need to maintain the fees on it, much less pay it off.

-take a look at this web site to see what points are actually worth if you buy them on eBay: http://popular.ebay.com/ns/Real-Estate/Bluegreen.html If you really desperately want Bluegreen points, don't buy them from Bluegreen.

-they tell you that you can book things just a day or two in advance, but this is almost never possible in real life. Things are booked up months in advance.

Owning a Bluegreen timeshare is like a weight that you have to drag around with you for the rest of your life. There are many places that will rent timeshares if you like that kind of thing, and you can usually get them fairly cheap and without any obligation for the future. When I imagine paying $700 a year for the rest of my life, it feels amazingly scary. Don't do it. You're locking yourself into something that will never end when there is absolutely no need to do so.

They give you the free trip, then take advantage of how little you've researched timeshares when you're in the presentation. They tell you this price can only be offered this one time, and that you can't take another trip. It's all cheap sales techniques, and they wouldn't be necessary if it were something people really benefited from.

We even looked on the internet during our sales presentation... if only I had come across a letter like this, we probably wouldn't have bought, and we'd be much better off. At least take a few days to think about it. If they can't give you that long to think, they're tricking you anyway.

Buying a Bluegreen timeshare is a terrible decision. They, like many salespeople, will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy, knowing that they will not personally be accountable for any misrepresentations of the truth later on.

One thing they promised us is that we could rent our timeshare. Now they've done away with that aspect as well, so you either use it, keep paying about $700 in fees each year along with whatever you paid originally, or you just lose the points. Every letter we receive is something else they're taking away from us.

The most recent thing that happened was that we had tried to rent ours out for 10, 000 points (most of our points) before they decided to stop letting people do that. So I called today, 10 days in advance, to check and make sure it was rented, since this is the cut-off for when I can cancel without losing points. So the guy on the phone told me that yes, it is rented. And I asked, "Well, what happens if the people cancel sometime in the next 10 days?" He said, "We don't have any control over that, sir." And I said, "I understand that, but I don't either. So what happens to my points if they cancel?" And he said, "Well, you lose those points."

So some renter I don't even know can decide to back out at the last minute, and I lose 10, 000 points and don't get to travel or make any money from my timeshare for 2 years! That seems fair...

Everything Bluegreen does seems to be a way to get themselves more money and screw over their "valued customers."

And Bluegreen, if you're reading this, don't bother calling me trying to get me to revoke the complaint... we're trying to sell our timeshare as quickly as we can and hopefully never have any interaction with you for as long as we live.

Va

Comments

Lo
  19th of Aug, 2008

I see you have nothing new to add to this very old post.
And vy the way I have told you previously that you can borrow you points once you have paid your MF so when you pay your fees at the end of Oct then phone and borrow your 2009 points and make a reservation you will be 10 months out then

Li
  18th of Sep, 2008

help!!! I am stuck too. There is no way out. I have contacted a lawyer. Email me if you get out.

God help us all.

De
  15th of Aug, 2009

As a former BG employee I'd like to comment on some of your points.
Let's talk about some of the things you claim to have not heard during the sales presentation.
Maintenance fees (MF's) and Vacation Club Dues (VCD's): You are not being truthful. You absolutely 100% were told about them. You simply chose not to listen. In fact, your salesman went over a very detailed checklist with you to make sure you understood some key points including MF's and VCD's. You had to initial next to each item and then you signed the bottom of the page. Don't say you didn't. This form is filled out completely by EVERY owner, no exceptions. You could NOT have purchased without it. And of course if you don't pay you can't use the club. If you don't pay your credit card you can't use it, same principal.
Rentals: Yes you can still rent your timeshare to make money off it. BG no longer does it for you (that program was discontinued for lack of interest). You now have to go thru an outside rental company of your choosing. Some rentals work, others don't. Bottomline, you purchased points so you could go on vacation. If you choose not to and decide you want to rent then you're on your own. It's just a benefit. It's your choise to do it and it does not reflect on BG in any way. And yes, if your renter decides to back out then you are still subject to the normal cancellation policy. Why wouldn't you be? It's YOUR timeshare, you are still responsible.
Booking a day or two in advance: Yes you can. You can book something checking in the same day. IF it's available. Reservations are ALWAYS based on availability. Common sense tells you that if you're booking last minute then your options are few. It is just so arrogant to think that the company has held inventory aside just for you.
Bottomline... timeshare is not for everyone. BG is in no way a bad company. It's been my experience that those owners who complain the most are the ones who didn't read their contract and quite honestly had no idea what they were buying.
As terrible as it sounds the only thing that matters is your contract. Nothing that was said during the sales presentation means anything at all. If it's not in your contract it doesn't exist.
And let's talk about the high pressure sales. Everyone complains about being sold a timeshare but at what point do you accept responsibility for your own actions. The salesman was not holding a gun to your head. You could have walked out at any time.
You chose to attend the presentation. YOU chose to purchase. And YOU chose to sign the contracts without reading them.
And after you purchased you had a rescission period that you could have canceled and gotten a full refund. That rescission period is for you to read over your contract AGAIN and make your final decision.
I don't mean this to sound harsh but it is what it is. BG is a company. Any companies goal is to make money. They have you sign a contract to protect their interests. You can't just willy nilly decide you're done with a contract because it didn't pan out to what you "wanted" it too.
Don't buy big ticket items and sign contracts without reading and understanding them.