Arizona Republic / Scam and cheating

1 200 E. Van BurenPhoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 602-444-1000

I give up, these people are impossible !! After weeks of back and forth, placed on eternal hold, voice messages not returned and just plain rudeness, I have decided it's just not worth it. The Arizona Republic stopped delivering my paper due to what it claims was nonpayment of our invoice. We paid the invoice online 7-19-08 and it showed as deducted on our bank statement 7-23-08. They keep claiming they didn't get it.

I tried repeatedly to give them the reference number but they refuse to research their error. With all the arrogance and condescension they could muster they insist that I have to fax my bank statement to them. I asked them if they were kidding with this??!! My bank has strongly suggested that I should not do that. That is private information and is no business of theirs.

We spoke with any number of nitwits on the phone, including supervisors and managers, all to no avail, and they will not bend. Needless to say, in their ineptitude and disorganization they still point the finger at me and tell me it's my problem to prove myself innocent. So, they have my money, and I have no paper.

Oddly enough, they seem to have no problem canceling my subscription at my request, and can do THAT right away...

I have been anatomically specific on what they can do with their paper. No thanks, and never again. These people are complete ###s...

Va

Comments

• Ji
      6th of Nov, 2008

I've just talked with one of their Customer Service Reps and confirm that they don't have any inclination to listen to the customer's story or admit that their position might be wrong. In my case I was billed for continuing to receive the paper (which I had never requested a continuation in the 1st place), after I twice notified them that I wanted my service cancelled. The rep just said she couldn't do anything about their extra billing. So I now know that Arizona Republic is one of those slimy businesses that it's best to avoid in the first place.

• Az
      24th of Sep, 2012

Arizona Republic Totally deceitful subscriptions.Giving them my credit card number cost me months of automatic bill charges. If is not true that you can cancel anytime. When you sign with your card, you sign for a contract that is minimum 3 to 6 months at no promotional price. Be aware..never give your credit card number to Arizona republic newspaper. There are many complains in the web of their awful customer service department that never listen to the customers.

• Un
      7th of Sep, 2013

I just learned from a representative with the AZ Republic that I am now being billed for more than just the newspaper I have received for the past 14 years. Apparently, as the readership of the paper has declined over the years, the powers that be decided to add their publication online. This is a fine service if that is how you like to read your news. However, for those of us who do not enjoy getting our information from a computer, we continue to subscribe for home delivery. Despite my plea to NOT to participate online, I was told it didn't matter what I want. The AZ Republic will continue to charge me as if I used that service even if I no longer had a computer! There is no way to separate the charges so if I continue to subscribe for home delivery, I will be billed for online access. This breaks down to $3.99 per week for the hard copy and $1.05 per week for online access, a total of about $300 (including tax) per year. I realize the Republic has seen a decline in their bottom line over the years and they need to come up with some creative ways to increase their income. I do not believe it should be at the expense of their loyal newspaper readers. I would suggest they split their fees into 2 possibilities, one for newspaper delivery and the other for online access. I don't know what went into their decision to charge their current readership for computer access to the news but as a retiree I resent the additional burden and know that it is only a matter of time before I join the ranks of those to turn on my TV to become informed.