American Education Services [AES] Logo

American Education Services [AES]

Having problems with American Education Services [AES]?

1800 233 0557 (Customer Service)
+1 717 720 3100 (International)
1200 N. 7th St.
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

student loan scam

To the person who is obviously an employee of AES. Try blaming this one on me, instead of the scam going on...

Horrible Service

This company is horrible. I paid my student loans with ease for years!!! Then as soon as Uncle Sam got involved and decided the federal government could "help" me and handle the loans through a different provider the nightmare with this company began. First, it was general confusion. Now, paying from more than one machine is a hassle. All in all, it's an experience that used to be great with no stress that is just a massive aggravation. Aargh!!!

• Wy
    Wye Apr 03, 2012

Horrible company

• Na
    naylord1 Jul 02, 2013

This company has the worst customer services. Almost stalker like. They call even when they do not receive payment within the next day after it is due. I tell them on the phone when I can afford to pay them (usually my next paycheck). And even with me notifying them on when I send the payment they call everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times. I answer the next day they call and tell them what representative I talked to and when I will send the payment but they still keep calling. Day 3 past due I talk to them again telling them I have already spoken about the issue. They tell me that there is no way to stop them from calling everyday until they receive the payment. The representative tells me NOT TO ANSWER when they call and that they will keep calling everyday. And when i was unemployed forget about it I was going to turn off my phone lines. They do not even consider lowering my payment or here is a great idea why don't these companies spend their time and money trying to find people jobs. If they help find people jobs they would get their money a lot faster and easier. It does not make any sense.

This is the worst kind of customer service I have ever dealt with. My other student loan companies are NOWHERE near as bad. Sallie Mae is bad to an extent but they wont call until maybe 2 weeks past due and they actually listen to you when you tell them when the payment is coming.

So please do not ever take out private student loans because they will harass you and not let you get on your feet after college. All they want is your money. They rather have you homeless so they could get their money. They expect you to pay them before your pay your rent and utility bills. Ridiculous! I hope there is some way to pass legislation on the harassment these companies will do. I am not surprised they don't hire people to knock on doors to collect late payments. (Maybe because a lot of former college student cannot even afford their own apartment.

I hope people can read this and maybe we can start a petition.

lying

Recently, while working with Sallie Mae to bring my defaulted loans current they sold the loan to AES behind my back. When I called in tears to AES the heartless, nasty rep gave me an earful of what I recently investigated and learned were lies!!! The collection reps work on a commission so beware of there threats. I was told they are adding 19% interest to my loan plus penalties etc. according to federal regulations they should not charge more than 18.5%. She also insisted that I HAVE TO pay the minimum (astronomically high) minimum amount due. Again, according to regulation, a rehabilitating loan (which this is..unless I pay $75k within 3 weeks) BOTH parties are supposed to settle on a fair and AFFORDABLE monthly payment!!
MY ADVICE: Investigate your rights before signing any contracts with AES.

loan is supposed to be deferred!

Oddly enough, “aes” stands for american “education” services, and so you would “think” that their employees would at least be “educated” but I cannot understand why this simple issue has been going on for 6 months and yet, they just cannot understand simple english?
This is a college loan.
I am still in school.
It is supposed to be deferred until I graduate.
I am still in school, thus not yet graduated.
Per aes’s own rules, on the back of their own documents, that they keep sending to me every other week, threatening me with collection, they state that the school must supply enrollment status and information, not the student.
This information has been supplied to them by my advisor.
I have told them this - and even supplied her name and my school info to them (Which they obviously already had!), 5 times via email, and 4 times via postal mail.
They have called my home and harassed me and my family 47 times, calling at all hours of the day and night.
I have put a “do not call” request in writing twice to them.
I have told them not to call verbally.
I have even written to them, explained all of this clearly, and even included text boxes for them to put simple answers for any questions that they might have as to why on earth they might still find the need to call me - instead of calling my school/advisor to verify my information!
But, today, despite all of this, I received another threatening letter and a new bill!
There is something very wrong with these people. They do not understand english. Oh, wait, that is them on the phone again…. Make that 48 times!

