Air Asia / no service at all

1 Philippines Review updated:

My parents were suppose to travel from Manila to their hometown, Surabaya with Air Asia on Dec 6, 2008. This requires 2 flights, 1 from Clark(Manila) to KL, and 2 from KL to Surabaya. Both of them are in their 70's and my Mom has limited mobility and needed a wheelchair. So we tried to call Air Asia to ask for a wheelchair, but after being put on hold for 1 hour, the call center agent just told us that that's not part of their job, and we have to request for wheelchair with the airport.
So of course we requested in Clark (Manila) without problems. But it turns out their flight was delayed for more that 3 hours. The flight was suppose to be 11:45 arriving in KL at 15:40. Instead it departed at 15:00. Naturally, they try to follow up with Air Asia staff, since they are very concern about their connecting flight to Surabaya, which we already scheduled more than 3 hours apart at 19:00. But of course their answer is, there's nothing we can do, we are a point to point service. Which seems to be their mantra.

Still they arrive late in KL, and miss their connecting flight to Surabaya. As if that's not bad enough, the wheelchair they requested was not there in KL airport. The funny thing is, the flight attendant told my Mom during the flight that she should wait for her wheelchair when they arrive, so they do have a record of wheelchair request. That flight attendant has since conveniently left them alone in the airplane still waiting for more than 30 mins for a wheelchair. So after many phone reluctant phone calls, somebody finally got a wheelchair, but they insist they were not notify for it. And then the guy who pushed the wheelchair had the audacity to ask for more tip when they were leaving the airport. My dad did gave him some tip, but he said it's not enough. A far cry from Philippines staff in Clark who even refuse a tip and even help my Dad load and unload his bags in the Clark Airport.

Finally they got out of the aircraft, and pick up their bags, no one was there to help my elderly parents to carry their heavy bags around this airport to try to get their next flight to surabaya. Air Asia refuse to take any responsibility for the missing flight to Surabaya, they insist they are a point to point carrier and not responsible for any missed flights due to their delayed flights.

My parents has to go around counter to counter, and finally found a flight the next morning at 10am. They then take a taxi to find a hotel and pay for hotels and taxi with their own expense, without any help or even advise from Air Asia.

The next day, not wanting to miss their flight to Surabaya, they arrive early at 7AM. There was a long line at the check in counter, after waited in line for 2 hours, the person in the counter told my dad he was lining up at the wrong counter, he's supposed to go to the same counter he went to the night before, so carrying all his heavy bags, and my Mom in a wheelchair, he found that counter, where the person there directed him to go back to the first counter he went to. By the time he got there, the person in that counter told him he's too late, and the flight is full. So after being sent back and forth my parents was finally able to take the flight to Surabaya with this 10AM flight.

But my Dad, who has a heart condition was so tired from running around their airport with the bags that when he tried to sit down, he fell from his seat. What if he had a heart attack there, should Air Asia be responsible for this? What kind of policy do you have, that you don't take responsibility for your 3.5 hours delay? And what kind of staff you hired, that don't understand the meaning of customer service or even have a shred of compassion for this stranded elderly couple?

Never again would I ever fly Air Asia. Just because you're cheap doesn't mean you have a right to treat people this way.

Ap

Comments

• Ax
      25th of Aug, 2014

We have had the same experience with their website and they also requested us to pay over 120US$ to change the departure time although we called them within 5mins of having confirmed the flight.
    Due to the mistake in the departure time my wife and child were forced to stay in Malaysia overnight which cost us another 50US$.
    The next day they flew out to Bandung in Indonesia.
    When they arrived in Bandung the trolley had been stolen.
    After more than two weeks and having to call them ourselves many times they confirmed the trolley was lost.
    They offered to compensate only half the value of our brand new trolley.
    Despite having subscribed to an ADDITIONAL insurance provided by Air Asia at aditional cost to cover lost luggages.
    Not to mention all the problems caused to my wife who had to carry around three luggages and our kid in her arms for days!
    This Airline s the worst ever service support.
    When we called them they requested us to call Malaysia giving us unreachable numbers.
    Then they asked us to call Thailand despite my wife being actually in Indonesia!
    This company is very poorly managed and they have absolutely NO RRESPECT for their customers.
    I strongly recommend you NOT TO USE THIS AIRLINE!!!
    Trying to save some $ we ended losing tremendously and suffering serious personal difficulties which NO ONE cared much about.
    This AIrline is an OUTRAGE!!!