Asset Acceptance / Invalid debt

1 TX, United States Review updated:

In 2017 I was a college student & had a telephone landline that was for local calls only. I had a cell phone for all other calls. A friend of my former roommate visited often when I was not there. This friend made several long distance calls on my landline to the tune of $285. When I got the bill I notified the local phone company to complain as I did not recognize any of the calls & the phone that had been used was in my bedroom and not available to anyone else but me.(or so I thought) The telephone company (AT&T) advised me that they would reverse the charges if I would agree to press charges against the person. I told them I would consider that action, but ordered the service disconnected. I confronted the person who made the calls & attempted to collect from her to no avail; so I contacted the phone co. 3 days later and agreed to press charges to get the calls removed. The rep deducted the long distance amounts & advised me of the amount I owed for the local service and I paid the bill. Three years later, I started getting letters from Asset Acceptance advising that I owed $285 from the original creditor AT&T. I have been disputing these charges on my credit report, but they keep showing up. Any suggestions what I should do? Should I attempt to contact the original creditor to find out why they sold this uncollectible when they had already agreed to remove & reverse the unauthorized charges from my bill ? Apparently AT&T did not do what they said they were going to do and ended up selling this acct to Asset as a 3rd party collection. Note: I never received any correspondence from AT&T advising that an addl amount was owed.
Help, anyone! I am trying to buy a house & I need to clear this up, but I don't feel I should have to pay this bill since I was assured I was not liable.

Ch

Comments

• Va
      29th of Apr, 2008
    Asset Acceptance - Incompetent and unethical
    Asset Acceptance

I happened upon Asset Acceptance because something showed up on my credit report last month. They had no reference phone number so I had to track them down through the initial debtor, Bally's Fitness because that's all that was referenced on the report. This debt was incurred over 6 years ago. Asset Acceptance apparently bought the debt in 2017 and has supposedly attempted to contact me about the matter many times since then. Yet the address they have on file is one from BEFORE I ever incurred the debt. How is that possible? In the time since they purchased the account, I have moved only within the county and have been up to date on my DMV the entire time. I have successfully applied for credit at my current address and yet they still couldn't find me. So of course, as soon as I discover the negative credit reporting, I contact them and resolve the issue immediately. Now I am going to go and see if I can get them to remove the negative reporting since it was due to their own incompetence that they were never able to collect. Think I have even half a chance?

• Je
      4th of May, 2008

What these ###s do is buy bad debt. Then once they have the information, they illegally re-season the account. I'm not sure how it's done but I know it is illegal. then they file a lawsuit gainst you to recover the money. Most people cannot afford an attorney and they know this. So by not showing up in court, they are awarded the judgement even though the original filing was done illegally. I am fighting one against them now. Your best bet is to contact your state attorney generals office and file a complaint. You can also sue them. In my state you can sue for the original amount of the debt, plus court costs, and up to $1000 for damages.

• Gi
      2nd of Jun, 2008

So you incurred a debt, it took them a while to find you and that in and of itself you feel that you should not be liable for your debt? I agree that if they are unethical in their collection methods you should pursue legal remedy; however, a request to pay your debt from a debt collector, whether bought or not, is not nearly enough to substainate any claim. As far as other comments regarding contacting your states AG, that does not discharge the debt. They will conduct a formal investigation as to your claims, if they are claims that unethical or illegal activity was used to attempt to collect. Debt Collectors are bound by the FDCPA. I would suggest that you look into that statute before you alledge anything.

• Ga
      6th of Aug, 2008

@ Gina. she didn't incur a debt. she canceled a gym membership. Now what bally's doesn't tell you is that you are not really paying a monthly fee. they call it membership fianance. so you have to pay about $1500 but it is divided into montly payments that come to about $50 a month. now when you call to cancel before you've paid up to the $1500 they don't argue. because what's better than you owing them money and not having a membership? you still have to pay $1500- $50(months you've paid already). whatever that balance is. you owe them. So basically, it's stupid getting a bally's memebership. but it doesn't make you a deadbeat.

• Go
      20th of Jan, 2010

In 1996 I was in college and had a credit card debt that I was late on. Eventually the creditor called and negotiated that if I paid 75% that they would call it paid in full so I did.
    Now, 14 yrs later, Asset Acceptance is calling me to try to collect the difference plus fees. I have never seen any derogatory comments on my credit report and I do not think that this claim is legitimate.
    I believe that these are scare tactics used by Asset Acceptance to make money. They know that everyone is scared of a bad credit score and they know that they can intimidate people. The only legitimate document that I have available to me to validate these requests are my credit reports (all three of them). If the debt is not recorded there then I'm not going to recognize it.
    So what recourse does the average person have to contest this harrassement by Asset Acceptance and expose them for the fraud that they are?

• Ri
      9th of Feb, 2010

I too am having problems. A debt that is 9 years old is still listed on my Equifax and when I disputed it, these maggots told Equifax it was still an open account. When I checked my bureau they are showing payments being made every month but $1200 behind. So, guess the next route is the attorney generals office.