Tiffany Moon Mar 20, 2012

There is 1246.45 dollars that has vanished in cyber space or has been embezzled from a refund transaction from my student loan company (American Education Services). I accidentally made an over payment on my student loan account in February through my TD Bank bill pay service. I made an error by paying my mortgage payment (Arora Loan Services) in the amount of 1434.00 and some change to my student loan (American Education Services) - as you can see they both star with "A" and are right next to each other in the Bill pay service. I discovered the error a week after I had made it and contacted my bank (TD Bank) to see how I could get it fixed. My bank told me that I would have to get a refund issued from American Education Services (AES). So I called AES to request a refund. After getting the ring around and speaking to several reps - they finally told me I would have to request a letter from TD Bank stating an error was made and that a refund needed to be issued. I went back to the Bank and got the letter and faxed it over to AES. AES told me that it would take 5-7 business days to receive the refund. A week went bye and no refund was issued. I then called my bank to track the refund. The bank had no record of such refund. I called AES back and they state that the refund was issued electronically to "Citi Bank Home Access" where the original overpayment came from. AES states that Citi Bank Home Access is TD Banks 3rd party bill pay service. I went into the TD Bank branch to speak to a representative. The rep at TD Bank made several phone calls to try and track this refund in the amount of 1246.45 (which AES states they refunded to me back on 3/8/12). The rep was not getting any answers and was being told by TD Bank corporate office that they have no affiliation with Citi Bank Home Access and that is definately not their 3rd party bill pay company. The rep even got on the phone with the Manager (Keith) at AES and he kept telling my bank Rep that the refund was issued on 3/8/12 to Citi Bank Home Access and that we needed to contact them to find out where the payment is at. The rep from my bank told him several times that there was an error and that the refund was not issued to my account. If it was done electronically it would have hit my account instantly. The AES Manager then claims that it would take 3-7 weeks... WHAT??? The bank rep got very suspicious and started asking for phone numbers and mailing addresses to where the refund was issued and the AES Manager could not give him that info. AES refused to trace the transaction. TD Bank has put in a claim (#93317) to try and investigate it. I have since then filed a claim with the BBB on AES. I have also went online to find that I am not the only one having fraud issues with American Education Services. There are several recent stories online with a similar twist of money missing.. or not being applied to the persons account. There is some type of fraud going on here.. and to date my refund of $1246.45 is no where to be found.

miss applying payments

I have 2 loans, made in different years, with these idiots. I have been making payments thru my banks bill pay referencing the loans as SEQ 1 and SEQ 2 as the idiot at the AES call center told me to. Up until this year (2012) they have been being applied correctly to the proper account. THIS YEAR they are not being applied to the specified account. The IDIOT at the AES call center said that for the payments to be properly applied I have to use their payment section from the web site - which wants my bank account number, routing number and other info that will make it easier for them to take money without permission.
What can be done about this crap??? this is only going to make it easier for me to default by them jacking with my payments. HELP!!!

student loan buyout

American education services calls me from multiple numbers on a daily basis trying to collect my debt. My mother paid to get my loans current so I could again enter deferment or forbearance and had them send the form in the mail. The company still has not sent the forms and it has been about three weeks. When they call and I feel like being harassed about not having a job in this economy, I answer and repeat the aforementioned payment they ask for an additional payment. I tell them they need to send the forms if they haven't already and still no forms. Aes bought my loan from gmac (Gmc-the car company's student loan agency) and changed my interest rates, capitalization, among others. My loan skyrocketed from around $42, 000-$46, 000 to about $69, 000 with the interest they capitalize every quarter.in addition, I was not notified the company would take interest on top of my interest already accruing whilst in forbearance.in january I will be able to make my first actual payment but I will never get out of their high interest rates adding over a third to my loan. There must be some legislation, laws, something to go back on them for these predatory lending practices.

this company is terrible!

