Afni Collections / Fraudulent collections!

FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-352-0479
I received TWO collection letters from Afni Collections for Cingular, stating two different amounts. I have NEVER had a Cingular Cellphone in my name, yet the ignorant fellow that I spoke with claimed that I this phone and paid on it from 1999 to 2003. He asked if I knew a person whose name I did not know and associated me with an address I never lived at, but knew my entire Social Security number. I told him that I would not pay the bill and he asked if this was how I handle all my debts.

As I said I have NEVER had a Cingular phone in my name nor did I pay for such phone ever.

Comments

Je
  27th of Apr, 2008
Afni Collections - they apparently are a bad debt junk dealer. They buy bad debt from companies like Verizon. The debt is beyond the time period that they are legally allowed to collect such debt in most states.

I was sent a bill for someone with the same name as mine, and they somehow how my ss attached to this person incorrectly. I tried to call and get this straighted out to no avail. They scream at me, told me I was a liar and a cheat for not paying my bills- pretty unbelievable if you ask me.

They claimed I owed thousands of dollars. I did research for my state on debt collection and found that in PA there is a 4 year limitation on any type of utility debt and that all I had to do was tell them that. If they tried to contact me further for this fraudulant charge they could actually be charged $1000 fine under the fair reporting credit act. I sent them a certified letter telling them this and the debt was removed from my credit reports, I was sent a letter stating they canceled the debt entirely and would not contact me further.

To make sure I also contacted my better business bureau for my area/state and filed a legal complaint. They follow up on this and were sent the same letter I was.

So you probably do have some recourse against Afni.
To
  20th of Apr, 2010
just received a offer of a discount settlement on my pre-paid cellphone, called my carrier and was informed that no such debt existed for my phone # am going to the postal inspector to file a claim of mail fraud. if anyone receives anything from these clowns contact the mail fraud division of the postal service with luck we can shut these a-holes down

Afni Logo Afni
Overall Satisfaction Rating

159 Reviews
1310 Martin Luther King Dr.
Bloomington