Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care / Burned my mouth

Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care... my mouth and lips starting getting numb after a couple of days of using this product. It got so bad I could not taste anything anymore and I can only describe the inside of my mouth as 2nd degree burns on all surfaces. I have used Arm and Hammer toothpaste in the past with no problem. This new stuff is total crap. Luckily my taste came back after about a week of discontinued use or there would be a huge lawsuit! Many other complaints can be found online.

Ba

Comments

• Ta
      30th of Jan, 2012

I bought this and didn't know what was happening to my mouth and lips! I though it was a cold sore, but the doctor said it wasnt that or fungus ... walls inside mouth feel burnt. got a small rash under the lips. I now know it;s the Arma dn hammer toothpaste. it's HORRIBLE! Needs to be banned.

• Mj
      8th of Apr, 2012

Burned my lips leaving cracks on sides and 2 inch burn mark on skin --FDA needs to remove it

• Mj
      8th of Apr, 2012

FDA needs to remove it BURNED MY SKIN AND LIPS

• Ar
      16th of Apr, 2012

Burned my wife's mouth, bottom lip swelled up and chin went numb. This stuff is really nasty. Not all people react this way, but enough complaints and injuries online to pull it.

• Fe
      23rd of Dec, 2012

I use toothpaste once in a while to dry up zits. I have used Crest and other regular toothpastes before. I put Arm and Hammer PeroxiCare overnight and woke up with red rug burn type spot the size of a dollar coin on my face. This stuff burned my skin. I guess it's not the right use for a toothpaste. But it's something to think about.

• Ca
      25th of Jan, 2013

My husband and I have experienced raw and swollen lips! Who do we contact??? I am very disappointed !!
    Carrie Davis Fayetteville, Arkansas

• Jp
      11th of Oct, 2018

@Carriedavis1 I just used Arm and Hammer once the other night. The next day I had what I would call a burn under my lower lip. Today, my both lips look like I had injections to make them bigger and my gums are swollen and my tongue feels numb. I threw the entire tube in the trash and have gone back to Colgate. I know that it will take time to heal. This toothpaste should be removed from the stores.

• Be
      28th of Mar, 2013

I knew it was the toothpaste!! I used this product and had to go to the doctor from the burning and scars and blisters. I now have permanent discoloration on my face from burning and scars. I called the company, they offered me my money back on the tube of toothpaste. Really?... five dollars for permanent discoleration? Then they had their lawyers call me, but I have not called them back yet. I am very upset by the discoloration it has left on my face. Luckily I took pictures of it before and after. Does anyone else have scarring? I have never been on this board before, so I am not sure how it works. I found it specifically to find out of anyone else was scarred from this toothpaste.

• Mi
      14th of Nov, 2013

I have used this product and I have had the same problem. Swelling of the lips, cracking in the corners of the mouth, burning and dry lip edges which has remained somewhat reddish after almost a week of discontinuing use of the product. It is terrible. My lips are still a bit chapped and numb feeling as well, even now. A few days ago, I didn't want to even go into public areas because it looked and felt so bad. I used Neosporin Lip Moisturizer on them, but the burning is still going on from the inside to the outside. After about a week and my lips are still soar and burning with little feeling. Does anyone know who to contact about suing for this type of thing?

• Ro
      27th of Apr, 2015

I. Have concluded that I had the exact same reaction to this Peroxicare Toothpasmte as others, here. I bought some about a year ago and my mouth, lips, gums and tip of my tough became badly swollen, red and irritated. At the time, I assumed it was a real bad case of cold sores, even, even though there were no kanker-type blisters. I didn't associate it with the toothpaste, I just figured the toothpaste burned so bad because of the herpe infection in my mouth. Now, one year later, I picked up another tube, and the same exact thing happened. It then occurred to me that perhaps the toothpaste had something to do with it. After much online research, I'm sure of it.

• Wa
      31st of May, 2015
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Small blisters inside my lips and on the edges of my tongue. I hadn't had this problem before but I noticed when I brushed my teeth this last time it tasted different and I felt a burning inside my mouth. I did drink a Pepsi just before I brushed my teeth. Could it be a combination of the soda followed by the toothpaste that caused this type of a reaction?

