Asset Acceptance / Invalid debt
In 2017 I was a college student & had a telephone landline that was for local calls only. I had a cell phone for all other calls. A friend of my former roommate visited often when I was not there. This friend made several long distance calls on my landline to the tune of $285. When I got the bill I notified the local phone company to complain as I did not recognize any of the calls & the phone that had been used was in my bedroom and not available to anyone else but me.(or so I thought) The telephone company (AT&T) advised me that they would reverse the charges if I would agree to press charges against the person. I told them I would consider that action, but ordered the service disconnected. I confronted the person who made the calls & attempted to collect from her to no avail; so I contacted the phone co. 3 days later and agreed to press charges to get the calls removed. The rep deducted the long distance amounts & advised me of the amount I owed for the local service and I paid the bill. Three years later, I started getting letters from Asset Acceptance advising that I owed $285 from the original creditor AT&T. I have been disputing these charges on my credit report, but they keep showing up. Any suggestions what I should do? Should I attempt to contact the original creditor to find out why they sold this uncollectible when they had already agreed to remove & reverse the unauthorized charges from my bill ? Apparently AT&T did not do what they said they were going to do and ended up selling this acct to Asset as a 3rd party collection. Note: I never received any correspondence from AT&T advising that an addl amount was owed.
Help, anyone! I am trying to buy a house & I need to clear this up, but I don't feel I should have to pay this bill since I was assured I was not liable.
More Asset Acceptance Complaints & Reviews
- Asset Acceptance - AALLC is a debit scam! 
- Asset Acceptance LLC - Suing for charged off debt 
- Asset Acceptance - I don't know how anyone in America couldn't trust their validity 
- Asset Acceptance LLC - Bunch of thieves! 
- Asset Acceptance - Fraud and scam 
- Asset Acceptance Capital Corporation [AACC] - not my account 
- Asset Acceptance LLC - false collections 
- Asset Acceptance LLC - New Scam/Unclaimed Property
- Asset Acceptance - unwarranted charges on credit card i dont even have 
- Asset Acceptance - Fraudulent debt settlement letter