Asurion / poor service!

Nashville, TN 37222

I ordered a replacement cell phone from this company when mine broke, and by the time I received it my old phone had started working again. They charged me a standard $50 deductible fee. When I called up Asurion to ask if I could send back the replacement, which was still in the box, unopened, they said to use the return label in the box and they would be reimburse me. There was no return label. I called them back and they said they would send me a return label. Two weeks later, I received an empty envelope with no return label. I had to call again and they sent me another return label, which a received two weeks later. I sent in the phone and according to the DHL tracking number, it was received and signed for on 5/31. I have still not been reimbursed, and so I called up today, 6/10, and was told that reimbursement is not an automatic process, and that I have to call to initiate it. I was never informed of this when I had called them any of the other times. I was then told that it would take 1-2 weeks to be reimbursed. The package that I returned was never opened, so there should be no reason for it to take this long. I am a college student, so $50 is a lot of money to be out-of-pocket for two months. However, what concerns me most about this situation is the principle. Had I not checked my bank statement, had I not called Asurion, I would have never been reimbursed my money, despite the fact that I had spoken to them about returning the replacement phone to be reimbursed, and that they had in fact received the phone in pristine condition. When I Googled "Asurion Wireless" to find their customer service number, the first two hits are from complaints.com. I think this says a lot about this company, especially since I pay $5 each month for insurance, a $50 deductible, and have to wait to be sent a replacement phone when mine breaks instead of being able to simply get one from the Verizon store. Though the customer service representative was very polite, I am very disappointed with the service and with the ethics of the company.

Comments

• Co
      24th of Aug, 2008

I have been in a battle with Asurion for weeks now. I have spent HOURS on the phone with them and I still do not have a resolution to my problem. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE. The company is unprofessional. (called my house after midnight to clarify information) The company lies. (pay the copay and we will send you a phone...I paid copay...but got no phone) My experience has been so dissatisfing and unbelievalbiy painful that it would take too long to share all the ways in which Asurion has been incompetent.

The CEO of Asurion is Kevin Taweel. I attempted to send him emails about my experience but they were intercepted by someone lower in the organization.

Asurion is fraudulent and disinterested in honoring the contract. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS COMPANY.

• Em
      25th of Aug, 2008

Maybe i am just lucky or i know how to treat people the way i wanted to be treated, Asurion has ALWAYS been nice to me, and to all you ppl out there who insist they always give out refurbs its not true, my first two phones (htc touch)one was lost one time the second time it was stolen, asurion sent me brand spanking new phones w/all the goodies, the last and final replacement was for my samsung instinct, which i lost they sent me a refurb this time and it was not working correctly, i called them, they said they were going to send me another one, i should receive it in 2 days, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!they didn't make me jump thru hoops like some of you people have stated, hey maybe it may be where i live or i just know how to talk to people, but they have always been nice to me!good luck to all you people out there, and remember when you call asurion next time, try speaking to them the way you want to be treated and then maybe you will get what you want!!!

• Em
      16th of Sep, 2008

ALL U PPL SUCK YOU GOTTA BE THE SQUEAKY WHEEL ND YOU WILL GET WHAT U WANT TRUS T ME AFTER 2 GARBAGE REPLACEMENTS, THEY FINALLY SENDED ME A BRAND NEW ONE W/ALL THE GOODIES!!!

17th of Sep, 2008

THIS COMPANY SUCKS ###!...My story starts off with my screen breaking...Sprint Customer Service says that they will personally replace my phone for free eventhough I have insurance...so I have them send it to my dorm...about a week later...there is still no phone...so I call Sprint back and they tell me that the paper work was filled out but not processed because the Insurance company had to replace it and for me to call ASURION...well I call them and the computer program tells me its faster to fill it out online...so i go online fill out the forms and they say they will send me a 'refurbished' phone...Im like okay cool i just need my phone back...so immdiately they take the 50 dollars out of my account...so i wait a day or 2 and I have still not recieved my phone...so I call back and these ###s say that I have been approved but the phone has not been sent...so I talk to Customer Service and they say it may take anywhere from 10-15 BUSINESS days for me to recieve my phone due to Hurrican Ike...###...im going about an entire month at college without a damn cell phone...this ### is ridiculous! I HATE ASURION aint nothin SURE about this damn rip off!

