Barclays Bank / Serious security problem, online banking and help desk suck!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I am very disillusioned with Barclays Bank and am currently having a problem with their online banking (which must have serious security problems) and their apparent inability to help me. It is the case that I travel a lot and am therefore not able to get to a bank very often, once a month max.

On 24Nov06 I tried to set up a new payment online. Having gone through the correct procedures I kept getting a failure message so I called the Bank. I was told that they had added a “new facility” that stopped me setting up new payments online to people I had not paid before. I made it very clear that I was not amused at being told that a ‘new facility’ was added that takes away functionality. A very interesting use of the English language.

They said that with a 5 digit telephone banking number, which I did not know, they could help. I said that this was unbelievable considering that to do online banking I already needed 4 pieces of information: my surname, my unique 8 digit number, a 5 digit pass number and to be able to quote two random letters from my secret word.

To solve this problem I was told that I must go into a bank and get a member of the bank staff to set up the payment and save the payment details so that I could then use them online in the future. The fact that I was out of the country and would not be able to do this for at least a month was, “none of their concern”.

So on 28Dec06 I finally got to an open bank and it took two (yes two) 'Personal Bankers' 15 minutes to realize that they did not know how to do this. They said that they could make a payment but could not save the details. Their work-around was to set up a standing order with a single payment. This way, they said, it would be possible to save the details. I told them that I did not want a standing order I wanted a one-off payment with the details saved.

Needless to say I had to accept their only offer.

Yes, you guessed it, when I used Barclays online banking I could see the standing order payment had been made but there were no details saved. So I am now stuck, again. Service? What service?

I have now made two email complaints via the Barclays Bank web site, one on 24Nov06 and the other on 8Jan07. Both have not been answered. It is also interesting to note that neither complaint was given a tracking number, either on the complaint page of the website or in the automated email response. Yes, I do have dated proof that I complained. I assume that this lack of a tracking number is their way of facilitating the loss of awkward complaints.

It should be noted that the automated email response says: "We aim to respond to emails received before 5pm on the same day. Otherwise we'll contact you before noon the next day."

Am I the only one who thinks that Barclays Bank has a serious security problem and that their online banking and help desk suck? Any comments...

Va

Comments

29th of Nov, 2007

i have applied for the credit card / i want to know the status pls help me out. my mobile no is 9902805717. DOB IS 15/01/1980

2nd of Jan, 2008

i have applied for a credit card i wanted to know the status please help me my mobile number is 9911413231 date of birth is 12 march 1981 i wanted the contact number also beacause card might be issued. i receved one phone call he given one phone number i try to contact but it not working so please healp me

• Su
      6th of Jan, 2008

i have applied for the credit card. I want to know the current status of my card. pls help me out. my mobile no is 9840445368. DOB IS 03/05/1983.

16th of Jan, 2008

Worst applying experience which i had with the Barclays bank.

Meant only for cheating...

• Dh
      20th of Jan, 2008

I have get my confermation about my credit card that you will get your card within 15 days so thats y i want to know about my card that in how many days i will get that. Pls repply me immidiatly pls.

• Ka
      19th of Feb, 2008

respected sir
    i have applied for a credit card all variyfication are cmplited
    today i have recieved a call that i will get my card in five days
    so please send it

my mobile number is 9224160176

thankyou

• Sk
      29th of Feb, 2008

RESPECTED SIR,I HAV APPLIED FOR CREDIT CARD,VERIFICATION IS COMPLETED......................I WANT 2 KNOW THE STATUS.MY MOBILE NO. 9866041190..........D.O.B.14-04.1985

• Sj
      8th of Mar, 2008

DEAR SIR,I HAV APPLIED FOR CREDIT CARD,VERIFICATION IS COMPLETED......................I WANT 2 KNOW THE STATUS.MY MOBILE NO. 9849033544 $ my reference number is
    "20020874707". Pls revert back as soon as possible and thanx for your co-operation.

• Mi
      13th of Apr, 2008

Barclays closed one of my deposit accounts and after a period re-allocated the bank account number to someone else. In the meantime my share dividends were still being paid into this account by BACS transfer and although Barclays new that the account number had been reallocated, they still directed dividends due to me to the new owner of the account. Now Barclays refuses to refund my money and has done little to retrieve my money from the new account holder who must be laughing all the way from the bank. I have banked with Barclays for 50 years, but am slowly withdrawing my funds from them ! Are there any suggestions as to what I should do?

• Su
      27th of May, 2008

i do not received my credit card after recieved my refcence no 0150214657
    pls tell me status of my credit card on my email or phone no 9899222477

• Po
      19th of Oct, 2008

customer service non exsistant. someone took out a £23, 000, 00 loan using my name and details without my authority. when I reported this to barclays was told it would take 2 months to look into . . .as they had to prove it was fraud first! this is an insult to my integrity. to date six weeks nothing has been done. needless to say I am moving bank after 30 years here. ironically a short while ago I went to draw out some money from the counter from a cashier who has served me for years and because I didnt have any identification I could not get £50 and yet someone has got this loan without even signing any forms. Great security!

• So
      9th of May, 2009

respected sir.
    i want to know about refundable deposit code. i want to get this code for A/C NO 0294763354343 of Barclays Bank PLC london branch.
    if possible kindly provide me above code
    thanks my email id is bharat7579@yahoo.com

• Ve
      3rd of Dec, 2010

i answered all the stupid questions, but couldnt confirm the amount my sister paid to my acct??? I was refused help in activating my online banking!!! the stupid supervisor, who offered i put in complain from getting on the fone, even refused to transfer me to a different dept, cos i failed to confirm amount paid into ...my acct, but confirmed every other information. whats worse? i have changed my name, and he refered to me as my married name shortly before he said, your details dont match when i gave him my maiden name?!!! he breeched the bloody security by calling me a name, i no longer bare??? i have now switched accts!!! they can go to hell!!!we need to promote this group.

• Je
      31st of Oct, 2011

Ridiculous charges and no explanation of them steer well clear!!!:-(