Barnes and Noble / satisfaction is also at the customer's expense

Hi everyone, we're hoping someone nice can resolve this blog for us. We'd like to know why we were denied our money back from Barnes and Noble, when going into the Enfield store here in town to do something simple as returning 2 books. Is it your policy to keep our money at all costs, while thinking we will be satisfied with store credit only, immediately after we were obviously dissatisfied with our purchase? So we should pay all expenses of going to a store, buying a shipping box,tape, a label, shipping the items back to you, so you can't keep our money? Basically it's losing money shopping with you, and satisfaction is also at the customer's expense.

That, and when we asked to speak to "your manager" the person's answer was that they were the manager Then moments later, when asked to speak to his manager again, he was inclined to say the manager isn't in until 9 am the next day? Being told the return policy is on the web site, but knowing it was never shown during checkout isn't customer satisfaction. Store credit is not a refund. We want our money back without having additional expenses."

I could train a monkey to slide that card and give a refund - why can't Barnes and Noble? Because they want to keep your money at all costs. They know the cost of shipping two books isn't worth the aggravation. So- keep the customers money. If you've ever shopped at a major department store, you'd know they accept returns from other stores, online purchases or not - and give a full refund, not store credit. They never even cared why we wished to return the items.

The reply from Barnes and Noble, whom naturally decided to send a form letter instead of answering the question.

Comments

• Ri
      8th of Dec, 2006

Keep your receipt! Show proof of purchase

• Er
      14th of Jan, 2007

Just an idea...if the items came from BN.com and not the store then the packing slip should also include a return shipping label for returning products free of charge. This has been my experience with online orders from other companies like J. Crew and Old Navy.

• Kr
      12th of Jun, 2008

I apologize for your experience. I am a former retail manager and can answer your questions based on years of experience as both a customer and a manager. Most retail stores print their return policy on the receipt, either on the front or the back. Barnes and Noble prints theirs on the back. Also, at the checkout counter there should be things that look like place mats that most people assume are there to make it more comfortable when signing credit card slips. Those "place mats" frame the return policy as well.

Regarding online orders, the paperwork enclosed should clearly state the steps you must take if you are dissatisfied with the item. At many stores, the online warehouse stocks items that are not sold in the brick and mortar store. In those cases, the brick and mortar store cannot restock the item and their computer system is not set up to "receive" inventory that is not already in the database which is sourced at the corporate level. If a store were to "make an exception" you and they both run the risk that your return will not complete successfully (bad idea if it was a credit card purchase). It may be inconvenient to return the item via postal service but online ordering, by nature, comes with inherent risks that the customer must be willing to take.

Regarding the "I am the manager" comment that the person you spoke with made; Barnes and Noble, as well as many retail stores, employ anywhere from 3 to 6 managers per store. You will find a General Manager or Store Manager who is the highest ranking manager at that physical location. This person is primarily a "paper pusher" who dwells in back office and works the day shift. Below the GM will be 1-3 Assistant Store Managers who are the "faces on the floor" as well as opening and closing authorities who count the money and lock or unlock the store. Below that, you have Department or Merchandising Managers who are glorified full time employees who are given management responsibilities and a set of keys to the store. From there you have Leads who are full time employees that have "cashier codes" that allow them to approve returns or void transactions so the higher-ranking managers can focus on bigger tasks (otherwise the higher managers would constantly be running to the registers to enter a code).

That being said, the person you spoke with could have been anywhere from a Head Cashier (who is considered a manager without keys to the building) to the Assistant Manager. If you asked to escalate he would be referring to the General Manager who usually works the early shift and would "be in the next day".

I hope this has cleared things up for you a little bit.

• Ka
      3rd of Apr, 2009

Get this folks. I made an online order and received a ship date of August 4, 2009, when I placed the order April 2, 2009. That's ridiculous. So, I called to cancel the order and take my business to Amazon. The lady said that the shipping date listed on my account was a mistake and that my order would ship next week. I was so tweaked about the entire BN experience that I just wanted to cancel the entire thing. She said no. I asked her, "If my order isn't shipping until next week, why can't I cancel it since it hasn't left the warehouse?" She said, "Oh, that's company policy." That's ridiculous, people! I should have the right to cancel, if the order has not shipped. I will NEVER do business with Barnes and Noble again!

21st of May, 2009

They can't return items without a receipt because you can just grab any old unread book from your shelf and return it, and they lose money.

Their return policy is 2 weeks with a receipt, no returns without a receipt, for obvious reasons.

What B&N really need to do is have a sticker for their books that says they're from BN.

• Fr
      2nd of Oct, 2009

Your return was most likely after 14 days. No exceptions. We're not a library. After 14 days your getting store credit. AT BEST. Policy says you get nothing after 14 days. You can get store credit if your lucky, and the manager makes an exception. But the bottom line is, that If you wait around over 2 weeks to return the books, then obviously to a manager, it's going to look like you read the books. DUH

• Ra
      5th of Jan, 2011

corporate BS!!!

• Dc
      18th of Sep, 2018
    Barnes & Noble - Price matching policy and customer service at a local store
    Fort Lauderdale
    Florida

on 8-27-17 I bought the princeton AP human geography book, and asked to price match barnes & noble online prices. Cashier stated "No i don't make the rules" in a rude tone. It was returned and purchased on Amazon prime for $12 with free shipping . Do to your outdated price matching policy and rude customer service I will not buy from you amymore.

• Bo
      22nd of Oct, 2018
    Barnes & Noble - Moleskine pocket address book
    Waukegan
    Illinois

Package was sliced by a USPS worker with a box knife. Cover has a slice in it

Order 48028880

1st of Nov, 2018
    Barnes & Noble - Book order
    Oxford
    Massachusetts

Order a book on line My grandfather's ship Uss Missouri. It was charged on my debit card and thenjoy I got a credit for same amount and was never notified why. Please chec on my order

• Ad
      4th of Nov, 2018
    Barnes & Noble - Perplexus original
    Brooklyn
    New York

I just bought this perplexus ball on Friday when I opened it up it was broken I bought it in the Barnes & Noble's on seventh Avenue in Brooklyn New York
    I would like for you to please send a new one
    2210 ave k Brooklyn ny 11210

• Je
      12th of Nov, 2018
    Barnes & Noble - Service they prefer only white!!
    Los Angeles
    California

Stupid 10% coupon only give away white, , , _!!! Even i do not need it ...his name was george i when 2017.02.13 7:00~7:10 pm please check cctv!!!what a great customer service!!! The grove location