Belk / no credit card upgrade

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I have been with belk department stores since 2003. I have always paid my balance off every time I use the card thus having a perfect payment history. To get an upgrade on their credit card you must spend 600.00 per year. Well my husband just lost his job in july and does not have an income. We use my money to buy much needed winter wear due to this cold front. I called to get an upgrade on our credit card so we would get a good discount on the clothes and was told no you have not spent 600.00 this year. It is only january. She refused to give me credit for the money I spent over the period of 2003 to 2009. She did not care that our payments were paid perfectly and always on time. Her answer was simply "no". Maybe if they would look at a customers payment history and how much money they spend without seting such a high limit during such hard times they would have more customers. The stores are almost always close to empty. I like to shop on line since I do not drive but their site is limited and use the macy.com site instead. I am a good customer of belk but am considering canceling my cards and just sticking with macys. Belk needs to know if they cannot make their customers happy they will not be around much longer.

Comments

• Fi
      4th of Jun, 2009

Just complain to management and they will give it to you for free :-) I stopped a girl who was known for ticket switching and her mom was an "elite" customer and the store manager called her the next day and gave her the dress that she switched tickets on for FREE!!!
    Next, I am proof that you can be fired from Belk for not getting enough instant credits. I worked for the company for 13 years and never was written up for anything!! I missed my goal in this wonderful economy by 2 and am now unemployed. I can not believe what a horrible company they are. The other thing is they did a major pay cut and pretty much brought most employees down to minimum wage...
    Glad you cut up your card. To those that aren't having trouble now with instant credits unfortunately some of those employees are racially profiling and giving free gifts away knowing the person won't be approved but wants the gift (cosmetics). People are taking credits applications to the streets to save their jobs!! Sad and SHAME on BELK

• Ye
      20th of Aug, 2009

Even to buy at the Store and don't talk abut their credit card. Belk Credit card it's the worst credit card you can choose. They charge you even if you do not used. I had JcPenney card and they never used that policy.

14th of Jun, 2010

DO NOT get a Belk card. CAVEAT EMPTOR: they have no way of tracking payments though electronic funds transfer. I made my payment through my banks (very reliable) online bill pay service. Three weeks later I received a bill from Belk with late fees and warnings that I had not paid the previous month's bill. When I called customer service and gave them the date of the transaction, the amount, the EFT number, etc. they told me they would "file a statement" but that I was responsible for paying the whole amount again as they have no way to track electronic payments that come into them.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BELK. I've been patronizing them for 40 years and it stuns me how much their customer service has gone down hill over the past 5 years.