Ancestry.com Vital Check / money taken out of credit card

I tried to get my husbands birth certificate through Vital Check but they were asking me to get some paperwork notorized and fax things over to them. I decided to cancel the order, it said it was not complete if I didn't do the notorizing and faxing. The next day they took $12 out of my credit card for no reason. They are very deceitful! Can you imagine how many people they take $12 out of their account for no good reason?! -Laura

La

Comments

• Ge
      25th of Feb, 2011

It's important to recognize that Ancestry.com has nothing to do with retrieving actual birth certificates. All they do is refer you to companies that can do it (Vital Check in your case?). If you have a problem with the service, complain about the company that's providing the service, not about the company that referred you to them.

In any case, did you know that you can get birth certificates directly from the government? Check with your state (or in my case, the county) where it was originally registered. You can get copies of certificates, and it's always cheaper than going through 3rd parties (though admittedly not as convenient if you happen to live on the opposite side of the country).