Ace Hardwareace hardware - granite reef / mcdonald scottsdale, az

A few months ago (1/25/17) I bought a garbage disposal from the Scottsdale Ace Hardware (Granite Reef/ McDonald) and asked for a recommendation for a handyman to install it since I didn’t know of anyone. They gave me a card for ‘Joe’s Handyman Service.’ Since I have gotten good customer service from Ace before, I decided to use this ‘handyman.’ He came out to install the disposal and while we were chatting he started to tell me that he’s been homeless and living out of his car, and has moved back and forth from Colorado 3 times, has received ‘help’ from friends while trying to settle in Arizona, etc. I became nervous hearing about all of this to say the least. I tested the disposal while he was there and it seemed to work (however he looked uncomfortable while I was doing this.)

When he left I loaded the dishwasher and started it- to make a long story short water came pouring out of the bottom of the dishwasher onto my hardwood floors. Apparently he had forgotten to remove some plug in the disposal which caused the water to back up and pour out of the dishwasher at a furious pace. I was in the other room when I heard it and scrambled to mop it up but couldn’t get it all fast enough and the water caused damage to my floors. I discovered this man was completely uninsured and unlicensed- he did not return my calls to come up with a plan to repair my floors.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Scottsdale, AZI went back to the store the next day to tell them what happened- they immediately knew the name of this person before I told them who it was. Apparently they’ve gotten complaints about him before. I spoke to Jared Redding (store manager) about the situation and he said there was nothing he would do about it, that Ace is not responsible. He said I should have ‘checked him out’ on my own, but I didn’t think I needed to do that since Ace was recommending him and I trust Ace.
I don’t understand why they continued to give out his card if they would not stand behind the recommendation? Jared said they just collect handyman’s cards to give out to customers while not ‘vetting’ them or checking them out in any way. I was shocked to find this out- these people could be felons, drug addicts, etc and we are letting them into our homes. Or at the very least, they could be very unqualified and do damage to people’s homes as was done to mine.
Jared gave me the name of Ron Buchtel who is in Operations - I put in 2 calls to him and never got a call back.
I am very disappointed to say the least, and feel this is very bad business. A complaint is on file at the Better Business Bureau, as a first step.
I feel I should share this story with Google, Yelp and any and all neighborhood, local and national websites as possible.
I think I should be compensated in some way and also think a shift in store policy is in order.

• Updated by jglavich · May 18, 2017

Thank you for reading this complaint.

Jg