American Income Life / Don't be fooled!

1 SD, United States Review updated:

I totally agree with all of your comments. I, too and the other people I trained with was led to believe we were getting a guarantee for six months. So, after we had been there a couple of weeks we asked our manager and found out the truth about the so-called guarantee. Another thing that I really disliked about the company was the training. This was the most unorganized training I have ever seen. It was only supposed to take two weeks but it actually took about 3 -4 weeks and all of it was unpaid. What a bunch of cheap ### that can't even pay you while you train.

The next thing the managers don't tell you is that all of these leads are union members that are really just signing up for Free Stuff and then on the bottom of the card in small print it tells them somebody will discuss their insurance with them. I was led to believe when I got hired that these people actually wanted to hear about insurance and that is why they sent back their card. They are just baiting and switching.

The newest thing now is the Child Safe Kit. What agents do is put sign up boxes in places like daycares for a free child safe kit. Then the agents call these people that signed up to deliver the free child safe kits and when the agent gets in the home they start trying to sell insurance. What a scam!!!

I was also told when I started the travel would be minimal. But this was not true either a lot of my appointments were at least 45 miles from home and with high gas prices that can get very expensive. And after being there about a month, I was told that we didn't have very many leads for our town and we would have to travel more. What happened to all these unlimited leads I was told about.

Don't be fooled by the fact that when hired, you are told you are and independent contractor. You have very little freedom and are required to be at two weekly meetings. I thought being an independent contractor meant you do your own thing and work your own hours. But not with this company, you have no freedom.

In closing, my advice is if you ever get a call from American Income Life about a job interview, hang up the phone right away. They paint a very good picture and promise you that you will make big bucks. But for the most part it is all lies and half-truths.

Bi

Comments

• Je
      19th of Dec, 2007

I disagree with you totally. I believe this job is like any other commission based job, when you sell you earn. And when you are a good seller you are making big bucks buddy! Don't bad talk just because you weren't fit for the job.

• Ho
      15th of Jan, 2008

I am an employee in one of our houston offices,and I just want to say that just because a person is hearing what they want to hear is not the fault of the company. At any company there the potential to make a certain amount of money, of course its not just going to drop into your bank account. There is a certain amount of drive and ambition that it takes to achieve earnings in six figure numbers. Please dont blame companies for your lack and or laziness. Yes its hard work ,yes it is frustrating at times, but thats what comes with success. Everyday I see agents come in and in 3-6 months become top producers making in one week what some dont make in a month. This industry is not for everyone and there are people in this world who are great salesmen and know and there are also great salesman who dont know that they are, you cant knock until you try it. How would you even know especially if you gave up before trying. If you are a hardworker and want to make money for hardwork then AIL is for you on the other hand if you want to whine about being scammed and get a paycheck whether you work hard or not then you will always have something to say. The fact of the matter is this is a billion dollar company that has been around for more than 56 years your comments dont hurt as much as you think they do.

• Rc
      21st of Jan, 2008

AIL filed $23,000,000 in ALP for the last quarter with the SEC. There were less than 2,500 contracted agents during that time. The latest average ALP per agent is about $780 per week. After expenses, that is way below making $300.00 a week. I challenge any Altig proponent to refute that fact with objective evidence.

I worked with this company for a few months, and I did work hard. I also did very well according to the company. I wrote over $10,000 in ALP my first full month. After I did my own research on how much money I was really making after expenses, it was still WAY below $50,000 a year-and that was from working 65+ hours per week, weekends and nights. If I was making way above the average agent, how can Altig recruiters claim the average agent makes $50,000 to $60,000 a year?

If you want to work hard for someone at the top of a pyramid and make below minimum wage for your efforts, even though you are working HARD and LONG HOURS, then this company is for you. If you want to be lied to, brainwashed, misled and crafted into a script speaking robot who does not question anything for fear of having a "negative attitude" then this company is for you.

True, the insurance industry is not for everyone, but ANYONE interested in the industry can find a much better situation that compensates much better for hard work than ALTIG.

I ask any Altig employee who thinks they have a nice set-up right now to go speak with recruiters at any other big name insurance company, and you will be blown away at how much better these other companies compensate you for your efforts. You are wasting your time and effort at Altig.

27th of Feb, 2008

Hi, I just got a phone call from American Income my CV was posted on the internet... She wants to set up an interview for an executive director position for the Concord office in CA..But after reading all your comments I think I will keep looking for another job. They seem very interested on me, because I have a masters degree and 12 years of experience. Thank you!

