Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care / Burned my mouth

Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care... my mouth and lips starting getting numb after a couple of days of using this product. It got so bad I could not taste anything anymore and I can only describe the inside of my mouth as 2nd degree burns on all surfaces. I have used Arm and Hammer toothpaste in the past with no problem. This new stuff is total crap. Luckily my taste came back after about a week of discontinued use or there would be a huge lawsuit! Many other complaints can be found online.

Ba
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Mj
      8th of Apr, 2012

FDA needs to remove it BURNED MY SKIN AND LIPS

• Ta
      30th of Jan, 2012
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

I bought this and didn't know what was happening to my mouth and lips! I though it was a cold sore, but the doctor said it wasnt that or fungus ... walls inside mouth feel burnt. got a small rash under the lips. I now know it;s the Arma dn hammer toothpaste. it's HORRIBLE! Needs to be banned.

8th of Jan, 2019

@tatjanaf Same thing happened to me. I have used this product before and it was great. The swelling in my mouth was scary.

• Mi
      14th of Nov, 2013

I have used this product and I have had the same problem. Swelling of the lips, cracking in the corners of the mouth, burning and dry lip edges which has remained somewhat reddish after almost a week of discontinuing use of the product. It is terrible. My lips are still a bit chapped and numb feeling as well, even now. A few days ago, I didn't want to even go into public areas because it looked and felt so bad. I used Neosporin Lip Moisturizer on them, but the burning is still going on from the inside to the outside. After about a week and my lips are still soar and burning with little feeling. Does anyone know who to contact about suing for this type of thing?

• Fe
      23rd of Dec, 2012

I use toothpaste once in a while to dry up zits. I have used Crest and other regular toothpastes before. I put Arm and Hammer PeroxiCare overnight and woke up with red rug burn type spot the size of a dollar coin on my face. This stuff burned my skin. I guess it's not the right use for a toothpaste. But it's something to think about.

• Mj
      8th of Apr, 2012

Burned my lips leaving cracks on sides and 2 inch burn mark on skin --FDA needs to remove it

• Ar
      16th of Apr, 2012

Burned my wife's mouth, bottom lip swelled up and chin went numb. This stuff is really nasty. Not all people react this way, but enough complaints and injuries online to pull it.

• Ca
      25th of Jan, 2013

My husband and I have experienced raw and swollen lips! Who do we contact??? I am very disappointed !!
    Carrie Davis Fayetteville, Arkansas

• Jp
      11th of Oct, 2018

@Carriedavis1 I just used Arm and Hammer once the other night. The next day I had what I would call a burn under my lower lip. Today, my both lips look like I had injections to make them bigger and my gums are swollen and my tongue feels numb. I threw the entire tube in the trash and have gone back to Colgate. I know that it will take time to heal. This toothpaste should be removed from the stores.

• Wa
      31st of May, 2015

Small blisters inside my lips and on the edges of my tongue. I hadn't had this problem before but I noticed when I brushed my teeth this last time it tasted different and I felt a burning inside my mouth. I did drink a Pepsi just before I brushed my teeth. Could it be a combination of the soda followed by the toothpaste that caused this type of a reaction?

• Li
      6th of Jun, 2015

I am having the same reaction - swollen, dry, burning lips and sores inside my mouth that I thought were cold sores! I suspected it might be the toothpaste! Arm and Hammer for healthy gums is what I'm using but now it is going in the garbage! This toothpaste needs a warning label or better yet pulled from the shelves!

• Be
      28th of Mar, 2013

I knew it was the toothpaste!! I used this product and had to go to the doctor from the burning and scars and blisters. I now have permanent discoloration on my face from burning and scars. I called the company, they offered me my money back on the tube of toothpaste. Really?... five dollars for permanent discoleration? Then they had their lawyers call me, but I have not called them back yet. I am very upset by the discoloration it has left on my face. Luckily I took pictures of it before and after. Does anyone else have scarring? I have never been on this board before, so I am not sure how it works. I found it specifically to find out of anyone else was scarred from this toothpaste.

• Ji
      31st of Jan, 2019

@Beccatxvt please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com regarding this...I have info

• Ro
      27th of Apr, 2015

I. Have concluded that I had the exact same reaction to this Peroxicare Toothpasmte as others, here. I bought some about a year ago and my mouth, lips, gums and tip of my tough became badly swollen, red and irritated. At the time, I assumed it was a real bad case of cold sores, even, even though there were no kanker-type blisters. I didn't associate it with the toothpaste, I just figured the toothpaste burned so bad because of the herpe infection in my mouth. Now, one year later, I picked up another tube, and the same exact thing happened. It then occurred to me that perhaps the toothpaste had something to do with it. After much online research, I'm sure of it.