I originally had three student loans with american education services. I recently consolidated two of them with a different company. When that company sent over payment for the loans apparently they sent the wrong amount and were short approx. $20. I was not notified of this. I made my monthly student loan payment in full expecting the payment to be made to the one loan I still had with aes. Aes took my payment and split it between the three loans to cover the balance left behind from the consolidation which I did not know about or approve. The following monday they listed my account as delinquent and began calling me, my co-signer and my references trying to collect the past due amount when I had paid them the full amount due. I have since emailed them five times and called them three times in attempt to remedy the situation. Each time I am met with conflict. They are rude and condescending. They harass me and hang up on me. They continue to call and harass me and they refuse to remove the delinquent status from my account until they reapply the payment that they screwed up in the first place. This is 100% their mistake yet I am somehow the one being harassed. Delinquent by definition means past due or overdue. This does not define my account status since I paid them the full agreed upon amount. They applied my money to the wrong loan without my consent or approval. Not only is that misappropriation on their part but the fact that they call me several times daily to harass me about a bill I paid is illegal. Misappropriation and harassment. I want it to stop.

unethical

Since AES purchased my student loan from my former provider, I have been charged additional fees of $3500.00...

fraud/incompetence

Do not do business with this shady company. The first payment my husband sent AES was over $1800 to cover the interest that would be rolled into the principal if we didn't pay it. Well, we made the check out to them, mailed it to them in their envelope, and the check was cashed, but they never posted it to the account. So for five months we have been out the $1800 and the interest got rolled into the principal, making the payments larger. The company has been completely incompetent in dealing with it. Repeated phone calls and faxes have led absolutely nowhere, and even though our bank is trying to assist, AES is stonewalling. All we get is a semi-literate customer service rep on the phone saying "we didn't get your check, " so it's not our problem. Our bank did a pipeline search for the money, which AES was supposed to complete. Again, just a phone call from someone who knows nothing saying "we didn't get it." No paper trail? No letter? No phone call from someone who makes more than $8/hr.?
They are forcing our bank to spend more resources to trace the cashed check, and I would bet the whole lot that it turns out to be within their organization, albeit in the wrong account. Although it also wouldn't surprise me if one of their employees stole it.

Tiffany Moon Mar 16, 2012

WOW! I am going through the exact same thing right now. I made an over payment on my AES account accidently through my TD Bank bill payment online system. I paid my mortgage payment to AES accidently (they both start with "A") and I have went through hell getting a refund from AES. I faxed a letter to AES from my bank requesting the refund. 2 weeks later AES agrees to refund me after I had called them a dozen times. AES states they refuned my bank account electronically on 3/8/12 in the amount of 1200 dollars and some change... The money has still not showed up in my account. AES refueses do do a trace on the transaction. TD bank is researching the transaction and can not find any record of this refund. Someone at AES is stealling money - the 1200 dollar is no where.. AES claims it was refunded to Citi Bank Home Access. I dont have any accounts with Citi Bank Home Access nor does my bank where I house my checking account. This is fraud!!! I filed a BBB complaint.. but this needs a major investigation!

misinformation and negligence

I was delinquent on my student loan from AES. I received an email stating if I did not catch up, they would report me to collections. I called them up and asked the minimum amount to pay to stay out of collections, and they said $180. Sure, no problem, I paid it. A week later I get another call and email that I am behind and about to go to collections. I called them back to make sure it wasn't just a delay in the system, and they stated that the total amount needed to be paid was $600~ not $180. I didn't have the money for that, so the guy recommended I file for verbal forbearance. I agreed, and did the entire phone authorization, answering questions and agreeing to begin repaying on a certain date. He said I'd be good to go but I still might get a call for a few days, and possibly another letter in the mail, until the system catches up. Roughly two weeks later I get a letter from a collection agency saying I owed them money for AES. I immediately call up AES and they tell me there is nothing in the system about a forbearance request. I told her the original date I called and made the $180, then how I had called up again and did the forbearance. She insisted I did not, so I told her, "you record conversations, look it up". She said she saw that I had called in the system, and transfered me to a supposed manager. The manager said that the guy took down the forbearance information but never actually COMPLETED it. She apologized and said that if I quickly (it was a Friday) went to the site and filled out the form in the account area, she would personally deal with it and make sure it was removed from collections. I filled it out and a week later, a call came in from collections stating I owed money and they were going to garnish my wages. The lady at the agency told me the lady never did anything and NEVER to do verbal forbearance because these companies pull this ### all the time. Yes, calls are recorded, but that it's their word, as a lender, verse mine. Needless to say, there needs to be a class action lawsuit against AES, as they willingly are negligent and [censored] over peoples credit to get their money back.