• Ju
      6th of Apr, 2008

American Income Life / National Income Life encourages all complaints to be addressed by email to: jmsvacina@ailife.com

• Fi
      16th of Apr, 2008

Any positive comments about this company are obviously coming from the very few who are successful with them, not the multitude of agents who worked long hours with little to show. I have never heard of a major insurance company that expects agents to use their own cellphones (while in the office) to set up appointments. What cheap skates. Furthermore their so-called confirmed leads are nothing but a scam & sham. The union members that you call on are really just expecting you to deliver their FREE $2000 accidental death and dismemberment policy along with the child safety kit. Once in their homes you are then expected to sell them insurance. These union members are only told that they may qualify for additional optional benefits until you actually step foot into their houses; that's when your cold selling of insurance takes place. I'm sure there are agents who are doing well, they are probably the agents that would try to convince "the old lady in the shoe that she needs more children".

19th of Jun, 2008

I'm in high school right now, and looking for a summer job. Needless to say, I've applied for dozens but no luck because no one seems to take me seriously. I got a strange call from a woman with an accent. Because I was so confused and nervous, I never heard the name of the company just the location at 120 Eglinton Ave. Suite 200 (in Toronto). She told me to dress professionally and bring in a resume. I freaked out because I got an interview and I didn't even know which company I applied for; not to mention HELLLOOO I had nothing professional to wear. So I tried to research the address and surprisingly it took a lot of effort. Then, I found a bunch of websites saying the same thing. It is really fishy how they would contact you without knowing anything about you. I'm going to the interview. Wish me luck, I'm going to expose their scam and tell that to everyone I see.
    FYI AIL: you're so stupid, at least look at who you're calling. I'm a high school student, I can hardly get an interview at Toys R Us and this "big" insurance company wants to interview me?
    I was so mad yet so relieved when I found out. Thank you guys! I live in Canada btw. And I'll keep you updated for what happens after I expose them.

• Ci
      10th of Jul, 2008

I see more and more resumes come through with no graduation dates, no completion of anything and when we call 9 times out of 10 the person has been out of highschool at least 5 years and graduated. A resume is supposed to be a document to impress possible employers to want to make them call you. Most can not even type a sentence without spelling errors. We all make mistakes, but have someone double check your work. I work for AIL and we take our recruiting very seriously. We review each and every resume before we contact that person and we do not contact everyone. I do not call anyone that can not complete a template on monster or career builder. It is amazing how many people believe what they read. I guess that is why so many people don't have a career or a job and their resumes have been posted for over 6 months. Stuck at the same place and still trying to get out? An interview wheather good or bad is not a waste of time, but consider it a learning experience. If you don't take a chance and experience how will you ever know if that was for you or not? Just because I read a book does not mean I can write a book or could I. Never know unless I try.

• La
      12th of Aug, 2008

First of all Cindy, if you are a true recruiter, you would know that people do NOT have to put graduation dates on resumes. Do you know the reason why? It is to prevent discrimination based on age. But being the successful HR person that you are, you knew that I'm sure, but would like to know peoples ages so it would save you time from calling high school students and or other parties who don't meet certain "criteria".

I can't believe how many people from that company respond to my resume indicating that I have skills to sell. I get at least 1 e-mail a day. ROFLMAO - I have never been, nor will I ever go into sales. These people don’t read your resume. They select everyone on the page, send out a “mass e-mail” and move on to the next page. Being a recruiter I have access to all job board postings and can review resumes. Mass e-mails are unprofessional and not personalized. It takes about 10 minutes to send out 100 letters. It’s a numbers game for them. Throw out a line and leave in the water long enough you’ll eventually get a bite.

No one should ever pay someone to find them a job or maintain their job. If you are really interested in insurance sales, yes you have to have training and licensure which cost money up front. However, reputable companies provide, cell phones, laptops, toll free numbers, business cards, license reimbursement, some even provide company cars and/or car allowances and/or mileage reimbursement. They don't use a "ruse" to get into peoples homes either.

I'm sure if you deducted the mileage, wear and tear on the car, the cell phone bill, number of hours worked per week, etc., (are employees covered by workers comp if they are involved in a car accident on the way to a client or sales call?) you would see there is not that much money to be made. The dedicated employees would see they are making about $10.00 hr. You can make that in retail sales and get commission on top without having to drive all over town and work 65 hours a week.

Get a real insurance job with a reputable company. Any company that cannot answer all your questions on the phone doesn't deserve your time or your skills. The next thing is they would want you making those same calls to people to get them in the door.

