Bill Me Later / Bill Me Later tries a bait and switch

MD, United States Review updated:
3.75
We made a purchase from Grizzly Industrial and used the Bill Me Later offer. This is the only purchase we've ever made using Bill Me Later. As this was being offered by a company that we had grown to trust, we didn't think twice about taking advantage of this "deal."

Each statement clearly said the promotional period of zero percent interest ended 3/1/08. Each month we made payments, the last one being Feb 11th which paid the balance off in full. They received it and processed it on Feb 20th.

Due to the frequency and similarity of similar problems had by others, it's clear these "problems" are not the result of poor systems or incompetent staff. Much more troubling is that it appears to be a very core concept of the business model at Bill Me Later. Something like this doesn't happen repeatedly to so many people just by mistake.

It's on purpose.

This company is making money from people by being dishonest.

It's a shame that otherwise reliable businesses are going to be tarnished by having such a dishonest "partner." I'm letting every business I come across who uses Bill Me Later that I'm LESS likely to use them as a result.

Comments

Wi
  29th of Feb, 2008
This is what your Attorney General is for. You gotta complain to the right people to make a change.
Ni
  26th of Apr, 2008
Yes, that is what AGs are for, and fully plan on complaining to them, loud and clear, and BML. They tout "zero fraud", and if that's not a crock, I don't know what is. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, so we'll see if that's true when I go on TV on a station that reaches a demographic of over 2, 000, 000 people and tell my nightmare of a story. BML tried to bill me for furniture I never received. I complained and the charges were removed. Now almost 3 months later, they've recharged my account and say that the charges are valid b/c I didn't apply for the refund within some certain timeframe. That's a LIE. And on top of that, I NEVER got the merchandise! It was a solid granite-top dining room table, plus 4 chairs. It was to be delivered via freight. There would be a RECORD of that delivery, along with a piece of paper containing my SIGNATURE. But BML can't seem to come up with that. According to their terms of service in section 7a at https://www.securecheckout.billmelater.com/paycapture-content/fetch?hash=PD4106KD&content=bmlweb/bmlwebtnc.html, I should be COVERED by BML. They're willfully disregarding their own LEGALLY BINDING TERMS OF SERVICE, so let's see how that works out for them in the media. And with the AGs, and in a court of law.
He
  5th of May, 2008
Nicky,

I work for Bill Me Later and came across your posting. I would be happy to assist you with this situation. Please feel free to contact me at heather.fields@billmelater.com

Sincerely,
Heather Fields
Bill Me Later, Inc.
heather.fields@billmelater.com
Ju
  1st of Dec, 2008
I see that a person named Heather Fields, supposedly from Bill Me Later, has responded to a number of complaint posts. Has anyone tried working with this person? What were the results?
Hb
  10th of Dec, 2009
Hi there,

I’ve read several stories about consumers being charged inflated interest fees – some exceeding an APR of more than 100 percent.

Not sure where you're from, but these charges are unfair and illegal according to California’s consumer protection laws. I work with a law firm investigating Bill Me Later for illegal billing practices and they want to hear from California residents taken by this scheme who may be interested in participating in a case. Share your story at http://www.hbsslaw.com/bill_me_later.htm

Hopefully, we can help prevent this from happening to others.

Tina
Ri
  26th of Feb, 2011
Bill Me Later was certainly dishonest with me, too. BML is a PayPal Company! I always trusted Paypal, but no longer. They made a big mistake getting into this shady business of manipulating your due date and payment methods available so your last payment is late and they can rape you for that 19.999% interest.

Bill Me Later Logo Bill Me Later