Ashley Furniture / not honoring warranty

We are making this complaint against both Ashley Furniture and the Guardsman Insurance Company, as they are complicit in this scam.

Timeline

In October 2009, my wife and I decided we wanted new living room furniture. While we don't use the living room much, as we have a large family room, we felt our old (but very expensive when new) fabric-covered couch, while still nice, was outdated. We saw an ad for Ashley Furniture in nearby Yorba Linda, CA and decided to visit the store to price a matching couch and loveseat.

It was a large store with quite a lot of couches and loveseats in inventory, but almost all of them were leather-covered. When approached by a salesperson, we explained that we had 2 cats and a dog and we were concerned about buying leather furniture from a brand that we have never purchased before (we usually bought furniture at Macy's) because of (1) possible susceptibility to damage and (2) we did not know much about Ashley's products . She, pointed out, the Guardsman point-of-sale material that seemed to be on every table. She explained that if we bought the Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan, our purchases would have “bumper-to-bumper” protection for 5 years; it even covered damage (cuts or urine) from animals. She said if they couldn’t fix any damages, then the furniture would be completely replaced. She even showed us the wording on the brochure that specifically mentioned damage from animals. She also added, “Don't worry, you'll have both Ashley and Guardian behind this product.”

Convinced, we purchase a couch and a loveseat for $1173.25 (including tax) and spent another $129.99 on the “Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan”.

A little over a year later, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, somehow sprayed on the couch between the center and the right (when facing the couch)“cushion” . Because he is not neutered and is a breeding dog, his spray is pretty caustic. We discovered this accident about two days after it happened. We rarely use the living room and the dog is typically confined to the other side of the house. When blotting up the spray, some of the color came out of the right “cushion” and within two days, the seam along the right side of the center “cushion” started to crack.

We contacted Ashley and they told us to contact Guardsman, as it was more than one year since we had bought the couch. We contacted Guardsman promptly, within the specified period from when the damage was discovered and they sent out someone who, ostensibly, would repair the couch. The man who came said he couldn’t repair the couch, as the tear was in a seam and since the couch's “cushions” weren't really cushions, but were attached to the couch, it would be difficult to repair. Ironically, this man remembered us as our house is at the top of a hill and he had delivered a very heavy marble dining table to us 20 years earlier! He volunteered to us that Guardsman would do everything it could to avoid paying for repair or replacement.

In subsequent days, the tear in the seam expanded, not only in length, but the cushion itself started splitting in a line ninety degrees from the axis of the seam.

Later, we got a form letter from the Guardsman company denying our claim, giving no reason.

Product Defect
Pressing Ashley, they refused to help, stating that was what we had bought the insurance for and that our efforts should be with Guardsman. Even though we lived less than 5 miles from the Yorba Linda store, they refused to come out and look at the damage. Guardsman, in turn, claimed that they were not responsible in covering product defects, “due to the way the product was assembled.”

This was a total “Catch-22”. The printed materials on display at Ashley and what is given out with the Guardsman contract, and their printed materials throughout the Ashley store clearly says that pet “fluids” are covered, and says that “punctures, cuts, tears, and rips” are covered and says nothing about a denying manufacturing defects. The Guardsman's website even mentions these coverages! (www.guardsman.com/en/furniture/services)

The Ashley-Guardsman Scam
Here is the scam as we see it. Ashley makes inferior products, at least with respect to their leather furniture. Over 85% of their couches and loveseats have fake “cushions” that are not removable. They look like cushions, but to save manufacturing costs, they are part of the body of the couch, with 3 separations in a couch and 1 in a loveseat, that makes it appear to be “cushions”. If they had real cushions, instead of these “Hollywood Fronts” a damaged cushion could be removed, repaired, or replaced. On Ashley's products they can't. I have a leather couch in my home office that is over 15 years old. Its leather is twice as thick as the leather on an Ashley couch.

Once a product is more than a year old, Ashley states that its manufacturer's warranty is void and, in turn, Guardsman says that, even though they are the extended warranty, manufacturer's defects are not covered. So Ashley gets to sell shoddy products. Guardsman gets to sell a worthless policy and the customer is left holding the bag, even though the extended “bumper-to-bumper” warranty, specifically includes damage from pets and pet fluids and mentions nothing about manufacturer's defects. Plus, the salespeople at Ashley emphasize that buying the extended coverage takes the worry out of having leather furniture.

If Guardsman were not the scam that it is, they would have paid for the repair or replacement and then sought to recover their expenses from Ashley Furniture. They have an obvious “agency” relationship. Guardsman promotional materials are to be found on just about any flat furniture surface at an Ashley Store. The Ashley salespeople and the Ashley corporation get a commission from Guardsman, and the customer gets stuck with a couch that is unraveling before my eyes.

Our Demand

As Ashley Furniture's couches are inferior, as they cannot be easily repaired because of their fake cushions and uneven stitching, we expect them to remove the couch and loveseat from our house after refunding to us the full purchase price of the coach and matching loveseat including taxes and delivery charges and refund the money spent on this useless Guardsman Policy scam. The total is $1, 303.24.

They need to act quickly, or I will see to establish a class-action lawsuit against Ashley and Guardsman, both individually and jointly.

Copies of this complaint will be sent to the California State Attorney General's office, the Office of the California Insurance Commissioner and the Federal Trade Commission for investigation into possible R.I.C.O. malfeasance.

Comments

• Al
      14th of Aug, 2012

Can I join? I had a similar situation happen to me.

• Sd
      24th of Aug, 2012

me too. how do i get in on this?

