Acer Aspire One laptop / Always freezes up

I have an AspireOne and I love it...when it actually functions normally!

Does yours sometimes (or for mine..95% of the time) freeze up when you shut the screen without logging off first? The screen is black but the power button says its on, but its just frozen like that. The only way to fix it is to take the battery out and restart it. Sometimes it'll just do that if I leave it open and inactive for even just a short period of time.

Also, it just started doing a new thing where when I try to log back in after logging out, it will not let me type in my password. The only way to log back in is to restart it.

Ughhh this computer is soooo frustrating! I'm just wondering if its just my computer or if anyone else has these problems?

I'd send it back and get a more functional computer, but I do love how small and portable it is! I can carry it in my purse and take it anywhere...plus I have the pretty pink one! Hopefully these problems are fixable

Comments

• Va
      17th of May, 2009

You're not alone. I just got back from Columbus Microcenter and their Customer Service folks said "Acer won't allow us to work on these anymore". This is the third time I've had to take it up there for a 5-minute "fix/reset". There is a key combination that should bypass this and allow it to boot up again, but I can't recall what it was. I've got mine in the box with the battery pulled. Maybe in a few days it will reset and boot properly, but I'm calling Acer the first of next week for any ideas on correcting this. Obviously, the bios flash doesn't correct the real problem. Bummer. My symptoms were the same as yours.
    Mike

• Ak
      15th of Jun, 2009

I would like to bring this to your kind attention, that I purchased my
    laptop on 1st January 2009 from vaibhav solutions, Carlton towers Bangalore
    for a price of INR 30, 000 with S. No. LXARE0C0198422B46B2500 and I
    committed the biggest mistake of my life, Upon using it for just 20 days I
    started facing problems with my machine. This is a clear indication of how
    a branded company like ACER is making fool of innocent customers by giving
    them some stupid machine which starts behaving in a strange fashion in just
    20 days of purchase.

Since the inception I am continuously in touch with the call centre guys
    and with Vaibhav solutions centre and seriously tired of their excuses.
    It's been five times in five months that I reported some or the other
    incident to them and still they are not able to fix up the issue
    completely. I was informed by the ACER call centre that somebody is going
    to get in touch with me, yet no one responded back to me.

• Op
      13th of Aug, 2009

has anyone found a solution to this? i used to own hp and have never had problems with it, and now i am on the verge of taking this acer aspire one back to where i bought it from, because i cannot afford to have a laptop that's giving me headaches, if it does not freeze up it makes a funny noise when the media player is on. and when the power is not on it becomes as dim as night...fed up!!!

• Ni
      19th of May, 2010

I know this is a pretty old post, but I just wanted to comment that it is 2010 and my Acer Aspire One is new and keeps frustrating me with the same problem. It just freezes and I have to unplug battery to restart. I went on a search hoping to find some answers; and of course there are none. I wish they would test products for a significant time before they start selling it.

• Ff
      17th of Jul, 2010

also mine has the same problem ... did any of you find a solution?
    Francesco

• El
      10th of Dec, 2010

same problem folks nobody has a solution plese let me know..plz frustrating here, , last time i buy an acer thats for sure..

• Mi
      22nd of Jan, 2011

I have an Acer Aspire also, like everyone else here...same problem

• Lo
      4th of Sep, 2011

FOR all users that have problems with the wifi connect freezing the netbook after 1 minute====
    ENABLE NETWORK BOOT IN BIOS!!! (worked for me on ubuntu 64 bit 11.04)

• Ro
      11th of Dec, 2011

This problem can be resolved by upgrading to the BIOS (to v1.15 which includes a system lever WLAN fix) and the Wireless LAN driver (in my case Atheros).
    I'd suggest updating all the system device drivers anyway. Turn off WiFi (Fn - F3) before you begin and connect your notepad via cable to the internet.
    Drivers can be downloaded from your regional Acer website, but make sure you pick the right model.
    Ron

• Qu
      16th of Apr, 2017

2017 AND THE SAME ####...Acer is the worse brand I have ever experienced. Less than a year old stupseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fed up

• J3
      14th of Feb, 2018

2018 and I am having the same problem. Have owned mine last then 6 months and this has been happening now for the past month.
    Completely over it, freezes up right in the middle of things and then I end up losing them.
    Will be taking it back as I lucky bought am extended warranty with it.

14th of Dec, 2018

I have an Acer Aspire 3 with windows 10 and mine will freeze randomly and the only thing that works is to do a hard reset holding down the power button.
    This laptop isn't even a year old and it already has been sent back to Acer for a total HD failure 42 days after purchase. Now this damn freezing problem is driving me up the wall. This is such a frustrating situation as I can't keep shelling out 80$ for shipping every couple of months for Acer to keep their product limping along until the next crash.