American Automobile Association / AAA.com / roadside assistance tow truck driver towed fw drive from the rear

Heathrow, FL, United States Review updated:

On June 30 Heavy Duty Towing and Recovery was called out by AAA to tow Classic 1976 GMC motorhome. 3 1/2 hrs later he called and said that he was 15-20 min out and to take an uber and he would tow the RV within the hour. We were told by AAA that a flatbed was coming out. When the RV arrived 11 hours later, the tow was pulling the front wheel drive from the rear. He refused to move it into the driveway. Police came out and he was allowed to dump it in the street (no parking side). He told the police that he had to stop on the road, because the brakes were on fire. It took him 11 hours to tow it 48 miles. He told the police that the RV wouldn't start, then recanted and said that the RV was running the flashers.

We were able to change out the battery and drove it 50' into a driveway, where it sat until yesterday when it was towed to a transmission place. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't tow a 5 ton GMC motorhome front wheel drive (in park) from the rear. Bumper is bent, plumbing sheared off, front tires scorched and front wheel brakes??? Estimate to fix the transmission alone is $2800. Picture of RV on the flatbed going to transmission shop. Second picture taken a day before towed.

American Automobile Association / AAA.com
American Automobile Association / AAA.com

• Updated by C Shoff, Jul 28, 2017

AAA is a regional company. My AAA is in Texas. My GMC broke down in Illinois. Texas has a great AAA club and any momentum that I have had is a result of Randall Peoples and Michelle Murillo, Texas AAA Member services. They have followed up with their management and have communicated back to me. Don't tar all of AAA with the same brush, because not all AAA clubs are like this.
    I just want to get home. I have been stranded today marks a month. Heavy Duty Towing towed my GMC motorhome from the rear. He damaged my GMC. AAA is the conduit to getting it fixed. I pray that they do so and thank you all for your support.

Cs
Jul 18, 2017

Comments

• Aa
      Jul 26, 2017

Thank you for sharing this. I will keep searching for different tow insurance and I hope you can get your GMC repaired.

• Ga
      Jul 27, 2017

Am watching to see how this is resolved

• Ri
      Jul 27, 2017

We were just getting ready to switch to AAA for our coverage, but now after seeing how one of our fellow GMC'ers are being treated I'm waiting & watching!!!

• Mt
      Aug 01, 2017

@Rita Rutherford-Hartmann I worked at AAA Southern California/TX/Arizona/New Mexico's call center. We quickly learned that our service to RV's and heavy trucks was awful. We dreaded getting one of those calls because we knew we would have to lie to you, or worse, be on the receiving end of your second call after you've found out the last person lied to you about service to expect.

• Cs
      Aug 01, 2017

@Mtroy ss I had AAA when I lived in Encinitas. GREAT AAA club. Never towed a motorhome, but have towed my 1951 Isetta to get the tire fixed. You would have loved seeing it on the flatbed- so cute. Texas AAA is one of the best clubs. I really do think they care. Illinois ----not so much.

• He
      Jul 27, 2017

This is my mom's vehicle. She is beyond upset. I have seen her cry more in the past month than I have in years. I'm a AAA member as well and I'm going to cancel my plan as soon as this whole ordeal is over... AAA, fix this!!!