AT&T Landline Service / fraudulent billing practices; horrible custoemr service

InfoQuest International, LLC
While there are few companies anywhere that can survive while indifferently shrugging its corporate shoulders at the needs or desires of its customers, AT&T continues to find ways to grow and prosper despite leaving tidal waves of disenchantment in its wake. They give the world an awful lot to not like.

Still, indifference is one thing, but it’s quite another to embrace a corporate tactic of foisting open disdain on customers. I’ve been on the receiving end of just such a tactic.

I’ve never had the misfortune or desperation to have to engage AT&T for wireless services, but I’m in an area where there are scant few options for landline service. For years AT&T was my local telephone company, providing service that was steady, if unremarkable. For a very long time, that was good enough for me.

All of that changed in March of 2009. That was when I was talked into expanding my relationship with AT&T. That was when I discovered that after 15 years of measuring customer satisfaction for a living, I still had no idea just how spectacularly arrogant and incompetent a company could be. That was when I became aware that AT&T may very well be the antichrist of customer service.

And worse for me, that was when I discovered that not only does AT&T not give a hill of beans what anyone thinks of them; not only do they seemingly have no sense of wrong and right; but the evidence seems to suggest that what they do is very profitable for them. They are trying to lighten my pockets by over $6, 000.00, and the basis of their claim to that money is a long, long tale of failed service, contractual breaches, open lies and, in my opinion, outright fraud.

Months ago it became evident that resolving what they have done will probably entail the services of lawyers, so I began to document my experiences with them. I have posted the tale at: http://www.iqsurvey.com/blog/?cat=6 . Fair warning; it’s a long story. But, it's also a story that has left many people shaking their head in disbelief.

Many, many people have had trouble with AT&T. I wonder how many have had this much trouble.

A  4th of Feb, 2011 by
My issue has to do with being billed for a long distance call that was NOT made from my home. I was not home when the call initiated, however, at 81 minutes in length, I would have walked in on someone using my phone when I returned home. I suspect someone connected to the pedestal with a butt set and made the 81 minute call at my expense. AT&T not only refuses to remove the call from my bill, but on three different occasions has proceeded to transfer me, disconnect me and generally brush me off with no intention of helping me get to the bottom of the problem. Each attempt at trying to resolve the issue from asking to speak to a supervisor or the Fraud Department has taken an hour and a half of my time only to be placed on endless HOLD and eventually disconnected when they get tired of transferring me from person to person. Your description of "AT&T may very well be the antichrist of customer service" and "AT&T does not give a hill of beans what anyone thinks of them; not only do they seemingly have no sense of wrong and right; but the evidence seems to suggest that what they do is very profitable for them" is so well said, I had to copy and paste it. They have themselves so well insulated that it is virtually impossible to penetrate the Sales Dept. which is disguised as Customer Service in order to speak to anyone who will actually LISTEN to you and attempt to find a mutually agreeable solution. Their protocol seems to be "keep transferring until the customer gives up."
A  6th of Apr, 2011 by
Worst service ever. Nightmare to deal with this company.
A  18th of Jun, 2012 by
at&t is doing this to everyone.i have to call them every month to have these charges taken off my bill, what can we do to stop this?
N  8th of Jan, 2018 by
I posted this on YELP today.
This review is for AT&T landline repair. My landline has been out for a month. AT&T finally showed up today. I showed the repair person the low line in the backyard and mention the dangling wires on the telephone pole in the backyard surrounded only by a plastic bag. He said the plastic bag was "pretty standard" . He said he was going to get his ladder and test the connection to the house. 90 seconds later he knocks and tells me the problem is in my house. Guess he did not realize I could see him through my window and he did not test the line! I have made another appointment and must wait another week for another repair person to show. I guess this guy didn't want to do his job because it was raining.This guy is "pretty standard" in my experience with AT&T. Last time I needed repair I had to file an FCC report to get them to do their job. I may have to do that again. Very displeased with AT&T. I have been a customer for over 30 years. They are always willing to take my money, yet unwilling to do much for it!
N  23rd of Jan, 2018 by
No land line and internet service since January 15, 2018. I contacted Customer Service, the company first attempted to trouble shoot the problem over the phone but could not solve the issue and then indicated that the problem was outside of the home and they would need to send a service technician to fix the problem. The first available date given was January 30, 2018 (14 days without land line or internet service). I have called multiple times to request a more expedited service date and was told that all of their technicians are busy and there is a back log of requested service. The Customer Service person said that their back log should be cleared up in two weeks and service calls would be answered more quickly. Due to this outage, I have now exceeded my available data from my cell phone provider and am being charged $15 per overage. I have a son in college who relies on the internet to complete his work assignments and communicate with his teachers. If it were not for the fact that we have cell phones, we would be cut off from all communications. I was truly disgusted when the Customer Service rep started in on their sale's pitch about bundling service. I told him that if I had bundled my service (landline, internet, cell phone and cable) I would have no way to communicate at all. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and for AT&T to have a 14 day response time to a service call is unacceptable.

AT&T Logo AT&T