Asset Acceptance / Terrible experience

Last week I opened a piece of mail from Asset Acceptance LLC, regarding a debt that they say I owed from 1999. I was shocked to say the least, especially after they said that it was for over $1700. I called Asset Acceptance immediately because the form letter said if you didn't then it was automatically accepting the debt and they would pursue it.

So I called and asked who this company was and what the debt was for. The young lady that answered then asked me my name and, if my SSN was (*****). I answered in the affirmative. She asked me if I lived in Grand Rapids in 1999 and I answered in the affirmative. But I had never even heard of this company that they said I owe. The lady on the other end said she'd send me out a form that I could file a fraudulent claim with then.

Ruth mentioned that she had checked her credit reports and that the claim had never shown up on them. I did the same thing myself and have never seen it on any of my credit reports ever, and I monitor mine regularly. When I read the report from Ruth in Alachua Florida, I was in shock, to say the least! Here's another poor soul that this company, Asset Acceptance, is trying to dupe out of money.

After looking into it myself online and doing some investigation, I have found that they were a long distance carrier, which have now merged with AT&T. But at that time, they were not affiliated. I also have discovered that in the state of Michigan, the time limit for collecting such debates is 6 years, which is now over that limit.

I am now in the process of sending everything I can find on them over to my lawyer to deal with it as well as to let as many people out there know what Asset Acceptance is doing with 'Old Debt', fictions or real. I suggest that everyone else do the same.

In the economic atmosphere that we live in today, when we find companies that claim money is owed...they better provide the proof.

Well, Ruth, and any others out there that have had this situation with Asset Acceptance or any others like them, my suggestion to you to to gather all the information you can on them and turn them over to your lawyers or at least the better business bureaus in your state and let them know what they are doing.

Comments

• Ag
      6th of Oct, 2008
    Asset Acceptance - wrong number they are calling
    asset acceptance
    Ohio
    Phone: 8005179374

I ha ve been divorced from my ex-husband for 13 years. They keep calling my home phone number looking for him. We had never had this same home phone together when we were married. I even gave them his phone number - they will not stop calling me.

3rd of Nov, 2008
    Asset Acceptance - rude calls
    asset accepatnce
    Killeen
    Texas
    Phone: 254-285-7855

rude calls daily and when asked to speak to supervisor I am never given one and they conctnatly talk and yell over me when trying to speak to get some nfo.

• Va
      26th of Nov, 2008
    Asset Acceptance - Overcharged
    Asset Acceptance
    assetacceptance.com

I've had a 'past due amount' of $157 and paid $30 of it. It was a phone bill from 6 years ago. They've recently contacted me ON A DAILY BASIS about this 'problem' and continue to leave messages on my cell. It's not on my credit report, and SBC has told me that it has been closed.

• As
      27th of Jan, 2010

I would like to get with other victims of Asset Acceptance Asset and sue them!

Here is my story: it is 2010 and Asset Acceptance LLC has just stolen $5000 from my bank account. They claim it is from an old $900. visa from 1995. They severed someone with my last name in an other state. That person discarded the summons and Asset Acceptance automatically got a default judgment against me. They then used a Domestic Interstate Transference to transfer the judgment to the state of my residence and take the money plus 15years worth of interest from my account. They are cowards and crooks and they purposely sneak cases through courts without giving you the chance to fight it. Asset Acceptance knows that the only way to win is by default. You often need a lawyer to fight them which is so costly that most people just "give in to them".

I have learned that they constantly troll these blogs because they DO NOT want us to know about each other and they especially do not want us talking to one another. If you see any comments that support their tactics I can guarantee you it is just one of there "employee ### plants"

Organizing together is the key (just "Google" their name and you can see that they MUST be stopped)

I have no legal expertise I am just a another victim who is determined to stop them...I have created an email address just for this fight so feel free to write me at standup2scum@aol.com

Victims and Lawyers interested in representing a Class Action case against Asset Acceptance are always welcome to email me.
    Sincerely Victim X.

11th of Mar, 2014

ASSETACCEPTANCE CONTINUES TO CALL NON STOP REGARDING 20+YEAR DEBT...AS A TEXAS RESIDENT I HAVE NO FUNDS TO PAY THEIR NON ENFORCEABLE CALLS NOR WILL I HAVE ANY FUNDS AS THEIR CALLS ARE NON ENFORCEABLE...TIME HAS EXPIRED...ASSETACCEPTANCE CONTINUES TO BOTHER WITH NON STOP CALLING...