• He
      17th of Sep, 2008

My daughter dropped her phone in a swimming pool over the weekend. I called Asurion today and sent my daughter to the Alltel Corporate store to pick up a new phone. Easy peasy! She paid the $50 deductible and is good to go. Honestly, we've been with Alltel a long time (11 years) and this is the first time we've used insurance. In the past, if we were still under contract, our only option was to add another line and purchase a phone on that line. Of course, this entailed us continuing to pay for the "old line" but was the only way we could take advantage of the 2-year contract price. We had no problems with Asurion and the new, refurbished phone came with a 1-year warranty. I wouldn't insure all the phones we have (4 in the house) but for my teenager who we make pay the $5.00 monthly fee it's worth it.

• Ke
      21st of Sep, 2008

So heres my story. Phone gets rained on, I call Asurion like I know to do whenever my phone stops working, and I talk to someone who was very helpful, even agreed to replace my phone(centro) with an htc touch, because it is a comparable device. Order was placed last friday and was supposed to be shipped out that day, and be here by monday.

Wednesday rolls around, no phone. So I call asurion to find out whats wrong and they tell me because of a hurricane that hit on tuesday, my phone has been delayed. I say why did the hurricane that hit on tuesday affect my phone that was supposed to have been shipped friday and noone has an answer for me. They also have the audacity to tell me I wont have my phone until october 6th! Note, I placed the order september 12th. Those with even the most basic math skills can tell thats 6 days from being a month without a phone.

I basically get no help over the phone, so I've been emailing sprint. Three different sprint employees told me I could get my replacement from a repair shop and that they should do the phone switch for me.

I waste the gas to drive to the nearest sprint store, emails from sprint in hand, to get looked at like I'm an idiot and get told "we don't handle insurance replacements here"

After dealing with sprint and asurion to see if I could get my phone at a different dealer, they tell me there's nothing they can do and my only option is to wait. They also tell me I won't be receiving the HTC touch I was promised and that they don't do comparable device replacement no matter how unsatisfied with the device you are.

When I agreed to pay the $50 deductible for my replacement, it was for an htc touch NOT a palm centro. This means that not only are they charging me for a device I DIDN'T WANT they're making me wait almost a month, and still expect me to pay for my service during this month.

The BBB is being contacted because of this, and I will be cancelling my service and changing providers and selling the phone I receive from asurion.

• Na
      3rd of Mar, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you of the poor customer service I have encountered with your company Asurion. I took my burgundy Palm Treo 755 to be serviced on Sunday, February 22, 2009 and was told that the phone could not be fixed so I would have to contact the insurance company. Without checking the phone to see if the problem was correct since I was told it couldn’t be fixed I contacted Asurion who informed me that they would send me a phone within 1-2 business days. I received the Palm Treo 755 (blue which wasn’t the color of my phone) on February 24, 2009. I charged the phone for 12 hours as recommended. During this time I was using my old phone, which charged with no problem (which I was informed could not be fixed). Even though it began working properly I switched to the refurbished phone that was sent to me by the Asurion Insurance Company. The first day I noticed that the phone would shut off periodically throughout the day. When I noticed this I changed the battery from my old phone into the new phone sent by Asurion and it did the same thing.