• Sh
      19th of Apr, 2017

Same reaction as mentioned above by everyone. Chapped swollen lips, dry mouth etc.. I'm a college student, used it on spring break on my visit the Caribbean. Big mistake, my lips are suffering, at first I thought it was the salt water.. but after getting back I realized it kept happening and getting worse. I stopped and a day later chapped lips are healing, swelling is going down and my moth isn't as dry. Thanks Arm and Hammer, for making me realize not all toothpaste is for me. In my opinion it's too harsh for a toothpaste.

• Te
      4th of Jul, 2015

I developed a red rash/irritation under my lower lip. I went to two different physicians and was prescribed ointments to help. One physician said it liked like a chemical burn. The ointments didn't help so I discontinued use after a month . One of the physicians thought it may be peri-oral dermatitis. Because I typically get toothpaste under my lip when brushing in an area similar to the discoloration, I decided to change my brand of toothpaste from arm and hammer toothpaste for healthy gums to Sensydyne. I'm happy to report that after a week, the area is much improved. Who thought toothpaste could be the culprit?

• Jl
      11th of Aug, 2015

Add me to the list of vvictims! This is the second time I have tried the Periox-Care and the second time I have had a reaction to it after using it only two nights in a row. I woke up this morning with dry, cracked, and swollen lips. The roof of my mouth is also irritated. Will not EVER try this paste again.

• Am
      17th of Nov, 2015

I so agree with all these symptoms!!! I had a swollen tongue as well as peeling blisters on my gums!! The pain was so intense that I felt as if my gums were severely burnt!!! The pain was excruciating !!! I finally figured out that it was the Arm & Hammer peroxicare!!! Ban this stu[censored] My tastebuds and mouth are still recovering after a week of cessation :0

• Es
      10th of Jan, 2017

Last year during this time I started get cracks on the sides of my lips and I bought aquaphor and heavily moisturized my lips because I thought it was because of the cold weather. It went on for months maybe 2-3 months even when I went on vacation the LA my lips were still cracked in the warm weather. Until recently I started a fresh tube of Arm & Hammer baking soda & peroxide, that I realized this might be the cause of the problem. I see that other people are having the same effects as me!

• Be
      28th of Mar, 2017

I have had the same terrible reaction from using the Arm & Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda for extreme whitening. My whole mouth is on fire, inside and out and it feels like needles in my mouth. I can't eat or drink anything that is even remotely hot.
    When I look at the dates of the other complaints, I can see that this has been going on for years! How can they be continuing to sell this product?? Maybe we should all be part of a class action lawsuit and get this product off the shelves forever!
    Becky
    Pekin, IL

• Je
      28th of Oct, 2017

Arm and Hammer screwed up when they discontinued Mentadent toothpaste! I called the company to complain and they said it was a marketing decision. My response was that it was the worst marketing decision they could have ever made! I had used Mentadent since it came out because other toothpastes would leave a slimy film on my lips. Long story short, the company sent me a coupon to try Peroxicare toothpaste or another toothpaste with whitening properties. I’ve tried all A&H toothpastes and I HATE THEM!!! Each one has burned and irritated my mouth, tongue, gums and lips. I’ve also tried other brands with peroxide and baking soda...same effects!! PLEASE BRING MENTADENT BACK, ARM & HAMMER!!!

21st of Sep, 2017

I have the same complaint after having several episodes of major lip swelling and after reading all these complaints it's the A&H Peroxi-Care toothpaste! I couldn't figure out what was causing the swelling but I used the Peroxi-Care last night and woke up in the middle of the night with major swelling. My tongue is also swollen and like others that have complained I can't believe there're still selling this stuff! I have taken pictures of the last major swelling and showed friends and their reaction was "looks like you had botox done". Yes, that bad! If there's a pending or current lawsuit count me in. I have had to stay home from work several days because of the swelling and pain this is causing not to mention the after affect of major chapped lips after swelling goes down, not fun at all! This toothpaste should be banned!

• Je
      14th of Jun, 2018

Oh my!! Wish I had looked this up a lot sooner but never thought my issues were from the toothpaste.
    I actually had a skin doctor thinking I had skin cancer on my lips. I was very uncomfortable with his diagnosis and decided to get a second opinion. He had given me a prescription for chemothreapy cream. Between the first doctor and the second opinion, I realized my toothpaste had the peroxide with the whitening and it put up a red flag. I told the second doctor about my discovery and he agreed. The first doctor jumped to the conclusion and wanted me to use the cream before taking a biopsy on lips. I guess he was that sure it was skin cancer on my lips. I had a gut feeling not to go through with it. Found out today I do NOT have skin cancer. The burning, sore, dry lips are from the toothpaste.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2018

@JeanK That is awful. I almost thought I had some kind of oral cancer because of the pain and blistering. Who knew a toothpaste could do so much damage. My mouth has gotten better but my lips still feel like they are on fire.