Banfield Pet Hospital / awful company

I took our pet for an office visit and several times declined their "plans" but they wouldn't give up! They just kept asking if I wanted the plan for $442 or the one for $514. And these prices didn't include the medication they were suggesting.

Since they were so determined that I was going to give them some major money, they charged almost $70 for a 3 day supply of ear ointments, in addition to the $45 charge for the visit. I got no refills, of course, so my dog will have the same problem in a few days unless I put up with the sales pitch again and pay another $115. And buying one of their plans wouldn't even help with the cost, since the meds are not included and are ridiculously over-priced - from Banfield's own Glenhaven brand, so they profit from anything they prescribe, also.

Too bad they can't care half as much about a pet's health as they care about filling their pockets. I've had dogs all my live and never objected to paying a fair amount for pet care, but this is a rip-off. I'm out a good chunk of hard-earned money and my dog's problem is not even solved. Obviously, I'll never go back.

Va

Comments

• Va
      22nd of Oct, 2008

I took my 11 wk Dalmatian puppy in to Banfield b/c she had a small lump on her neck that seemed to be tender when touched. The attending vet looked at her & immediately told us it was cancer & said that it needs to be surgically removed IMMEDIATELY or that my puppies life was in danger. For some reason, in the back of my mind I did not believe the lump was cancerous at all. I had to ASK THE VET for an anti-inflammatory to try to bring down the swelling. The veterinarian was very rude and condescending when I would ask her questions about my puppies' health.

She gave us a weeks' worth of anti-inflammatory & an antibiotic & we scheduled the appt for surgery, b/c we didn't know what else to do. During the course of the next week, the bump started to get smaller, so we decided to take Kali to another vet to get a second opinion.

This vet was EXTREMELY thorough & even withdrew fluid from the bump & sent it to the lab to be tested, a procedure that the vet at Banfield told me was not possible. The results came back today, & the lab determined that the bump is an inflammation & has absolutely no cancerous cells whatsoever.

Banfield wanted to put my 3 month old puppy through a surgery that was not necessary at all. They determined that the bump was cancerous based on absolutely no medical findings. I will never take Kali back to Banfield again!!!

Hopefully this review will save somebody from the stress & worry that I went through to find out her bump was nothing! Luckily she is all better & happy as can be.

• Ba
      5th of Nov, 2008

OK, not because i work for them i would say that, but i did work in a nice looking highpriced emergency hospital and other general practices.
    The plan is a great deal, why because for the retail value u pay only 50% for the services u get with the plan not to mention office visits are always FREE, meaning if u go there lets say 7 times a year u already got ur money back just from the office visits
    Come on there is no vet hospital that would give u free drugs, also the medication price is within reasonable price, DO UR RESEARCH FIRST BEFORE SAYING IT IS A RIP OFF.
    also working in other hospitals never seen free services been done to animals they charge u for every thing and u have to pay 50% upfront or LEAVE. u know how many times we helped owners who can't afford estimates specially if u r one of our plans client, that u don't like.
    just today our Dr. insisted on giving free medication worth of at least 50$ beacuse the owner couldn't afford it, also free xrays for another pet. SO PLEASE DON"T SAY BANFIELD IS TRYING TO RIP OFF SOME ONE< WE NEED TO MAKE MONEY TO SURVIVE LIKE ANY OTHER PRACTICE AT LEAST WE R PROVIDING A FFORDABLE SERVICES AND COPASSIONATE CARE.

• Ba
      5th of Nov, 2008

Don't judge the whole practices because of one doctor's mistake, yes i know he is wrong and should have adviced u to do an Aspiration biopsy. but this doesn't make all of banfield's practice bad because of a dr's mistake.

• Ri
      16th of Sep, 2009

You were one of the lucky ones. Thank goodness you were able to get to a competent vet. As far as the useless comment above made by a Banfield nurse what would you expect. Certainly one can see by the hundreds of complaints on Banfield they should be put out of business.

• Ra
      21st of Nov, 2009

Ripped, your comment isn't that smart either. Banfield Nurse is right. You can't judge a whole company by one dr. i know that you can't judge a bump or lump just by looking at it or touching it. you have to draw fluids from it and send it off to be tested. that is the ONLY way to see if it is cancerous or not. so, whoever told you it was cancerous without taking a piece of it must not have been a dr. it was probably the nurse or even the front desk person for that to happen. and for you to "have to ask" the dr for medication, that can't be right. you either didn't give the dr a second to offer any type of medication or the dr didn't want your money.

• Ra
      21st of Nov, 2009

you go banfield nurse. once again, if you can't afford pets, and give them a healthy, long life, don't have them. it's not banfield's fault that your dog has an ear infection or needs ear cleaner. it's your fault for bringing your pets into an environment with unclean air.

also, no banfield is going to keep begging you to sign up on the plan. we honestly could care less if you say no the first time. even though it is a great deal, and saves a ridiculous amount of money, we could care less if a client like you signs up on a plan or not.

23rd of Dec, 2012

Banfield are ###, thieves. Solicited HARD for me to purchase Well-care plan when in Los Angeles Banfield emergency for one of my dogs literally on way Moving to another CA city 3 hrs away. They ASSURED me there was a Banfield in that well known city, and that I'd need a vet there under health circumstances of dog. True, so I bought plan. When in new city looked up location of Banfield. Nearest was 1 hour 45 min away!!! I called LA Banfield that sold it and they agreed I should be allowed to drop but could do 0 but give me 'corporate' number, who REFUSED to let me out of plan. They continued to charge my cr card for ea month for duration of yr long plan until I thought to change my ATM visa card so they could no longer bill me. Sadly they had gotten majority of the 'plan' pymts, Still for the one month they could not bill they ruined my credit by still refusing to conceded they sold me a service they did not OFFER. They may as well have sold me a cruise ticket for a ship that did not exist. This yr, 3 yrs later, they opened a Banefield here in the Petsmart. I tell everyone I can: stay away