fails to return overpayments

I recently had a conversation with an AES supervisor about the payoff of my law school loans. She gave me a final payoff figure that corresponded to the amount of the final payment due if my electronic bank transfer was completed in two days. I told her that I would have my bank do the transfer that very day. I asked her what happens if AES receives and processes my final payment a day early. How would my overpayment be handled? She told me that if the overpayment is more than $5.00, I would receive a reimbursement check from AES. But, if the overpayment is less than $5.00, AES would keep it.

If anyone has had this experience, I would very much like to talk with you. I am a class action attorney in California investigating claims against the company.

• Good Luck. Let me know how that works out for you. :)

Angelscopilot Jan 20, 2012

let us do a class action against AES. I will filed the motion. in Florida.

Angelscopilot Jan 20, 2012

if you read all the comments about the company you will definitely you will have a lot of people for the class action. count me in.

Tiffany Moon Mar 20, 2012

There is 1246.45 dollars that has vanished in cyber space or has been embezzled from a refund transaction from my student loan company (American Education Services). I accidentally made an over payment on my student loan account in February through my TD Bank bill pay service. I made an error by paying my mortgage payment (Arora Loan Services) in the amount of 1434.00 and some change to my student loan (American Education Services) - as you can see they both star with "A" and are right next to each other in the Bill pay service. I discovered the error a week after I had made it and contacted my bank (TD Bank) to see how I could get it fixed. My bank told me that I would have to get a refund issued from American Education Services (AES). So I called AES to request a refund. After getting the ring around and speaking to several reps - they finally told me I would have to request a letter from TD Bank stating an error was made and that a refund needed to be issued. I went back to the Bank and got the letter and faxed it over to AES. AES told me that it would take 5-7 business days to receive the refund. A week went bye and no refund was issued. I then called my bank to track the refund. The bank had no record of such refund. I called AES back and they state that the refund was issued electronically to "Citi Bank Home Access" where the original overpayment came from. AES states that Citi Bank Home Access is TD Banks 3rd party bill pay service. I went into the TD Bank branch to speak to a representative. The rep at TD Bank made several phone calls to try and track this refund in the amount of 1246.45 (which AES states they refunded to me back on 3/8/12). The rep was not getting any answers and was being told by TD Bank corporate office that they have no affiliation with Citi Bank Home Access and that is definately not their 3rd party bill pay company. The rep even got on the phone with the Manager (Keith) at AES and he kept telling my bank Rep that the refund was issued on 3/8/12 to Citi Bank Home Access and that we needed to contact them to find out where the payment is at. The rep from my bank told him several times that there was an error and that the refund was not issued to my account. If it was done electronically it would have hit my account instantly. The AES Manager then claims that it would take 3-7 weeks... WHAT??? The bank rep got very suspicious and started asking for phone numbers and mailing addresses to where the refund was issued and the AES Manager could not give him that info. AES refused to trace the transaction. TD Bank has put in a claim to try and investigate it. I have since then filed a claim with the BBB on AES. I have also went online to find that I am not the only one having fraud issues with American Education Services. There are several recent stories online with a similar twist of money missing.. or not being applied to the persons account. There is some type of fraud going on here.. and to date my refund of $1246.45 is no where to be found.