On February 28, 2009 I contacted Asurion and notified them about the problem and informed them that I didn’t want your company to send out another replacement phone anymore because it would be the same situation and I didn’t have the time to keep going into the Sprint store to have my numbers and to have to store all my personal information into. So I asked the representative that they not send me another refurbished phone since my old one was working. I was told that your company would not refund the $50.00 fee that you charge. Management was unable to assist me with solving this problem either. I am truly disgusted in Asurion’s customer service and policies. I am extremely disappointed that I have paid approximately $170.00 in insurance fees for the past two years I have had the phone, not to mention the $50.00 that I am being charged for a phone I don’t have. I have never been so disgusted with any companies’ policies and procedures in my life!

Due to the poor service at Asurion I have cancelled my insurance plan on my Sprint Account. Once my contract is up on May 29, 2009 I will also be canceling my services with Sprint because of two companies rudeness, poor customer service, and lack of understanding. I will make sure that the next carrier I choose will not use this company as their insurance carrier for their customers. I will also make sure to inform all my friends, family members, co-workers etc. to reconsider insurance plans with Asurion and Sprint Services. Hopefully this will allow you to reconsider the customer service you provide your customers with. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this matter.

Disgusted Customer,

Nana N.

• Ti
      21st of Mar, 2009

Nashville, TN 37222

BAD NEWS. Been paying their fee for 5 phones now for almost 3 years. My father lost his phone out on the farm. Tried to file a claim on line. Gave me a claim number but would NOT SHIP to his address. Said it was a PO BOX. It is NOT. It is an Rural Route address. The address IS RR2 BOX (number). If I was to burn the house down and call 911 I would tell them that SAME RR address. So, it being Sat I have plenty of time, I called the 888 number. Tried to file the claim so I could explain to the lady what was going on. She said it had to go through another "account vitrifaction" or some ###. Told me to call back Wed. Wed!?!? WTF is that? It is advertised as a 24hr turn around. I should have phone in hand Monday or Tue. Not be starting a claim wed.

What a screw.

• Te
      17th of May, 2009

Ok, so apparantly I abused the phone because I charged it. This is the 3rd phone!!!

• Pu
      26th of May, 2009

Ditto...it is better to not pay the premium and get a new phone. They should be put out of business or at least forced to become customer friendly and accountable for there products!

• Ka
      26th of Jun, 2009

I'm just wondering if anyone who posts a complaint about Asurion speaks English as a first (or second...or heck, even third) language. Seriously...half of these posts, I can't even understand. Are you guys in 3rd grade? Seriously. It's rather pathetic.

Anyway, how is cell phone insurace any different than, say, car insurance? When you total your car, you get the value of THAT car at THAT time.

People here expect to wreck a 1985 Ford and get a 2009 Mercedes in replacement.

Asurion actually has one of the highest customer satisfaction rates. What I find typical are the people who are pissed off "lost" their phone in hopes of getting an upgrade. Or they called the insurance line at 9:45 pm on Friday night and are pissed that they didnt' get their phone by Monday morning. It's silly, really.

Sorry folks. Doesn't work that way.

• Wo
      4th of Jul, 2009

You people are ###s. I read half of these posts and most of you obviously don't know how to write at a 4th grade level. Also, most of the stuff you're complaining about is ridiculous. Especially the initial complaint. You're complaining that you got a new phone for $50 but you were too stupid to know the original wasn't even broken. Upon discovering this, you [censor]ed at the Asurion people until they sent you a box to send you a box... which you didn't deserve in the first place. Then you complained AGAIN that you had to pay the shipping because of your ridiculous mistake?

Grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you, ###. In the end, Asurion obviously lost money by dealing with you and you complain that they weren't speedy and pleasant in the process.

I've used Asurion 3 or 4 times after losing or breaking my phone and every time I got a new phone in a retail box with all accessories the next day.

• Az
      6th of Aug, 2009

Absolutely BEYOND HORRIBLE!!! Put whatever amount of money you pay for equipment protection into a savings account and, if something happens to your phone or whatever, put the money you saved toward a new phone.

