Apple Ipod Shuffle / Buyer beware, no matter how popular the product is!

I purchased an Apple iPOD shuffle for my son for Xmas 2005. In June, he had to return it for repair. He was told he had to send it to HP (Hewlett Packard). We thought they had some sort of repair agreement with Apple. It broke again. In November, he had to again return it to HP. At that point, the customer service person told him that this was actually an HP product NOT an Apple product. Although it had the Apple symbol first , then below it " iPOD" then in small letters below that HP.

HP had my son return the original box, disk, lanyard, ear phones and iPod. All we got back was an original iPod. I called and they said they could send the earplugs. (yet another day sitting at home waiting for UPS since you have to sign). I spoke to a supervisor and although they did have units, in boxes, with all components, he was not authorized to send me one. I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said he would call me back. Never did. I emailed Mark Hurd the CEO of HP. Over 1 week later ( Jan 17) I got a standard email saying that A Customer Escalation team would review my case)as of Jan 25 I still have not heard anything. This is an Apple product They need to make sure that I am their satisfied customer. It is not my problem that they did some sort of joint venture with HP. Apple's customer service group doesn't even know who to refer you too. I am disgusted with this service. Buyer beware. If you are not going to get good customer service stay away from the producer no matter how popular the product is.

Va

Comments

• Ro
      8th of Oct, 2007

It's an HP-branded Apple product, therefore HP is responsible for it. It's weird that they wanted all the accessories back if they were going to replace the unit though, they usually just swap it out with a refurbished one.

• Da
      4th of Feb, 2008

Sorry to hear about your trouble--but if you want a quality Apple product, buy it from Apple, not HP. I promise you, if you have a problem with a real Apple product, you will get a brand new one for free (as long as it's still under warranty). They are a good company--HP is not.

21st of Aug, 2008

Dont complain about Apple because you bought a low-quality HP product

• Wi
      8th of Jul, 2009

Serious warning for serious trainers concerning the new Apple ipod Shuffle!
    Please read this before you consider purchasing the new ipod Shuffle. I will also preface this by stating that this is the FIRST TIME I have ever posted a complaint. I am typically not a fan of these complaint boards, but feel that this warning should be considered.

This product is meant for the person solely interested and impressed by gadgetry rather than practicality. I currently own the new Apple ipod Shuffle (not a low-quality off-brand). This is my second ipod, and I used to be pleased with the product. The new design, however, is obviously geared more toward form than function.

I finally downloaded the updates to end my first problem with the new ipod: the brilliant concept that changes music on the listener simply by placing the ipod in your pocket or inadvertently tipping it upside down.

The second serious flaw with this product for anyone into training and excercise is the lack of control of any function if you happen to work up a sweat. I did NOT have this problem to the extent that I currently do with the old design. I have come home repeatedly disgusted after a work out or run because I LITERALLY LOST ALL CONTROL OF VOLUME, PLAYLISTS, AND ANY MENU OPTION due to sweat on my thumb. The final straw that prompted this complaint is the fact that my left ear is still ringing, because while on a run I worked up a sweat (go figure). Three quarters of the way through my run the volume spiked on me to full blast. I could not adjust the volume because my fingers were sweaty. Finally, I removed the headphones and just gave up on it.

I am aware that a solution to the latter problem is to purchase a rubber or plastic cover. I have tried this. It only prolongs the use of your ipod a short bit as sweat eventually gets caught inside of this protector with the same end result.

I am on my way right now to purchase a much less expensive, much more basic, and moreover, much more practical product.

• Wi
      8th of Jul, 2009

CORRECTION TO ABOVE COMPLAINT REGARDING SERIOUS WARNING FOR SERIOUS TRAINERS. The product I wish to complain about is the NANO, not the shuffle. I tried to go back and edit my complaint, but was unable to.

Please note: I do not wish to retract any part of my complaint, rather to clarify that my product is the NANO.

8th of Jan, 2010

I've had the same problem with the new shuffle. It stinks!