AT&T / overcharge

Despite having both an Equipment Maintenance Plan ($6.00 per month) and an Inside Wire Protectin Plan ($7.50 per month) I discovered an $80.00 charge for a service call regarding a modem I have from AT&T.
Upon inquiring at AT&T I was told that the plan in fact does cover the charge and that the DSL service department does not have visibility to the fact that I have the coverage so whenever they send a technician on a service call it automatically appears on your bill and you have to contact them to get a credit.
How many people jhust pay the bill?

Comments

• La
    AT&T - Equipment Rebate Nightmare
    AT&T

In March 2007 I signed up for DSL with AT&T. At this time they were offering a $49.99 rebate for the modem. The rebate postcard that came with the modem said I just needed to send it in and expect my check in 6-8 weeks. So I sent it and promptly forgot about it. Sometime in August I realized I had not received my check and called the rebate customer service center. The individual on the phone was borderline useless, insisted that they had not received the rebate postcard and said that he could do nothing without it. Seeing as I had held up my end of the bargain by sending in the card I requested a supervisor callback. Two days later I receive a call from the supervisor letting me know that the postcard was received and posted to the account of the individual who previously had my phone number. Accidents happen and it seemed that the issue was resolved so I sat back to wait. And promptly forgot about the check again. Perhaps I should by more attention and perhaps a business should provide the services it says it will without continuous reminding by its customers. So now it's December 2007 and after checking the rebate website and finding my check is a month overdue I call the rebate center once again. Another useless individual and another supervisor callback and now they are telling me that even though their website says the check was supposed to be sent on November 8th the rebate was actually denied and they are having trouble with their website. How convenient. So now it has been "escalated" to the billing department so they see if I was really billed for the modem. Never mind that I can pull up my bill in 5 minutes online and show them, from their website, that I was indeed billed. Nope, that won't do and now I get to wait another 6-8 weeks for the billing department to process the claim. Assuming I actually receive my rebate it will have been almost an entire year. Part of that is my fault for not keeping a closer watch on my rebate status. But really, I should be able to trust people to do their god damn jobs properly and fairly without constant supervision from me, the customer.

• Su
      19th of Dec, 2007

I too signed up with AT & T for internet service and sent in the rebate with everything that they requested. This was around October 2007 when I had some difficulty with my service around the beginning of December I called to get help, no problems there. I asked about the rebate and they switched me to someone else who said that there was a problem with how it was entered and I would have to wait 2 more months for the rebate. I think if I had not had a problem and looked into the situation I probably would never received the rebate... Jury is still out cause I still have not received anything from AT & T...

• Sc
      19th of Dec, 2007

Generally if you make copies of the items you submit for rebates then you can ask for a fax# to send in a) copy of AT&T bill & b) copy of rebate form. It seems like they are not even sure if they got it! So you may need to send that information to them. I don't like rebates at all and I have had nightmares with some companies trying to get rebates. You could consider to contact the BBB to state you followed all the guidelines but never got rebate. Like I was saying if you have copies of the stuff you sent that is the best thing to do.

Pablo.

• Da
      28th of Dec, 2007

I am experiencing the same nightmare trying to get a $50 equipment rebate. I am going to contact everyone that is having the same problem to see if we can file a class action law suit against AT&T for fraudulent marketing practices. Interested?
    Darlene
    Louisiana

• Ms
      26th of Nov, 2008

I signed up for phone and internet with AT&T but I cancelled the internet the very next day, they would have to put in a new jack ($50.00) to use the internet. When I got my first month's bill for local phone service only it was $182.00 not only did they not disconect cable they said I had called and requested it again(2nd line I guess) . I got charged for two lines per month of internet plus the full package of phone. I turned them into PUCO-public utilities ETC.. they sent me to the comisssioner of Ohio and on to someone else. They ended up dropping most of the charges( lines packages, equip.ETC) and I cancelled my phone with them as well. You just got to climb the complaint ladder until someone gets sick of hearing you complain(along with explicits!!!).By the way stay as far away from AT&T as you can they ROB you!

• Pa
      25th of Mar, 2009

Overcharged, my bills were $600, 700, 800 and the last one $1000 because I was continuoulsy being overcharged and tried to fix it but was never able to. I am a Realtor and need my phone and use it all the time. Yes, I talk a lot but it is mostly business. My family used texting to keep form using my minutes. I have had 2 returned payments because my service would be disconnected at a crisis time in my business and I would make a payment knowing that I had overdraft protection and wound up being returned. Now they will no do anything to help me get my service restored and I now owe $2100 with the early cancellation fees. I have called and toldthem I would stay iwth them if they would just work with me on the balance. Told them I would pay $700 and they stillwont do it. I need to have my service retored despartely and am now having to use a new phone number which is really hurting my business.

1st of Jan, 2010

I have a similar issue with having the Equiptment protection and inside wire. Had a technician fix a phone jack and was charge $110.00!! Calling tomorrow needles to say. Oh yeah and they are late on there 3-4 week promise for a $100 rebate I am due and a $10 5 min call to AZ not i never made. Not happy with the website interface either. YOu have to log in a million times .