College Pro PaintersDO NOT WORK/BUY FROM THEM.

H

I worked as a franchisee for Collegepro this past summer, and let me tell you - it was HELL! do not work here unless you are super desperate - I define desperate as in even McDonald's would not hire you to work for them. I was a freshman in college, and I never heard about Collegepro before. Having no money or job, Collegepro promised me both. All I had to do was sign on the dotted lines. Little did I know at the time what a big mistake I'm making. I have not heard about the bad reputation of Collegepro after being in college for a month. I didn't know that if you backed out of the contract, they would charge you $4000. But one of my friends backed out, and she did not get charged. You see guys, Collegepro is too scared to sue because they are afraid to get publicized about what a big scam company they are. They also said they will only take 25% of my revenue as royalties, but they took 36% instead. They charged 5% as liabilities (wtf is that anyways?!), and 5% for their call centre expenses. On top of the fees they charged, they ALSO charged 5% GST because the company does not want to pay their own GST. Anyways, I was working about 60hr/week for basically minimum wage, and it was hot and sweaty, and I was miserable. All that work for money? It was like selling your soul to the devil. They promise that you will learn many skills, but all I learned was how to perform manual labour. All the work entilled was calling customers (who were usually pissed off), booking them in the right time, doing the job (which was usually ###), and collecting their money at the end. By doing this job, some people actually LOST money from working for THEM. If you are a consumer reading this, please think twice about buying a paint job from an innocent college student - Collegepro manipulate students to say that so that consumers will be more likely to buy from them. You have to realize that most of the money is not going to fund the student's tuition, but to this big evil company. If you want to join me in putting an end to this evil scam, please DO NOT BUY from Collegepro. From this experience, I learned that 1) when something sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true, and 2) don't be so gullible, and cross-examine everything before signing a contract. I am writing this article because I hope that it will stop other people from signing with them.

John390 Dec 11, 2013

From the perspective of a previous student franchise manager for College Pro that ended up with LOSING MONEY and an overall terrible experience, I have to say OP's post about College Pro being a scam and deceiving is exaggerated but is not completely untrue. Some of the points that he made are actually true and I've seen and heard many students who have been victims of College Pro's misleading and profit-driven practices. The company obviously states they value the experiences students learn from the opportunity as an entrepreneur but ultimately, it all comes down to profit. They will not care for your personal stories or situations, and if it means taking money from you to generate profit, they will do it without hesitation. However, people should know people like OP should've been more careful when signing the contract (even though the contract is 30+ pages long and they sort of make you just sign it), actively engage more with their supervisor (theres a chance your supervisor might be a total ### and barely give you any helpful advice or support), and know what they're signing for. The job is NOT easy. You're obviously going to be dirty and sweaty when cleaning windows in the hottest time of the year. Also not to mention dangerously climbing 30+ feet ladders without any safety measures. What I can say to those who are skeptical about the legitimacy of College Pro is that it regardless of how much money you make or you lose by doing the job, you will gain experience. Even though I lost more money, and my experiences were terrible (boss was a total jerk, conflict with customers, immense pressure to meet unrealistic goals, feeling of guilt for being told to overcharge customers, cold calling, etc), at the end I gained a once in a life time experience. You are still young and have a long way to go with endless opportunities. Don't let this one judge you because you failed to meet your own or their expectations, and learn from it. If you are willing to take the chance, go for it.

jolly rogership Mar 29, 2011

The main goal is to continue to sign up as many "kids who want to be their own boss", which a majority fail at. Who really loses is the business who can't break even, but under these conditions it's made even harder for the franchisee. The main issue I have is with the legal threats. Scaring kids into fines once they sign the contract by claiming they've invested money is a joke. They take 25% of the job. Of course they don't want the kids to leave. The kids only make money after a certain point and they are the last ones in line. In order for just about any contract to hold up "both" parties must receive something in order for it to be enforceable. Look into info on how "real" franchises work. If you feel threatened before you've begun any work... well don't because you have the control. Remember they NEED you not the other way around

• Co
    collegeprosucks May 25, 2010

I agree college pro is a huge scam hiden fees and a bunch of liars when I finally quit they stole ladders that belong to me and tried to say they were theres. Also the reason I quit was due to medical issues and yet they still have come after me for a bunch of fees when I know a franshise that also broke his contract and still runs a painting company and yet they have been left alone because of friends at college pro, everyone should be mindful of these con artists its a scam.

• Le
    Le M Mar 31, 2010

I must agree with Shane. College Pro gives an opportunity for students and young entrepreneurs to run their own painting business. College Pro is a franchise, and just like any other franchise there needs to be some consistency in the way the business is run. Having said that, there is so much freedom in the business for each individual owner to try out new ideas in search for more success. It sounds to me like 'H.L' was not a very effective manager especially if his/her customers "were usually pissed off" and if the work his/her painters produced was "usually ###." You, H.L are the one accountable if your customers are upset. And you, H.L are the one to blame if your painters produce low quality work since it is your responsibility to train them properly.

I was a first year franchisee in 2009 myself, and I too worked endless hours each week to run my business but that was my choice and my choice alone. No one forces you to work long hours; your franchise is your business and you can run it the way you want. You set your owns goals and get paid exactly what you are worth-- just like any other business. Last year was a great experience and I enjoyed my summer so much that I'm with College Pro again this year.

H.L, you also claim one needs to be so "desperate" that "even McDonald's would not hire you to work for them." It's unfair to classify McDonald's employees lower than any other employees. By the sounds of how unsatisfied your customers were last year, you should consider yourself lucky if McDonald's would hire you to to run a cash register.

Le M

• Cp
    CPP FRANCHISE Mar 31, 2010

I also challenge you to reveal your identity so the real numbers and truth can be brought to this forum. Especially considering there was not a franchisee in Ottawa last year with the initials H.L

• Cp
    CPP FRANCHISE Mar 31, 2010

In Response to your inaccurate post.

My name is Shane and I have been a College Pro Franchisee for 4 years, I also painted for 2 years before this. The account of your experience is not only inaccurate of other franchisees it is in fact slander. First of all Royalties are not 25%, they start at 24% and are reduced over your career with the company. Call Centre, Quality Assurance, and Liability Insurance charges are another cost however much less than your reported 11% and this is all made very clear at the outset. And everyone in Canada pays GST.

If your franchise did poor work, that is YOUR fault. When you take on the responsibility of running the franchise you are supposed to ensure that the work is done properly. I ensure that everyone of my clients are satisfied and if I find one that is not I go above and beyond to satisfy them. Want proof-go to any one of the coffee shops or pubs around Ottawa and ask the locals about College Pro they will affirm what I have just said.

To say that most people lose money is inaccurate also. Almost every franchisee earns money. Some more than others however you get what you put in. I happen to make a large sum of money from my franchise and I have never as you so eloquently stated "ripped anyone off".

In terms of learning. This company and my dedication to the franchise have turned me into a top notch businessman. I have a MBA's understanding of the business: leadership, production, marketing, sales, customer support, and recruiting.

Do not post inaccurate jargon on the web simply because you did not put the work in. I work 50-70 hour week however I love what I do, I love who I have become, and I love College Pro.

SL