It has been THREE WEEKS since I filed a claim. I have heard every imaginable b.s.excuse, have waited days for them to communicate the way they said they would. Forget the on-line order tracking system. "Your request is being processed. Please check back in 24 hours". ISN'T TRACKING!!!

I finally got to a live person who could tell me that my claim was approved weeks ago, I was quoted shipping times that AREN'T EVEN CLOSE to what was promised only to be fed more b.s. excuses about why. If the claim was approved weeks ago, WHERE IS MY #%*#$*&# PHONE?

If you read these comments and still do business with this company remember, you asked for it!

• Ca
      1st of Sep, 2009

### you KarenTheEnglishMajor, I wouldn't piss on your teeth if your face were on fire.

19th of Dec, 2009

Nashville, TN 37222

The reason why you have those problems with Asurion is because some of their suppliers are
    companies with no reputation and lack of ethics as PCS Wireless. PCS Wireless, LLC based in New Jersey is
    one of their cellphone's supplier. PCS Wireless is a cellphone distrubutor company of reconditioned, refurbished
    or used phones. PCS Wireless in-house refurbish cellphones but they do not have the endorsement of brand companies
    such as Motorola to do it and they also do not have neccessary equipment to test the phones once refurbished.

You should see the conditions of the cellphones and accessories they sell.
    They received them in boxes all mixed and dirties and some of them are lemons.

They separate and clean the cellphones with handsanitizer and acetone to have the logos removed. Other group refurbish them, have the housing and/or keypad changed, weld interior parts and try to
    make them look like new but the reality is that the exterior is new but the interior is a crap, a garbage.
    When they refurbish the cellphones they do not test them for performance because they have no equipment to do it.

It is not the point of receive an upgrade phone but a good one. I work for PCS Wireless once I started there and saw
    how it was I cancel right away my insurance with Asurion.

You pay tons of money for the Insurance to Asurion and they use cheap companies. Asurion is not a legitimate company.

12th of Jan, 2010

I am just upset, not going to go on a rampage but want to share my story. I had an LG dare with verizon. The phone worked perfectly. One day it slipped out of my pocket. I called Asurion and they told me LG no longer makes the dare so they would send me this new phone called the voyager. I was not too happy about that since I liked the dare, but was willing to accept this because it was the only option. So I asked the rep if it had micro USB since I already bought a gaggle of chargers and accessories for my two vehicles. He assured me it did! Well this voyager shows up with some flat plug I have never seen, the phone is basically falling apart on is hinges, and pretty much is older technology than my dare by a long shot. I AM UPSET. Not much I can do. Live and learn.

ASURION SCAM WARNING !!!

17th of Jan, 2010

Asurion is awful. I am on my second week of waiting for my "next day delivery", have spent over three hours over the last week "on hold" between customer service representatives who simply tell me that it is my problem and that I should be dealing with UPS since they wash their hands clean once the shipment leaves their warehouse. They refuse to give me my $50 deductible back, pay my Verizon phone bill for the time I have wasted w/o a phone, or take any responsibility for the fact that my agreement is with ASURION and not UPS. I am canceling my policy and recommend that others find a different provider.

• Tr
      16th of Feb, 2010

### Asurian phone insurence!! I spent an hr in kinko's yesterday filling out paper work and faxing them info and they denied my phone claim. You think with a 130 dollar deductible they would be eager to send you a piece of ### phone that was made out of USED parts of other broken phones!!! Im buying a new G1 off of craigs for less than that anyways though

• Me
      16th of May, 2010

AWFUL!!! I pay $8 a month for one year then my screen cracks, so I call in the insurance and it is $100 deductable and they send me a refurbished phone. TOTAL BS> I told them I would wait until they got a new phone and they say NO. very rude. AWFUL I wish Sprint didnt use them

6th of Jul, 2010

Asurion wants to charge me $130.00 deductible for a phone that you can buy new on Ebay with free shipping for $124.00. What you think I am stupid! This is not insurance it is a scam!