Allegiant Airlines / carry on luggage

1 St Pete, FL, United States Review updated:

WARNING ABOUT CARRY ON LUGGAGE!!!
If you would like to take a flight on the worst airline out there, consider Allegiant Airlines. They are known for their cheap flights, however if you have problems, they are definitely not small in nature. I understand with economic problems, that airlines have cut down their employees, however Allegiant literally only has 5 employees working at each departure. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot was the one checking my bags! We took a piece of CARRY ON LUGGAGE on our flight from St. Pete to Lexington, only to discover that it would not fit in their smaller-than-normal overhead bins. Previously, the check in attendant looked at the size and said that it would be fine. Since the two attendants/check-in/pilot workers decided to board the plane from both the front and the back at the same time, there was also no room in the overhead bins and people were blocking all the aisles and getting very agitated. The attendant said that they would put the luggage under the plane and it would be at the baggage claim, needless to say we were worried. And rightfully so, it was definitely not at the baggage claim and to make it worse, NO employees were at their gate to help! There were numerous other people there as well, missing luggage. After 45 MINUTES of waiting (the 2 employees were out prepping the plane), we finally spoke to the flight attendant who we had originally handed the luggage to. She said she accidentally put it back on the plane and it was headed back to St. Pete. Keep in mind, this had our toiletries and all of our CARRY ON ITEMS that we desperately needed for our vacation!!! They said that we would have to call St. Pete, so 3 days later they overnighted our CARRY ON LUGGAGE back to us, only for us to discover that they STOLE some DVD's from us, and broke our cell phone charger. We are still trying to get some sort of compensation from this ridiculous airline! PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE!!!
Luckily, I had put my medication and things for my child in my other carry on luggage, or I don't know what I would've done. Do not trade in a cheap airfare for the important things that you absolutely need for your vacation - it is SO not worth it!!!

Jb

Comments

• Co
      10th of Dec, 2010

Just to make sure things would go ok, I took my bag to the airport to verify that the size was ok. It passed their inspections and the wife and flew to Vegas with no issues. All we had were carry ons. - trying to leave vegas is another story. Got to the counter and the agent said the bag was too big. I told her that I got on the plane from home, bag fits in overhead no problem and it still had the pink sticker they used to verify it. the agent rips off the sticker and says I'll have to pay $35. I tell her I want to speak to a supervisor and she tells me bag is too big. (bag is exactly 22x14x9 but it has the handle and wheels as every bag does and this is what they are measuring to say mines too big. ) she says pay the fee or bag doesn't go. I pay the fine which IMO amounts to extortion.

Write a letter and I get a call from the customer service center. Lady on phone says that she can see the notes and that both agents in vegas said the same thing (bag too big) and she is not going to go against them. Then she tells me "you know how this is going to end". Needless to say, I didn't get my refund, but I gave her one last send off too.

Will never fly this airline again and told her that I would be telling all my friends, who BTW fly on average 9 times a year never to use this airline. 2 have changed their plans to use different airlines, so my $35 has already cost them several hundred dollars in revenue.

• Dr
      9th of Jun, 2011

Had the same problem as well. At one airport they say everything is ok, then try and get back and now you have to pay. Never fly this airline again.