complaining at others for there stupidity

Please help me understand why you humans, that we call people go to college. I mean seriously, you take out loans, you obviously do not read what you are signing for then, years later you # and complain. Like seriously, what the hell are you people complaining for? Like give me a break, do you understand the initials of "aes"? It stands for american education services! Meaning, when you take out a loan through the bank, that contract, that non-negotiable contract that you signed for the bank, is what aes does. Aes must abide by the contract you signed. They do not own the loan. They service!!! They handle the dirty work for the bank. So if you are having a tough time supporting yourself, and your loan doesn't offer anything. Its not aes' fault. When your loan doesn't offer help. It is not aes fault. When you are receiving phone calls about your delinquency status or your cosigner that's 50+, its not us harrassing, its the agreement that you and your cosigner must follow. They have a right to know if the account is past due or not. Why? Because if you do not make the payment it effects both parties.. How about you not ask your grandparents to help, then they won't get calls when you become late. As for a college loan, seriously, there like 10+ yr terms. So with that long as term your princ may increase, depending if you defer your payments. Interest accrues, & it caps... Depending on the type of loan, you either get a fixed rate, normally with govt issued loans, or a private, its going to change either monthly or quarterly, and normally they are based on the economy. Anytime that you make your payments interest accrues daily. So tip of the day, make your payments every 30 days or less to sat the interest. & by the contract of your p-note. Aes or any other servicer do not have to send out bills. Its a courtesy reminder. However once you start paying and you send in a check, you obviously know when your freakin money is due. So no # about I didn't get a bill. Normal payments that are due monthly is normally due on the same date of each month. Hope you learn something, #s from college!

studnet loans

American Education Services is the worst student loan company anywhere! I have $80, 000 in student loans between Direct Loans and Express Loans. I recently consolidated all of my loans with Direct Loans. Direct Loans paid off Express Loans and sent them a check for the amount I owed them. However, Express loans sold my loan to American Express Services in the middle of my consolidation. AES received my loan AND the pay off check from Express Loans via Direct Loans. Despite AES having the check they continued to try and collect over $300 a month from me in student loans. After numerous phone calls to AES someone over there finally made the connection that they had received a check from Direct Loans paying off the balance and said I did not owe anything further. I thought it was over until I began getting threatening letters from AES stating I now owed an addition $78 claiming the pay off amount wasn’t enough to cover the balance. I fought with AES supervisors over the phone for weeks and finally conceded out of sheer stress and frustration to pay the remainder. I called AES again to confirm that if I paid the $78 I would not receive another bill for interest accrued or anything else. They not only agreed that would be the end it but emailed me this information as well. Last week I received another letter from AES saying I owed about $13.00 and a threat to report it to my credit saying my account is 56 days delinquent! Are you kidding me?? I went to the online account and it shows I owe $95 dollars but my total student loans with AES are .13 cents. .13 CENTS! You do the math! What is wrong with these people?? What is wrong with their billing system?! I feel they are holding me hostage with this nickel and diming because they continue to threaten my credit and I have no choice but to pay. Oh and here is the icing on the cake….I have been complaining to Direct Loans about AES and they sent an additional check to AES for the $78, that I had already paid. So not only did they get my money, they got paid again by Direct Loans and they are continuing to harass me over these new small balances that I DO NOT OWE!

• Co
    Concorde owner Apr 14, 2011

Same Issue with ASC on a 2000 Chrysler concorde. I suggest you cancel the warranty and get back the rest of the money.

• There is no 'warranty' on student loans. This happens majority of the time when Direct Loans receives an LVC (loan verification certificate) and expected payoff amount. By the time the send the monies, the date has past of the previously adjusted payoff amount, there additional monies is owed and there is an underpayment. No fault of AES. Just a matter of timing between monies being sent between companies. It has to be nickel and diming. If they allowed every student to get away with even as little as a .1 on each millions of accounts they have, that adds up to a crap load of money on which falls on them to pay to the lenders, therefore losing millions of dollars. Its the way of business.

shady business practices

My student loan was moved to AES after the company I originally borrowed from, Student Loan Xpress, went out...

billing

Do not obtain a student loan through this company. The employees are all rude. If you are one hour late with a payment they start houding you with phone calls. I am on maternity leave and unemployed collecting no income and they refuse to defer my payments. The lady I spoke with on the phone screamed at me and threatened me with collection notices and phone calls if I miss one payment. This company is not worth the hassle or money. I would have rather worked at mcdonalds and saved money for college then taken a loan out with them. They are scam artists!

Mark84712 Mar 19, 2011

I've. Made payments three separate times and each time they claimed they never received my payment and make me fax proof from my bank...then after hours of being accused of being incompetent they credit my account! Garbage company!

