American Family Insurance / Awful experience

United States Review updated:

October 2007, car was totaled in accident. Took 6 weeks of phone tag to clear up the claim, but it got done due to some hard work from our agent. Our agent took the info on the new car, and updated the records and ordered new cards so plates and registration could be transferred.

Shortly afterward, our agent stopped dealing with AF. We called AF directly, emailed, and called again. 'Please send us the policy on the new car so we can transfer plates.' After the 1st of 2008, we contacted the original agent. Within a day, we had all the info we needed to set things straight, with another reliable company.

Finally, in March of 2008, I got a letter from an agent in another town 18 miles away. It was a nice intro letter, welcome and all that. We finally were sent new insurance cards... on the vehicle that was totaled. I contacted the agent in the letter... and left a voice mail... several in fact. Polite ones, like... please call me, I have a question about a policy?

A few weeks later, I got a collection letter from a AF for insurance due on... you guessed it... the totaled car that AF had somewhere in it's inventory of scrap cars. SO, I called them. They told me I had to prove the car was totaled... (huh? they have those records, don't they?) and I was obligated tom pay the insurance payments from January to June. They had sent out cards for that car, remember?

I had them put disputed in the claim and asked them to verify their own records.
Va

Comments

Wi
  15th of Nov, 2008
I know someone who had full coverage insurance with American Family insurance. Their car was vandalized while sitting on a car repair shop's lot. The car repair shop did not have car insurance for their lot which is not required in the state of Missouri. When the owner of the car called the American Family Insurance to report that the car was involved in vandalism, the American Family claims adjuster failed and did not even bother to come out to the scene of the crime where the car was left sitting there on the parking lot of the car repair shop to photograph the car or view the surrounding area where the crime occurred.
That means, that they missed seeing the other cars in the parking lot that were also vandalized, the wooded fence and the wired fence that surrounded the lot and the other side of the car repair shop that was not fenced in.
Once American Family finally had the car was towed off of the lot where it was vandalized, and taken to another car repair shop for an estimate on the damages, American Family Insurance picked out just one thing to fix, and accused the owner of the car of having a collision that was not remembered and that is where the other damages came from in order to scam out of fixing all of the damages.

The only amount of money that American Family Insurance put out was less than $100.00. They also, hid the other damages from the car owner when speaking with the owner on the phone. Both American Family Insurance and the car repair shop told the owner that her car was ready and repaired ready to be picked up.
When the owner got there to pick the car up, only a portion of the damages were repaired while the other damages were left not repaired. Everyone in the American Family organization agreed to the first person, not anyone of them spoke up for the truth.
Scamming on their own clients...horrible insurance company they need to shut down...They did not even do a diagnostic test on the car after it was vandalized to determine all damages that occurred.

American Family Insurance Group Logo American Family Insurance Group