Lauren

• Ai
      13th of Aug, 2008

Lauren- I love it how people come on this site and bash a company they know so little about! I am one of those "dedicated employees" and I make more then 10.00 an hour. In fact my first year with the company I cleared 75K. Instead of wasting your time talking about things you have no idea about, spend it looking for a job. Oh and please tell me what insurance company provides a cell phone, car and a lap top. I am in business for myself it's not AIL's job to provide that stuff for me. Every company is different. AIL does great things for the families we work with. How do we use a "ruse" to get into people's homes??? Buy giving them free stuff that their family will use? Yeah I can see how that's a ruse! Do you know some of the unions we work have NO health care? So the things we're able to provide is all they have. I am proud to work for this company!

NOT A SCAM

• Rc
      15th of Aug, 2008

Katie:

I hope you know that you don't have workers comp as a 1099 employee. I really hope you have E&O insurance as well, i'm not trying to start an argument but when I worked for AIL I didn't have that coverage. E&O is very important, if you don't have it please look into getting it because you will be held liable in Court if you are charged with anything-all sales people should have E&O insurance but AIL never told me that. ALso, many agencies provide expense accounts, in fact most do. Learn a little more about insurance and you can branch out and sell P&C products, life insurance really isn't that lucrative. Try and become a broker if you are serious in your industry. As someone who worked for AIL, I realized I didn't know anything when I was with them but I took that experience as a stepping stone onto much bigger things! I promise you AIL is not a good place for any intelligent person to work. If you are a former convict or have very little education (not trying to be insulting, seriously) then it may be a good thing for you because of the limits of obtaining a better job somewhere else. Do not limit yourself to AIL if you have an education and a clean record!

• Ai
      26th of Aug, 2008

R Clement: How am I not supposed to take that as an insult? You pretty much said that I'm not an intelligent person. I would hate to hear what you have to say when you mean to insult someone! I understand what your saying but I guess I don't care! I'm doing whats right for me and I can give a ### what anyone else has to say about it. The point is that I didn't just jump into it. No one ever lied to me about what I was getting into. I knew what to expect. Just because this opportunity isn't for everyone doesn't mean people need to come on this site and bash AIL. This is not an easy job and it takes a lot of self discipline, self motivation and sacrifice. If someone doesn't possess those attributes then THEY WILL NOT MAKE IT!!! I'm an MGA for the company and I love what I do. I'm honest and up front with everyone I talk to. These comments ruin it for managers like me that are trying to build a team of honest, hard working people.

And your right for people like you life insurance isn't lucrative. But fortunately it is for me, maybe because I know how to sell it.

I see your comments on here all the time. Don't you have something better to do?

18th of Nov, 2008

Wow. I have been up, down, and around the internet for the last two hours checking up on American Income and I have to tell you, when it's 30 to 1 odds that you will find something bad on this company, it can't be a good sign. I recieved a call from them out of the blue earlier today and was told I had an interview. I am glad I decided to look them up. For one, I live pay check to pay check and don't have the money to even get started with them. Two, like most other corporations they lie, lie, lie to their employees. That is a huge reason I am looking for another job. I work with home depot and they treat their employees horrible. It's amazing the stuff these people can get away with. But there is another reason I am writing. Anyone can challenge me on this if they would like and I am sure you will. Truthfully I don't care though because I won't be back to read this. This is merely for the sake of the hard working American. Say you have a commision job and you work 65 hours a week but make only $5.50 an hour after it is all said and done (I live in CA where the minimum wage is $8.00/hr). YOUR EMPLOYER IS BREAKING THE LAW!!! You can contact the BBB or Labor Board and they will gladly sue the ### out of them and compensate you for your losses. An employer, no matter what you sign, no matter what your commission is has to at least pay you minimum wage for your work. If you work overtime, they have to pay you overtime (Unless you are paid a salary no less than 32, 000). They CANNOT make you put in the time and not pay you, NO MATTER WHAT!!! So, if you do work for this company in California and you are not making the commission but you are putting in the hours, they have to at least pay you for those hours, unless of course you are making more off the commission than you would minimum wage...even if it's only cents more. Don't forget to add your overtime. Anything over 40 hours is considered time and a half. Two, an employer HAS TO pay you 52 cents to the mile for any job related driving if the company does not insure your car under their own policy. If they are not, THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!! The reason I know all this is because I have had the opportunity of getting my hands on a CA Employers Handbook and have been to a few seminars on the laws and regulations on how employers must treat their employees. So, keep track of your hours people and the miles you put on your car between clients. Just a little heads up to help keep some of that money in your pocket. Oh, and as for not paying you for the training, well it sucks but they don't have to pay you. If you aren't on the books but you show up anyway, don't expect to get paid. That is your own fault. As long as their is no record of you being an employee, you are screwed when it comes to getting paid for the training. But, if you fill out a W4 and sign all the other crap that comes with getting hired onto a new job before the training and they still don't pay you, then THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!! Remember if they are doing any one of these three things contact the Labor Board or BBB, or both, and they will take care of the rest for you. It's sad to live in a world where every single job offer you get you have to look up and make sure it isn't a scam. I have had three job offers this week, and all three were scams. That's pretty sad. Whatever happened to being able to walk into a business and talking to people face to face? It was much simpler that way. If anyone wants to question my facts, look it up. You can find all of it here right on the internet. As for the other states, I am not so sure what the laws are on employee rights.

