Bally Total Fitness / How to cancel in an efficent way? Please help

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Hi everyone

I was researching today and I read a whole bunch of reviews on how it's difficult to get out of the contract at Bally's. People were tricked into 3 year commitment. Their paperwork took forever to get processed and they had to pay an additional month of fees while waiting for it to be canceled. Unfortunately, I signed up for Bally's yesterday. However, my contract is not 3 years, it's 2 months. I wish I had looked at this carefully before I signed up. My friends signed up and none of them told me it sucked. :(

Anyway, what is the most efficient way to cancel the membership? I'm planning to cancel it after 2 months. I will get billed every 15th. I'm guessing my contract ends on April 15th. I don't want my membership to be active after April 15th. I read in the contract that it asks for a 30 day notice. Do I need to give a reason?

I'm planning to send 3 letters, a whole bunch of emails and 3 faxes.

Comments

• Ju
      11th of Feb, 2009

well man this guys sucks.. they told me the same to try it out and if i dont like it i can end the contract... well i tried it out for a week.. my job change my hours.. so i said i cant come to the gym anymore after 5 days ... then they said that i cant bcuz i was suppost to cancel before 3 days.. so if i wanted to end this i have to pay 1400 dollars.

now im payin 40 dollars a month for a gym i cant go.. nowonder why is going bankrupt.. those sale guys sucks they lied to you to make you sign.

oh and if you call the company they are very rude. to you.. they make it impossible to talk to ..

just wait a lil i think the company is going under ...

• Sp
      8th of Apr, 2009

To cyclone123

For how long did you sign your contract and for how much?

Cancelling the right way means "under the term of your contract"

* Do NOT call the gym to cancel.
    * Do NOT email the gym to cancel.
    * Do NOT visit the gym to cancel.
    * Do NOT meet with anyone at the gym to cancel.

These will make everything worse:

* Do NOT stop your direct debit.
    * Do NOT cancel your credit card.
    * Do NOT close your bank account.
    * Do NOT tell your credit card company you lost your credit card.

Check these web site

California

Example: California State Law gives you tons of extra protection:
    California Civil Code Sections 1812.80-1812.97
    TITLE 2.5. CONTRACTS FOR HEALTH STUDIO SERVICES

Hope this will help

• Do
      28th of Jun, 2009

While it seems like the only thing we can do is post on forums and complaint sites, this is not true! I think that everyone really needs to get together and try to bring this evil, immoral and corrupt company down. This is what I have done so far. Made copies of flyers and distributed it near colleges and even near Bally Total Fitness itself about my story. I also wrote an article about it online.

If the government won't do anything about it and if the Better Business Bureau won't do anything about it, no matter how many complaints they get, we have to take things into our own hands. I recently wrote an email to Michael Moore, the famous director and creator of award winning documentaries such as Sicko, Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 through his website at www.michaelmoore.com or you can email him directly at [protected]@michaelmoore.com.

I know that this is a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe if enough people write to him, he will pay attention to us. He is a brilliant man. I believe he's the kind of person that personally reads his emails and will help if he can!!! So try it!!! You have nothing to lose. Meanwhile, the main goal is to inform people. If you see someone getting lured into Bally's, try to stop them from going in. The more people that knows about this, the more Bally's will lose business. Once they can't save themselves, they will realize what they have done wrong to have flushed their entire corporation down the toilet.

~Peace.

• As
      11th of Jul, 2009

Ok things have changes and because of the Bankruptcy. Call and request to cancel whatever you do do not set up your credit card or check account on auto electronic pay. They are required to drop your membership to 19.00 a monh per person dont argue with the telephone employee request to speak to a manager and they willhonor it. Let them know youlost your job trust me this willwork. If all your paying is monthly dues negotiate until they drop the price to 9.00 dollars a month they are requiredto do it. Iknow all the inside info.

the man

• Ke
      13th of Oct, 2009

just don't use Bally Total fitness at all. It took me almost six months to cancel my membership. they overcharged me more than $400 before I can cancel my membership. I will never join this kind of club again.