AAA.com / insurance claims

1 PO Box 91839 Long Beach CALong Beach, CA, United States
Phone: 562.429.0601

I am formally requesting a review of my accident that occurred on august 15, 2008. For the sake of balance, i am also submitting this review as part of discovery for the court date that is pending.

On august 15th, 2008 in the morning, i drove down a small alleyway that led to shoreline drive in long beach. Having driven this route hundreds (And that is not hyperbole) of times. On this occasion there was an illegally parked vending truck completely obstructing the view of oncoming traffic. Now, on every street in every county, illegally parked vehicles and legally parked vehicles can obstruct your view. My question i pose to you the reviewer is this, “if this car was legally parked, would the outcome (By that, i mean your ‘conclusion’) have been the same?” does the fact that there was an illegally parked car, mean anything? It was the catalyst to the entire incident. If the vending truck (License plate number 9d85564 ca) was not there, there never would have been an accident.

Where is the fact checking on your side of the department? I pay you good money to make sure: i’m insured and my car is taken care of. I do not believe a 1 hour deliberation over the telephone, without visiting the location, without the actual accident report reaching the reviewer is, even in the most casual of situations, no basis to make such a decision. I sure hope your company doesn’t try to handle health insurance claims:

“hello, this is aaa health insurance. Can i have your policy number?”
“its g165xx. ”
“well, how can we help you?”
“i lost a lot of blood, and i need a transfusion. ”
“how much did you lose?”
“i dunno. I’m pretty lightheaded. ”
“i realize that sir, but if you don’t tell me on the phone, i may have to get up from my desk and go out to the field. My coffee’s here, and…sir…are you there? Hello…. Sir?”

1) i saw an old grey ford f-250 fill my entire driver side window. I had a ventriloquist dummy in the driver’s side of my car. “i thought it was a kid, ” that is what the driver said. That is how close that truck got to me. Somehow he only got the tail-end of my car. If someone were to actually go to the site, you would
See that my car was more than 19 feet in the street.

The man was elderly, and probably didn’t have the reflexes to stop in time; i had my [wits] though and avoided a driver side collision. I was halfway in the street, unobstructed by the large vending truck. The driver in question, driving down the same street hits me as i idle the street…is that really 100% at fault?

2) how much fault lies in an illegally parked vending truck? The curb was painted red, with a “no stopping at any time” sign. That person began the chain of events by breaking the law. The curb was red for a reason; it blocked the view of oncoming traffic. How much [percentage wise] do you give the truck? What exactly do you use to establish “fault” without checking of fact?

I passed the truck, and was far into the street when i was hit. If i was in plain sight, clear of the vending truck, about to turn, how fast do you think i was going? How fast do you think he was going? Keep in mind, the driver of the truck thought that i had a kid in the car. This means he saw me before even deciding to brake. I accelerated. He got the bumper, instead of me. Or maybe it was my fault because my car was too long? How much of a percentage are you going to subscribe to the “short car theory in your actuarial tables?” if that’s the case maybe i have the wrong policy. Perhaps i need a “shorter faster car add-on” to my already bloated bill?

It has to be said, that i am going to court because of this.In the word of the officer, it’s not a matter of who was at fault, it’s a formality. Which i can understand, i’m going to stand in front of the judge, with my diagram of the street, and my arguments will be bolstered by the testimony of the only two people that were party to the accident. There were no cops, no aaa, just the two of us.

I may have to reconsider my insurance carrier, because i feel that if this is how you treat your clients (The other driver was not insured by aaa, but he was treated much more favorably than your own client) then i and everyone that i know, will be made aware that our money is not being paid to aaa is not for their security-or even competent coverage, but for your bottom line. These points will also be brought up in court, so if you would like to attend a true venue where compensation, evidence and testimony gathering is practiced, i am more than happy to tell your “adjuster” when and where the date is. Otherwise, i strongly recommend that aaa invest in their policyholders, and not their shareholders. As small as my policy is, i have a big mouth, and an even bigger brain. Both of these will be used to my full ability until this matter reaches a carefully thought out and fully fleshed conclusion. By this i don’t mean the letter that i received saying:

“for the accident of august 15, 2008, we have assessed your percentage of fault at 100% and the percentage of fault of any other drive or cause at 0%

This was based on:

Your vehicle made an unsafe left turn. ”

The court will find me not at fault. So my final question to you is this: what do you do then? Are you going to retroactively change the decision? What about others that didn’t go through the lengths i’m about to force your company to do its job? Is this case going to establish a precedent, where it’s finally realized that insurance companies are not part of the judicial system and should not make this kind of judgment without at least adhering to the basics of fact checking? If there is one human left in your corporation, that beyond those textured cubicle walls, that sees the insanity of this decision, then please contact me. Because if this is a world of big business where actuarial tables replace common sense and the bottom line drives its employees, i may have been better off not accelerating.

Best