• Tm
      10th of Sep, 2012

I'm currently having the same problem with Ashley Furniture and Guardsman Insurance. I purchased a $2100 leather sectional from Ashley Furniture in Killeen TX and I explained I have three large dogs and was afraid of getting leather and the guy turned me on to this amazing insurance. Well the inevitable happened and the couch was torn from the dogs and I filled a claim to get it denied before even hanging up the phone and now I sit here with a $2100 pice of poop.

• Jl
      30th of Sep, 2013

the same issue. These two together are a scam

• Ju
      6th of Aug, 2014

Ashley Furniture Warranty Scam!!! Please contact me @ juicyannabelle1@yahoo.com (I'm in the same situation) I did research & found out in Arizona there was a Lawsuit against them & they had to pay$400.000.00 . Action needs to be taken in Texas!

16th of Jul, 2016

I've had the same problem with them. I bought the added "super scoth guard" protection, and the extended warranty, totalling over $1500.00 for a 3pc micro fiber set. Less than a week after having it I started having pieces fall off. I called the store where purchased who advised me to contact the warranty company. Contacted them, who then tried passing the buck back to the store. After a year back n forth I've got nowhere. Since then, my recliner stopped opening n closing, the springs pon the loveseat punctured the cushions n the couch wood cracked.

• Mi
      2nd of Dec, 2016

We have spent over $7, 000 on furniture with Ashleys and over $500 in Guardsman warranties and they always loose my paperwork, cant locate my service requests, I ask numerous times if I can email/fax it since someone is always loosing my paperwork I send to them, manager of the store never contacts me back, I have a sectional that the leather is peeling off, a new bedset that the wood was not painted on it correctly, and nothing has ever been done. Why is there not a Class Action Lawsuit against them yet? I bet if more people come together on this matter we can win our money back. I have complained so many times and no one every gets back to me, my childrens bed was just crumbling apart, their dresser as well, I am so disgusted with this all, we should all get our money back. This company deserves to be shut down.

Orlando, Florida

• To
      20th of Dec, 2016

2 years ago I purchased a leather sofa with an ottoman on one end. I was sold the identical insurance plan the grievant is claiming. 2 months ago I began to notice that the leather on a cushion seam was cracking along the entire length of the seam. The feel of the leather along the crack was very plastic-like. In addition, the brown color of the couch was wearing off noticeably. The insurance policy allegedly was to cover any cosmetic damage, including scratches and punctures resulting from pets, is covered. Last month I called the local Ashley in Brandon, FL, and notified the customer service rep of my situation. She immediately went into defense mode and said I did not report the problem immediately and that I had no claim. She gave me the toll free number to the insurance company and schocker, nobody answered any of my 4 attempts. The phone just rang to voice mail. This is clearly a scam as noted above. Not only will I not be shopping at Ashley in the future, but I'm going to go out of my way to make sure that none of my family or friends to either. Shameful practice and I hope they go out of business soon. Karma is a b####.

2nd of Feb, 2017

I would like to join as well I have a similar situation and I definitely would like to join your class action lawsuit.

• De
      26th of Apr, 2017

I bought several pieces of furniture from them. I have a recliner with that "durablend leather" that is ripping, tearing and peeling all over. It is disintegrating before my eyes. Guardsman had a "senior tech" come out and take pictures. He told me no problem Guardsman will cover this and I will get 2 pieces (for the back and seat) sent to me and someone will come out to replace them. 3 weeks later I call Guardsman because I hadn't heard anything. The woman who answered after 1/2 hour of holding told me it was never sent to the right department. It would take another 5 to 15 business days. this after I had placed the request in Feb. (over 2 months ago) I received an email the next day telling me they were not going to cover any over it! There are rips, tears and cuts all over it and it's getting worse. I called the tech he said he would take care of it 2 weeks ago. Not another word from him so I called Guardsman today and they told me the tech was wrong and they were not going to cover any of it because it was normal wear and tear. It is not normal wear and tear! It is literally Disintegrating. This leather is a farce. And so is Ashley furniture's warranty with Guardsman.

14th of Sep, 2017

I would like to join, I have a similar problem

21st of Nov, 2017

I advice you to email president of ashley furniture to get them to understand that this will be a class action law suit

21st of Nov, 2017

twanek@ashleyfurniture.com, djansson@ashleyfurniture.com

24th of May, 2018

I want to join in this lawsuit against guardsman and Ashley furniture!!

• Ju
      12th of Jun, 2018

Same thing here with the durablend and fake leather product. I want to join and I will join the class action. They better honor the warranty or the product that they sell. If they don't do both, it is definitely a scam!

12th of Jun, 2018

If you paid with credit card less then a year ago contact credit card dispute and file dispute and attach evidence and you
    Will win it.

• Am
      9th of Aug, 2018

Same problem here. purchased a bed frame with fabric cover on top. small rip starting to form. contacted the company who they set me up with. Was told this is a manufacture problem. No one even looked at it. I begged for someone to at least come out and look but nothing.Asked to speak to the manager and was told she was busy but would email a link to send pictures. called a few hours later and gave my email address again just in case they wrote it down wrong. still 1 week later nothing. NEVER EVER BUY FROM ASHLEY!!!

9th of Aug, 2018

If paid with credit card file a credit card dispute and state that item is defective

• El
      11th of Aug, 2018

I’ve requested a replacement part for our recliner through the warranty company also more than 2 months ago and still sitting here waiting for it!

• Na
      22nd of Sep, 2018

Meanwhile in Wisconsin Ashley home stores have a great warranty. Customer support is fantastic and the techs took care of us. Took a picture, guy came out to home and fixed the rip and broken draw no questions asked.