[Resolved] American Van Lines / gross underestimate

1 Buffalo, NY, United States

I received an estimate from this company for packing and moving for a long distance move from NY to MD. The customer representative was kind and helpful. When it came time for the move, the movers were estimated to arrive at noon, and showed up at 8:30pm. I asked twice if the could start the next day, as it was late and the compromise was they would stop at 10pm and return the next day. The movers were nice and worked very hard, however took much longer than I would have anticipated.
Upon my final receipt, they charge me $1100 more for packing than initially estimated. I brought this to the attention of my customer service rep and he went over some of the packing items and said I could review this with the drivers. The drivers seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned this to them. However, they said this happens all the time, meaning customers were always quoted much lower than final price. Now I have been dealing with the reps not returning my voicemails or giving me straightforward answers and solutions. Oh, wait, I was given one solution, which was the suggestion that I should have packed more boxes on my own!
The moving process was ok, but I do not think I will pay for someone to pack my things, and definitely not this company in the future.

• Resolution statement

AVL called me to remedy the situation. I spoke with their customer service rep and the president of the company and we went through the entire case. Ultimately, we were able to resolve the situation. I felt like they treated me with great respect and were truly sorry for what happened during the move.

Kp