American Education Services / unprofessional, rude, clueless customer service

1 Harrisburg, PA, United States

AES is reporting that I was 60 days delinquent on my student loan, but my account was supposed to have been in forbearance since July 12, 2010. On that day, I called all of my student loan lenders to request a financial hardship forbearance in light of the fact that I was about to go on bed rest until my twin daughters arrived. I requested these forbearances verbally in all cases, and they were all processed properly except this one. Instead of processing my request, the person that I spoke with at AES put in the system that I requested a forbearance form. When I received notification that I was 60 days past due in October, I immediately called to find out what had happened. The young lady that I spoke to on October 12 informed me that the previous person had processed a form request instead of a forbearance request. She processed my verbal request right then and there, retroactive to July 26, 2010. I then filed a dispute with the credit bureaus so that AES could remove the erroneous information, but they verified it instead. I called AES this morning to ask them to remove the information. I spoke with a supervisor named Donna, who told me that I was lying about having spoken to a representative because the system said that I had requested a form through the automated process. Even though she could not explain what possible sense it made that I would have gone through the automated system when I could have spoken to a person and processed the forbearance immediately, she became very loud and belligerent with me and refused to remove the information from my credit report.

I do understand that a forbearance does not remove any negative credit history, HOWEVER if the forbearance request that I originally submitted had been processed as I requested, the account would have never gone into negative status. I have been meticulous about improving and maintaining my credit. I worked past my obstetrician’s recommended time in order to have enough saved to pay my bills while I was not working. I have no reason to lie, nor did I have any reason to choose sending back a form when I could verbally request a forbearance. The fact that every other lender that I contacted that day put my accounts in forbearance supports my statement. American Education Services is refusing to own up to their error and they are more interested in damaging my credit than in customer satisfaction. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission to this effect.