• Ka
    Katie79 Jun 13, 2012

I've had a problem with their online payment system--I submitted a payment and it was never debited from my account. This happened at least twice. I received the blame for it and they were unconscionable in how they treated my inquiry over the phone. They never exhibited any compassion or understanding for how something like that could happen, and they weren't at all friendly. In fact, the girl I talked with wouldn't even let me start talking, she just launched into a spiel about my late payment and how this or that awful thing would happen like docking my pay by up to 15% if I didn't pay the bill (I had just paid it online). I feel like it will take me another 30 years to payoff this loan since 2/3rds of every payment goes to interest!!!

• Fe
    fed up with AES Feb 22, 2013

Extremely rude and inconsiderate. Your house could burn down with everyone and everything in it, you better believe they will dig your grave and ask where there money is. THIS COMPANY HAS NO REGARD FOR ITS CUSTOMERS...GARBAGE!!! If I could sue them for harrassment I would.

unethical business practices

I consolidated my student loans through a company called ISM which sold my loans or was taken over by AES, not sure which. Once mine and my husbands loans were through AES it has been a living hell. First, I was eligible for interest rate discounts through ISM which AES said they would honor. The 2nd month they had my loans they sent me a letter saying I wasn't eligible for the discount because I was late. I had direct debit out of the account but had to make 1 payment by check during the change over. They said that was the payment that was late even though they had only given me 10 days notice that I would need to make a payment that month instead of direct debit. After filing an appeal & losing I sent a certified letter in writing. Finally, I received my discount back. Another issue, AES refuses to send me paper statements. They say because I have the direct debit they will not send me paper statements. So after 6 months w/ them I went online to check my balance, since I always pay extra I was expecting to see a dent. Boy was I surprised to see that I had paid off about $5.00 w/ my $295 a month payment! I again called and was told that anything extra I paid went to interest not the principal even though I'm on a standard repayment plan, no graduated plans, no interest only for the first 3 years, nothing. My original loan balance was $37, 000, it's going to take me 20 years to pay it back at $295 a month w/ an interest rate of 5.625%. Does this make sense to anyone? Fast forward 2 years. My husband's loans are now reaching the 24 months of on time payments mark. The month the interest rate was due to drop I received a letter in the mail saying we had not made our full payment last month so the interest rate deduction was gone. I looked at the bill, minimum payment due was $53, looked at my check book, I had paid $75. Called the company, they told me that if I looked at the spot on the bill where the different loans I had consolidated were broken up I would see that the amount due on each loan had gone up to equal $92 a month. When I asked why my bill wouldn't reflect this as the "amount due" I was told because I have the option to only pay interest, which was the $53 and I should always look at the amount due on each individual loan to ensure that I am paying the right amount if I want to keep my discounts. WHAT?! After another 6 months of phone calls, appeals, & certified letters I finally received the rate reduction back. It has been awful. I have been looking for another company but I'm finding that once you have consolidated once it's extremely hard to switch through another company. My advice, don't get a loan from AES ever!

negative note on my credit reports

I am a cosigner for my daughter's student loan. She decided to return to school to obtain her BSN. My...

ft medical student - in repayment?

So - I am one of the poor souls who must deal with aes. I took a private loan when starting medical school with "my rich uncle" managed by aes. I am now in clinical rotations. You know - the part where as a medical student, one works long hours with no pay - and apparently, aes does not believe that I am still a full time student. Funny - because my status definitely will not change for the full 4 years of doctoral work - and then there's residency to consider. I have insisted that my college financial aid office correspond with aes to resolve this issue - after many failed attempts of my own. However, I continue to be in "repayment." I have lost my low interest rate - and can't bear to look at my credit report - which until this incident - has been flawless. I guess that's one way to make sure they, the lender, get repayment priority - but it is in fact - an appalling dis-service. I wonder how many student borrower suicides can be traced back to aes? I won't be one - but there are those who would break under this pressure.