19th of Nov, 2008

You arent an employee of the compant, you're an independant contractor. Therefore, it's not AGAINST THE LAW!!

• De
      29th of Apr, 2009

I was suspicious about an unsolicited e-mail asking me to call a number because he had received my resume, I never sent one to them. I thought that perhaps, one of the recruiters sent my resume. His e-mail stated that he had a management position in his company, his signature looked to identify him as belonging to a recruiting agency, not an insurance company. Then during my call to him I was told that this person was in the 'corporate office' and that they would have one of the "hiring managers call me". A call from someone who identified themselves as a hiring manager with American Income Life Insurance seemed too much like a sales pitch. He claimed that the company was listed as one of the top 100 companies to work for on the Fortune 500 list and the #1 company to work for on Yahoo. I have not been able to verify this information. During our conversation I had already declined the invitation to interview, after reading these comments I am really glad that I followed my instincts.

• Uc
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I agree with most of these complaints I've read. I also received a strange phone call from a # I did'nt recognize, so I did'nt answer but instead attempted to call the # right back. No one anwered and there was no answering device to leave a message or at least find out who was trying to contact you. Instead, the caller left a message on my answering machine asking me to call them at a totally different #. I called that # to be greeted by a woman telling me that they viewed my resume on Career Builder's website and thought that I was perfect for what they were looking to hire. How they figure I was the right one I don't know. My resume indicates NOTHING about selling anything. My college degree says A.S. Private Investigations, not Insurance salesman. My interview is scheduled for today but thanks to your comments and complaints, that interview will be cancelled. Thanks again everybody.

• Kd
      16th of Aug, 2010

I worked for AIL. I can tell you things that would shock you. Some i am pretty sure is illegal. ok. i will start from the beginning.

I worked for AIL pittsburgh. When i was recruited I was told 1250 a week if i made enough for bonus. That never happened. When you go into the interview they say no cold calls, they supply fresh leads. Let me tell you about some of these leads. After 2 weeks of 12 hour days I got my lead pack. I had 80 "fresh" leads. I called my first 5 leads...each person told me the same thing. They all were just talked to 5 minutes ago or so by another associate from AIL and gave me their name. It was someone sitting 10 feet from me. After another 3 hours of calls I was chewed out a couple dozen times, hung up on a couple times and the rest were already talked to. Out of 80 FRESH leads. 30 were already talked too. 20 didnt answer. and the last ones sent the yellow card in 2 years ago and were policy holders that were lied to.

so then i worked off my referrals. That is the only business i had. The one man was charged more than the business i submitted.

Also while i was working there I was approached several times to take orals for fellow agents so they can submit their business on time. I refused, but people kept asking, do you smoke. oh can you do me a favor. Im pretty sure faking an oral and forging a signature is illegal.
    Then one lady i had didnt have a checking account. only a savings. So on the paperwork my boss put someone elses account info in the paperwork then wanted me to send in a change of account form to block the other account. When she wanted to pay cash but didnt have the money yet. They wanted me to pay for her, then cash the check she would later give.

My friend was getting screwed over bad. so he decides he had enough. Once they saw me talking to him they started to hound me. I would get a couple dozen texts daily from them knowing where ever i was. I would be in the office. right there, and i would be getting asked where i was. When i would leave early. i was weak and not 100 percent in.
    It was hell. do not waist the money there or your life. you never get it back. I worked 80 hours a week, and was still treated like crap. DOnt tell me i didnt work hard. I sold my soul to the company only to be told i couldnt go see my family and i was not committed to the job after i lost a family member to cancer.