• Li
      6th of Jun, 2015

I am having the same reaction - swollen, dry, burning lips and sores inside my mouth that I thought were cold sores! I suspected it might be the toothpaste! Arm and Hammer for healthy gums is what I'm using but now it is going in the garbage! This toothpaste needs a warning label or better yet pulled from the shelves!

• Te
      4th of Jul, 2015

I developed a red rash/irritation under my lower lip. I went to two different physicians and was prescribed ointments to help. One physician said it liked like a chemical burn. The ointments didn't help so I discontinued use after a month . One of the physicians thought it may be peri-oral dermatitis. Because I typically get toothpaste under my lip when brushing in an area similar to the discoloration, I decided to change my brand of toothpaste from arm and hammer toothpaste for healthy gums to Sensydyne. I'm happy to report that after a week, the area is much improved. Who thought toothpaste could be the culprit?

• Jl
      11th of Aug, 2015

Add me to the list of vvictims! This is the second time I have tried the Periox-Care and the second time I have had a reaction to it after using it only two nights in a row. I woke up this morning with dry, cracked, and swollen lips. The roof of my mouth is also irritated. Will not EVER try this paste again.

• Am
      17th of Nov, 2015

I so agree with all these symptoms!!! I had a swollen tongue as well as peeling blisters on my gums!! The pain was so intense that I felt as if my gums were severely burnt!!! The pain was excruciating !!! I finally figured out that it was the Arm & Hammer peroxicare!!! Ban this stu[censored] My tastebuds and mouth are still recovering after a week of cessation :0

• S2
      24th of Jan, 2016

I've used the A&H Perioxicare before and yes, it's a bit strong. But I would categorize the effect as a burn. HOWEVER, when I used their Sensitive -- from the makers of Orajel toothpaste, that's when my burn occurred. First I thought it was a saliva issue... and stopped using it after the first 2 times figuring it would go away after 10 minutes, just like the Perioxicare does. However, strangely, it was only inside my lower lip from the tissue at the top down to the 'crevice' that attaches at the bottom of my gums/jawbone. Nowhere else. Took me more time to realize that this is an actual burn!!! OMG. Moreover I see on the box it says, in TINY TYPE ON THE BACK "do not use longer than 4 weeks." Really?! That's a significant warning. I am contacting the company and the FDA as well.

• S2
      29th of Jan, 2016

oops... "would NOT categorize it a burn. However..." Apologies

• Gi
      6th of Aug, 2016

I began using Arm and Hammer Peroxicare after I stopped for about 3 months. The reason I stopped was because I thought it was the cause for cracks in the corners of my mouth and irritation in my mouth. All was well, then I decided to "experiment" and use it again to see if the same thing would happen. Well, I can say that as I write this, my mouth has cracks where my top and bottom lips meet and the inside is sore and tender.
    This really needs to be taken off store shelves. Obviously, a LOT of people are having the same reaction to it so something is wrong.

• Al
      15th of Oct, 2016

I thought I was having a food reaction when my lips began burning and swelling. But it happened again after using Arm and Hammer Peroxicare toothpaste just once. My lips began itching and tingling after brushing my teeth. I looked in the mirror and my bottom lip was red, swollen and cracked. Plus they were dried out. I immediately put olive oil on them but it didn't help. This toothpaste is like acid. I've used the regular Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste without peroxide without problems. There needs to be a warning. I thought peroxide was good for the gums. Arm and Hammer must be adding a very abrasive mixture to its Peroxicare toothpaste.

• Br
      19th of Dec, 2016

I had the same problems with painful gums/mouth. I didn't know what it was but I feel that it is my Arm and Hammer baking soda/peroxide toothpaste! I don't even like to eat everything due to everything stick to my gums. It's like my mouth is without salvia and my mouth is constantly burning. I just hope I can enjoy Christmas food this year! I plan on throwing it away! This is the second time I tried using this toothpaste I I had a problem about 2 to 3 months ago and change a lot of things trying to figure out my problem. I change so much I didn't realize that it was my tooth paste until I tried Arm and Hammer again and within 4 days my mouth was on fire as well as being so very dry!

• Aq
      8th of Jan, 2017

I've experienced the same thing, cracks on side of my mouth. As well as extra dry and chapped lips. I know it's the arm and hammer toothpaste. It happened on three different occasions after using that toothpaste, years apart.