Best Buy / improperly priced items

1 Patchogue, NY, United States Review updated:

I was shopping at Patchogue NY (Store 824)today to buy a pack of CD-Rs. Sitting on the shelf (fronted and faced) were several brands and types. 2 of them were placed above stickers that read $8.99 and they were seperated by 4 or more other products. I took the one set that was a Memorex 50 count CD-R because it would be easier to label as opposed to the Black Memorex CD-R's that were priced just the same. At the register, the plain Memorex CD-R's rang up at $22+. I said to the cashier that they were labeled at $8.99 and she replied, "Oh, that's what everyone says. You have to get the Black ones." I am sorry but by NYS law, if the product is priced as such, the consumer is to pay THAT price. I walked back to get the Black CD-R's and stopped at the Customer Service desk to tell the employee what was going on. She didn't seem to interested in the fact that I had to go back to the far corner of the store to get a product to replace another because their own employees didn't stock it properly. Chances are, at this point, the facings might have been corrected. I did mention that in the stores I worked in (I have 17 years retail experience) that if the product was priced as such, then the customer would pay THAT price. I could have bought up every last 50 pack CD-Rs for $8.99. And that is by LAW. Plus, as an employee, I would have been written up (along with every other employee) for stocking the shelves incorrectly whether I did it or not. It is not as if one or two packs were incorrectly placed on the shelf, but there was an entire facing with over a dozen lined up for $8.99. To make matters worse, the cashier rolled her eyes and told me, "Just get the Black ones." In my years of retail experience, you do not chastise the customer for the store's inadequacy. Nor do you SEND the customer to get the RIGHT product. Either the cashier or another employee goes and gets the product. I am partially disabled. I have permanent nerve damage in my back and legs. Not only did I have to walk to the far reaches of the store once, but twice? All because of employees who aren't willing to help their customers or stock the shelves properly? I was always a loyal and frequent customer of Best Buy, but after this encounter, I am most likely to take my business elsewhere.

Comments

Ge
  19th of Feb, 2009

This one is common too. You're right. If it is on a peg hook at that price, and there are multiple of the product on that hook, then that is the price you pay. This is law. Unfortunately, when customers browse, they tend to not put things back where they picked them up. Hence arguable suspicion. Really, for the amount it would cost them, they should have just given you the incorrect price then fixed the isle. But you are absolutely right... Customer service persons at best buy get in trouble if they give too many price corrections. So they often take a chance that it isn't the perfect set of circumstances regarding mislabeled prices.