AT&T DSL / terrible tech support

Ever since my family signed up for AT&T DSL service, it has been one problem after another. Modems that need constant resetting; service interruptions; and a total inability to help give my second computer wireless access to my main one. And their tech support is virtually no help. For one thing, it's literally impossible to get through to them without a good hour wait. (I'm on hold now with them, and have been since 8:30. I made sure to call at an off-peak hour. It's now 10:30, and tech support closes at midnight. What do you want to bet my call will get disconnected at midnight even though I've been on forever?) For another, they put you through a ridiculous third degree for "security" reasons and use it to give you a major run-around. The last time I called, they asked for the credit card number we use to _currently_ pay them. When I gave them the number, they swore it wasn't the right one and bounced me over to their account department--which of course was in the middle of "upgrades" so they couldn't bring up my file to get this straightened out. And even when you finally get through, you wind up with someone who can't help you, doesn't know what you are talking about, or takes your number swearing someone will call you back at a certain time--and that latter person calls hours later when you are at work or out of the house. ATT seems to think that customers should spend days and hours trying just to get help. (And the cream of the jest is that they have trained their tech people to be endlessly apologetic and endlessly sorry--but they _still_ can't give you any help.) In short, ATT DSL's service is lousy; their tech support is a disaster; and their attitude towards their customers is despicable. Don't sign with this service--it is truly not worth the grief, dishonesty, incompetence, and bad faith they put you through.

De

Comments

• Li
      23rd of Nov, 2008

I had intermittent problems with Bellsouth, but since AT&T took over, DSL is terribly slow AND webmail is dreadful. Doesn't matter if I use webmail at home or at work or wherever, on a PC or MAC, I have constant time outs, had an email I sent AT&T that was blind copied w/out my knowing it to 2 other people, very slow webmail, etc. If I'm at home and the DSL is actually working right, I can be on 4 other web sites that are all working correctly, and AT&T's own webmail will be almost impossible to log into.

I've emailed them numerous times. They told me that they no longer offer email support, to try IM. I tried IM and was told that they couldn't help me, to call AT&T. When I wrote back, nicely, that I thought I might need to just change service, the tech HUNG UP ON ME. It was no mistake. I got a clear message "Tech has disconnected you." Rude in addition to being incompetent.

• Ar
      24th of Feb, 2009

Webmail is really bad. Why change something that is easy and straight forward with a lot yahoo ads and hard to find tabs to get to "e mail" receive and send. Not good. Check spelling? You don't understand a misspelled word? Improve your software.
    Arlen @bellsouty.net

• Cl
      17th of Jun, 2009

I am not receiving emails and I give my name and password as they ask for over and over and they disregard it I have to get this resolved can't understand this.f it only happens once, but it is a daily process from at&t someone up there does not know what they are doing.hey tell me it is not connected and it is I unplug it all and plug it back and it works fine what is going on. It is not connecting as of today so I have no idea what they have done and why Bryan_Claire@bellsouth.net

• Mi
      20th of Dec, 2009

I have had the worst experience with AT&T. I have been put on hold for well over an hour. It took me around half an hour (and lots of google) to find their online technical support... which is here: https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

I got put with this guy named Antonio. This guy is the most unresponsive, illiterate person I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with on the internet. I have dealt with this chat before so i had already run all of the speed tests on their at&t website.

Anything I told him was basically ignored... It felt like I was just being asked questions without him reading what I was typing to him. I started off by saying hello... telling him i have had speed issues ever since i signed up (I should get 3.0mbps download, i get 1.3mbps) ... and I tell himmy upload/download speeds and even give him a reference number...

Then... he asks me what my problem is. I repeated everything above.. the problem... the speed test...

Then he told me to run a speed test (on the exact site I told him)
    So I tell him it again and then I run the speed test one more time just so i can satisfy him...

At this point I have already been in the chat 20 minutes. That's how unresponsive and slow the responses were. He asks me a security question... I have never filled out any security question for at&t... so i tell him that and I ask him if theres anything else i can do... such as the last four digits of my SSN.

What he tells me next is absolutely ridiculous. I know 100% at this point, he was just trying to cut the conversation off because this is just ridiculous.
    He said he needs all of the following:
    Scan of my drivers license with a picture ID, a scan of a few utility bills, a scan of my at&t bill, and about 5 other ridiculous things.
    so i disconnected and tried to talk to another person.

This next guy i talked to wasn't as bad. After about half an hour I think we finally got on the same level and he was able to assist me. Unfortunately... at the end he decided to do something to my phone line without letting me know... some sort of test I guess. Someone in my house was on the phone and they were disconnected. Also, it cut my internet connection... so it ended the chat and I lost contact with him.
    Here's a pastebin: http://pastebin.ca/1721585

I went in one more time to make sure there was nothing else to say after being disconnected so unexpectedly. I should be getting a phone call within the next hour

• Ti