incompetent/ unprofessional

i have done everything in my power to assist these people in correcting the problems they have caused with my accounts. i have two loans each requiring a $25.00. i send them a check for $50. or more every month. they will post the entire amt. to one account and let the other become delinquet and will harass me to death until i spend 20 minutes or so pointing this out. then they proceede to blame me for not breaking my payment into two checks. by the way when i call their recording asks for my account number 'which is located in the upper right hand corner of AA american education correspondence', in fact it is in the LOWER LEFT hand corner and is couched by three other set of numbers none of which is identified as the account number. to address the payment issue i have asked them to send one bill showing both amounts due and/or to send my billing for both accounts on the same day . that didn't work...they just went on doing the same thing. then i put them on auto pay from my checking account. every one of these attempts to satisfy them has required numerous requests before they will actually move. the first month of autopay they sent me their monthly past due letter. thinking that it was still in the works i sent out a check. then they took out 2 payments each per account. they were authorized draws of $25.00 each but took $50.00 twice anyway. i am on social security and this activity nearly overdrew my account and left me seriously without funds for the remainder of the month. to get my money back i went to the bank and stopped pay on the next months payment only. the aes. spokesperson said that they would cancel their witholding for the following month [and of course didn't]. what actually happened...they stopped one withdrawal and took the other one. they have never reactivated their right to begin payment on the one account and we are back to one auto pay and one check per month. when i inquired about this they told me that their computer says that they attempted to draw and there was no money. as i over pay them as many months as not i can never understand why they continue to send me notices of late payments or not enough funds to cover my payment. i have never to my knowledge been current in their estimation. constantly though my payments are an even $25.00 i will get notices saying that i owe odd amounts. in the latest case i thought i was current and they told me i owed a payment of $34.00. they can never tell me why this is. without exaggeration i can state that over the years i have had to make monthly calls and that i have logged the equivelent of 2 full time work weeks addressing issues that they create. recently i asked for a payment history and found on it 3 instances where they have applied whole payments to interest with only a dollar going to principal and of course a dollar more for late fees!!! never in my life have i ever encountered any business entity that was as bad as these people. i have gotten plenty rough verbally with them over time and one of them even took to yelling at me telling me i was obligated to send two checks [one per account]. telling me that since there payments are credited by machine that my obligation to them was not met with one check for both accounts. anyone wishing to use these people to fund their college education is correct in the assumption that it will take a masters degree to figure out what they are doing and how much to pay. illicit drug sales or robbery would be less hazardous to a persons good name than dealing with these ignorant SOB's. exhaust ALL avenues of options before taking a loan with these people. seriously!!!

unprofessional, rude, clueless customer service

AES is reporting that I was 60 days delinquent on my student loan, but my account was supposed to have been in forbearance since July 12, 2010. On that day, I called all of my student loan lenders to request a financial hardship forbearance in light of the fact that I was about to go on bed rest until my twin daughters arrived. I requested these forbearances verbally in all cases, and they were all processed properly except this one. Instead of processing my request, the person that I spoke with at AES put in the system that I requested a forbearance form. When I received notification that I was 60 days past due in October, I immediately called to find out what had happened. The young lady that I spoke to on October 12 informed me that the previous person had processed a form request instead of a forbearance request. She processed my verbal request right then and there, retroactive to July 26, 2010. I then filed a dispute with the credit bureaus so that AES could remove the erroneous information, but they verified it instead. I called AES this morning to ask them to remove the information. I spoke with a supervisor named Donna, who told me that I was lying about having spoken to a representative because the system said that I had requested a form through the automated process. Even though she could not explain what possible sense it made that I would have gone through the automated system when I could have spoken to a person and processed the forbearance immediately, she became very loud and belligerent with me and refused to remove the information from my credit report.

I do understand that a forbearance does not remove any negative credit history, HOWEVER if the forbearance request that I originally submitted had been processed as I requested, the account would have never gone into negative status. I have been meticulous about improving and maintaining my credit. I worked past my obstetrician’s recommended time in order to have enough saved to pay my bills while I was not working. I have no reason to lie, nor did I have any reason to choose sending back a form when I could verbally request a forbearance. The fact that every other lender that I contacted that day put my accounts in forbearance supports my statement. American Education Services is refusing to own up to their error and they are more interested in damaging my credit than in customer satisfaction. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission to this effect.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices