AmeriCredit / I will never recommend them to anyone!

We purchased a vehicle in 2004 and financed through Americredit. We made our monthly payments on time until Oct 07. We got a month behind and then picked back up and again made payments. My husband and I noticed that we had not received an invoice for quite a while but were not concerned we were making the payments and knew that we would get around to calling one day. In January 2009 we fell behind again but were going to catch back up this past Friday. Thursday a tow truck appeared in the yard and they advised me they were there for the car. I was surprised since I had not heard from AmeriCredit either by phone or mail ever. I call them only to find out they had charged off our account in 2007. Not sure what that meant since all cars I had ever heard of being taken back were repo'ed. I asked where the money that we had been paying went and they advised on the charged off debt amount. I know this sounds like I am stupid but I have never heard of an auto finance company charging off a car, allow the person to continue to pay on it and carry insurance on it. When I ask if I could do a check over the phone to bring it current she told me they needed 6300.00 or they were going to take the car. I have driven the car for over 202, 000 miles and it had seen better days so we told them to come and get it. (It actually broke down on my daughter while she was going to work that day) They then advised me that we had the option to buy the vehicle for what they appraised it at and would call me with the opportunity. Not sure I have ever heard of this. No notification in 07 that there was an issue with the account and nothing prior to coming to get it. Go figure. I will never recommend them to anyone!!!

N  15th of Apr, 2009 by
first of all you couldnt of been 1 month behind u probably was 4 months behind come on now ...they dont want to repo your car just because 1 month behind, get your lie together and pay your bills thats probably why u were financed through americredit cuz your credit sucks!!!