1&1 Internet, Inc. / horrible company

1 IN, United States Review updated:

1 & 1 Internet is a horrible company, but some recourse is possible! Not only am I a very disgruntled customer after they lied to me repeatedly after reselling a name I had registered and paid for with them, but I am an investigative journalist. In the last 8 months, I have written more than 30 articles, interviewed more than 200 people who have been blatantly wronged by 1 & 1 Internet, talked to several consumer groups and interested attorneys, and worked with over 60 radio and TV stations on this story. Everyone has been very interested, and the investigation continues. If you have had an issue with the company, you can do the following make a difference, and get your justice:

1.) File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office at www.pa.gov, or call the investigator Madelaine Dakour directly at [protected]. They have already received a large number of complaints, and have escalated the investigation, so make sure and contact them.

2.) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they already have a completely unsatisfactory rating by going to www.bbb.org

3.) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov

4.) File a complaint with your state consumer advocacy group through the Attorney General’s office or Secretary of State’s office. Indiana’s is www.indianaconsumer.com

5.) Explore your state’s legislative code and find out where they stand on mandatory arbitration clauses. The Federal Arbitration Act has been shot down by state courts if they find the 1 & 1 contract to be “unconscionable” and without “mutuality” as they offer nothing for the consumer. More and more courts are ruling in favour of consumers, especially with terms and conditions that allow for illegal activity. Breach of contract, fair trade laws, fraud, and consumer laws are the tip of the legal iceberg for 1 & 1.

6.) I’m working with station affiliates of each of the major TV networks, and you can help by contacting your local station through the main sites at www.cbs.com, www.nbc.com, www.abc.com, and www.foxnews.com. Contact the investigative reporter, or simply send a news tip to the newsroom and they will follow up. Chances are, they are already aware of the major problems with the company.

7.) Keep meticulous records!

My lawsuit is pending, and I’ve been inundated with law firms wanting to take on the abysmal business practices, or lack thereof, with 1 & 1. The blatant disregard for the consumers has gotten the attention of the legal community, media, and consumers all across the country and by banding together, we can get some justice. You do not have to succumb to their tactics!

Best wishes,

Kelli J. Jack

President
Lines, Inc. Media
8425 Woodfield Crossing Blvd.
Suite #100
Indianapolis, IN 46240
[protected]

Va

Comments

15th of Jul, 2008

I started a website for my school over a year ago. It was for a fund raiser that lasted 2 months. I paid for a year of service. I closed my account to stop from them forcing payments from me.

Now, over a YEAR after the account was closed, I received an email with an invoice.

I emailed them asking why I was getting an invoice, and asking not to charge me, and I received a reply saying

"The invoice that you have received is for the automatic annual renewal
    of the domain that was ordered. The domain has been renewed for you for
    the next 12 months and is non-refundable as stated in our terms and
    conditions."

I do not have the account info to even LOG IN and stop this, I removed the billing agreement from my paypal, but they refuse to give me a refund. I filed a paypal complaint for fraudulent charges. I've never dealt with a more ridiculous company in my life! I'm going to take every measure possible against this corrupt company.

I'm going ot keep getting charged too. They sent a collection agency on someone after they closed their credit card after 4 years of recieving unwanted payments. They don't back down. This is so stupid!

• 1a
      28th of May, 2009

In my dealings with 1and1 it is obvious that they just don't care about bad customer relations, bad publicity, etc. Their business is undoubtedly based on churn (high turnover of customers with new customers replacing lost customers) and ripping off existing customers by their insane financial policies. I suggest that any would be new customer carefully read the contract they must agree to when signing up with 1and1. Unfortunately I didn't. No one with more than two brain cells would ever knowingly agree to their contract.

• Vg
      15th of Sep, 2009

Dear Kelli,

I agree 100% with what you're written about 1and1.com! I performed several transactions with 1and1 to buy many domain names. I cancelled many of the domains PRIOR to the expiration date of the first year and they STILL charged my credit card! I couldn't stop them from accessing my credit card, so I finally had to enter an old (expired) credit card into the system in order to keep them from accessing my valid card. Little did I know that they retaliated by sending ALL of my transactions to NCO Financial (collections)! I get at least 3-5 calls per day from NCO and they are horrible people! 1and1 offers NO HELP whatsoever!

Do you have any updated good news about your experience with 1and1 or NCO Financial that could give me a blueprint to salvation? NCO has already placed several collection entries on my credit report!

Thank you, in advance, for your kind reply.

Sincerely,
    Vince
    Vg411@hotmail.com

• Wa
      26th of Nov, 2009

I am having the same kind of experience with NCO Financial trying to collect from me for services/products I never ordered. Even though it is a relatively small amount of money, I can tell these people are bad people. What can we do to nail these crooks? You can count me in.

• Du
      21st of Aug, 2011

I used this company for hosting various websites from 2002 to 2006. The service was abysmal and the customer service was a nightmare. Signing up was very easy but leaving was very, very difficult. I lost half of my clients due to slow loading sites, email accounts that didn't work and poor response time to technical problems. I eventually cancelled my multiple accounts and moved all of my websites to another host. Even after leaving 1 and 1 continued to try to charge me and now I have an issue with my credit rating. Two years after leaving I got a letter from a collections company. I paid the balance after 3 weeks of trying to have it removed/contested. Now even though it has been paid the strike is still on my credit report. I didn't owe the money as I had cancelled and received confirmation of cancellation. I also hadn't been using the services yet I was still billed without communicating this with me and without access to the account I was being billed for.

I thought that my experience may have been unique but after reading hundreds of similar posts on websites and blogs I am now convinced that this company is scamming people. I have never taken time to fill out a BBB complaint but this company has motivated me to do something to fight back against us little people. I would love to have this strike removed from my credit but I doubt this will ever happen. My hope is that this company will be sued or shut down to prevent hundreds and thousands of other Americans from going through the Hell that I and others have endured by doing business with 1 and 1 Internet.

• Ew
      10th of Feb, 2013

This company sent an invoice on 11/20/13, but the renewal date was 11/18/13. I emailed to cancel on the invoice date, but they replied they would not cancel by email. I then called and they said they could not cancel because I didn't have the password. The account had been set-up by an employee that was no longer working at my company. After several more emails and calls they have turned me over to a collection agency. Stay away from this business and their deceptive billing. Once you sign up, you can't get out !

• Je
      8th of Jan, 2014

I had bought several domain names with 1&1 and with each I ticked the box for non-renewal after the one year expiration date. Yet 1&1 has taken it upon themselves to renew those domain names without authorization by me. I never place a renewal order because I often buy the names for possible websites, and if it doesn't happen in the years time, then like other registries I've been with I'd get a notice asking me if I want to renew and if I don't respond then it automatically expires.

Yet 1&1 has illegally authorized the renewals and then they demand money for what they have done illegally. Bring it on 1&1 send me to collections so I can start a class action suit. Please do it - I'm retired and got nothing better to do and I will enjoy suing you and getting compensation. See you in court - anyone want to join me?

• El
      26th of Feb, 2014

I received a disturbing letter in the mail from NCO Financial Services Inc as well and they are saying I owe them because of 1 & 1 Internet -------- I don't even HAVE internet. I am an elderly lady - and they don't have my name or address totally correct - but it is still alarming and I am very upset.
    They should be stopped and charged for this harrassing behaviour.