American Mattress / Refused Return In Warranty

1 IL, United States Review updated:

To Whom It May Concern:

On March 4, 2007, my husband and I purchased a Serta King Ultimate Indulgence Mattress from the American Mattress store located on 414 S. Randall Road in Algonquin IL and spent almost $4200. Before delivery, we shopped around for mattress covers and decided to buy the Protect-A-Bed cover from American Mattress.

On March 6, 2007 we stopped at the American Mattress store located on 351 S. Randall Road in Elgin IL on our way back from our son’s Karate class. We have been extremely pleased with everything, including customer service until today.

Unfortunately our Mattress Cover started to fail us. The gortex began to separate from the top portion of the cover. On November 27, 2010 we stopped at the 414 S. Randall Road store in Algonquin IL and dealt with a gentleman by the name of Gordy. He was extremely focused on taking care of us. We filled out the necessary paperwork which appeared to be a return slip for the Mattress Cover manufacturer. Gordy started the transaction, however, due to the location of where we originally bought the cover, he was unable to complete the exchange upon getting to a particular field on his computer. He called his boss and they told us that we would need to go to the Elgin store for the exchange.

Even though traffic was heavy due to the holiday weekend, we decided to drive the 14 miles to the Elgin store. We were greeted by Greg Peel. My husband explained that we had a mattress cover to exchange that was within the warranty period. Mr. Peel immediately told us that he could do nothing for us and that we had to call the manufacturer. I told Mr. Peel that we were just at the Algonquin IL store and were told to drive to his store for the exchange and that we just spent over 35 minutes traveling. Mr. Peel said that he did not care what the Algonquin store told us, he would not do the exchange. His words that followed were, “you just don’t understand how warranties work.” At this point, I realized that we were not going to be treated in a respectful manner. I asked to speak to the manager of the store and was quickly told that he was the manager and that there was no other person above him to speak to. Mr. Peel quickly communicated his authority with harsh words, demeaning behavior, and overall non-existent customer service empathy. His words were, “I don’t care, ” “You are wrong, ” “You people have an attitude, ” – mind you all of this was in front of our 12 year old son. In addition, he would not listen to us and would immediately talk over us. This is unacceptable behavior.

While in Mr. Peel’s store, I called Gordy and explained what Mr. Peel said and how we were being treated. Gordy offered to speak to Mr. Peel.

Once Mr. Peel was done with a customer purchase, I told Mr. Peel that Gordy would speak to him. Mr. Peel never once clarified which Algonquin, IL store we had been referring to. Again, his inability to relate and listen to his customers, he called the wrong Algonquin store. Mr. Peel, then said to me, “Lady, you are not going to the right store, nor even an American Mattress store?” I showed him my American Mattress receipt and showed him the location. He then refused to call Gordy once I showed him the receipt. His justification on refusing to call was that he had nothing to do with that store. I asked him one more time to call Gordy at American Mattress. While on the phone with Gordy, Mr. Peel demonstrated the same behavior, belittling and manipulating language. Gordy told Mr. Peel, “look you have the customer in your store, let’s try and make this as convenient as possible and take care of them.” Mr. Peel hung up on Gordy.

I asked Mr. Peel for his business card and made him aware that I would be contacting the Attorney General’s office. His response was, “I gave you my card, don’t care what you do” and then he demanded that my husband and I leave “his” store.

My understanding was that this was a “family owned and operated” company. Mr. Peel’s behavior and language, especially in front of a 12 year old child, is not one that I would want my family to be a part of.

We can not tell you how frustrated, abused, and disappointed we feel over Mr. Peel’s behavior and language over a $90 item. Words can not express our dissatisfaction with your company.

Due to the level of mistreatment by Mr. Peel and American Mattress, we have filed an official complaint with the Attorney General, Lisa Madigan.

Regretfully,

Abused & Frustrated Customer

Comments

• Ro
      11th of Apr, 2011

Good afternoon,
    My name is Rose Leahy, and I work for Protect-A-Bed. I am sorry you experienced negative customer service from the store you purchased our product at. Please feel free to contact Protect-A-Bed for a replacement protector if you have not done so already 866-297-8836.

Thank you for purchasing our product, and I am sorry about the inconvenience.

Rose Leahy