Having problems with Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Feb 3, 2008. The latest review Clayton Homes splendora tx was posted on Aug 30, 2021. The latest complaint 2010 giles 16x80 mobile home was resolved on Dec 25, 2019. Clayton Homes has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 114 reviews. Clayton Homes has resolved 44 complaints.

Clayton Homes Customer Service Contacts

5000 Clayton Road
Maryville, Tennessee

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Clayton Homes Customer Service. Initial Clayton Homes complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Clayton Homes above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Clayton Homes. Discuss the issues you have had with Clayton Homes and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Clayton Homes Complaints & Reviews, Page 6

Clayton Mobile Homes — no manufactures warranty included

Many issues with the home we purchased which is just 2yrs old. The first week of moving into our new home in...

Rogersville

Clayton Homescardboard house

Everything about this house is as cheap as it gets! Just about all the paneling has fallen off. The french doors leak when it rains, even after the service guy came out and "fixed" it.

NONE of the holes where the pipes come up into the house were sealed off, making this house extra mice friendly! After sealing off all the wholes and killing all the mice and disinfecting everything myself, the bathrooms started to reek of mice urine again and we ended up having to rip up our bathtubs AND sinks to find they were entering the house through a hole 3 times bigger than it needed to be for the water pipes!

And the skirting was so cheap that the one or two times it hailed lightly in 3 years punctured right through it, then the wind blew off some of the skirting, allowing other animals to take up housing!! Also allowing the feild mice to get under our house, crawl in our walls and die, leaving us smelling decaying flesh! And now they are in our A/C ducts!

All the knobs in the house are too cheap and dont work right either. The back door knob and the french door knob dont lock, we have to use only the dead bolt and the one on the back door is almost impossible to do. You have to pull the door REALLY tight to get it to lock.

There is 1-1/2 inch gap (some have bigger) under all the doors in the house and some are unlevel and wont stay open, but because of the enormous gap, I cant use a door stop. The carpet is cheap. The shingles fly off our roof as if they weren't even attached.

We practically live in a cardboard house. Just a shove busted open our front door.

I called and asked them what do to about the infestation in my A/C ducts, we are breathing mice urine and feces! And they are chewing holes in the ducts, so our room is always hot!! And the guy said nothing can keep mice out and that he would talk to the service department and call me back...guess what? No call back!

I can keep going, but I'm getting very angry so I'll end it right here. You all get my point.

• Cy
      Cynthia Powell Dec 14, 2017

Would like to know about any class action suits against Clayton or Imperial Homes Construction in Chehalis, WA.

• Tr
      trena h Feb 27, 2010

i also have had the same problems .My home was $ 70, 000 and is falling apart, the french doors leaked and rotted floor, spare bathroom shower was leaking an i didn't know, so floor an wall also rotted, fireplace leaks, even the lights have shorted out, carpet wrinkled up, insalation has deteriated.This house is'nt even 3 years old and i can go on an on, they lied to me about the warrenty, "said it had a 20 yr' that was a lie, they came out to fix but said could'nt be .i cannot find a attorney to sue them so i am stuck with this piece of sht.that is falling down around me my power bill went from $100 a month to $4oo a month in just the last 4 months, simpley because of insalation, so you now here every car that goes down the road when you use to not hear them.this is a southern energy home that was purchased from clayton homes in leeds alabama.this is a clear case of bad quality manufactoringso if you know a way to sue them pleas let me know, my name is trena and my e-mail is [email protected] thank you

• Bj
      bj1234 Feb 26, 2010

I agree...to a point. My Clayton has a leaking METAL roof, poor door knobs, GIGANTIC holes in the floor for the plumbing (I crawled underneath and closed them with expanding foam). They used OSB board for EXTERIOR TRIM! Can you say sponge? Perhaps my biggest problem are the poor quality of doors - their design conducts water into the house, and now the doors themselves are falling apart! Also, EVERY MAJOR APPLIANCE (A/C, vent-hood, vent fans, & water-heater) except the dishwasher have been replaced by me. The only reason the dishwasher is OK (probably) is because we don't use it.

In their defense, the skirting (I assume it's plastic) is cheap, no matter where you buy it. I've accidentally knocked holes in ours with the weed-eater!

I understand that I live in a mobile home (I hate when they call it "manufactured home!") - it's a freakin' trailer house! I don't expect it to be perfect, and it's temporary until we build a real home of our own. But, I agree - this is ridiculous!

• Be
      Bernie Haley Jan 15, 2010

I surely agree. I have had serious roof leakage problems and watched as they tore off the original roof material. I could not believe the shoddy work on the roof that had been covered up. I am launching a class action suit against Clayton, Golden West and Oakwood Homes in Lacey WA. Want to join? Get everyones name and email address, mine is: [email protected] I am hiring a local attorney to get things started. I will contact the local Newspaper when I get enough names from my area, Grays Harbor County, WA. Bernie Haley. I have photos, past emails, etc. These homes are an embarrassment to the housing industry.

Clayton Mobile Homeslying/shoddy workmanship

we bought our home from a clayton dealership in cheyenne, wy. right after we bought it and it was delivered, the problems started. it came with a tv, which was demolished before we bought the home and it took 6 weeks to get another one...we had to prove it was damaged on the lot. thankfully, we had a camera and had our proof. the home was delivered and the guy from the dealership basically said, "here ya go" and he left. we had to unpack our own home. the roof began to sag and we were informed that the roof was on 16 inch centers...we measured the sags and found out that they were lying to us...the roof is on 2 foot centers. we were also told that the outside walls were 2x6 and we found out that they lied again...the outside walls are 2x4. our windows allow wind and dust to come into the home and the corner of our garden tub is not solidly closed off...we get piles of dust in the tub whenever the wind blows. they even lied to us about the financing. i have never had such disappointment in a home. i have come to the conclusion that they might as well come get it.

• Jl
        JLMKS Jul 31, 2011

We had and still are having issues with the home we bought from Clayton Homes, Cheyenne. I was lied to about the purchase price-I was told 69, 000, and that's even what the contract says...but it also has $4190. for "Discount points" on the 2nd page, that I was told Clayton was paying for. After paying over $29, 000 over three years, my balance owed has only went down $2000, but it's still $1, 000 over the "Amount financed" on the Retail Installment Contract! We went to Clayton homes and complained about this (and other things) as were told "That's the reason Pete isn't with us anymore...because of things like this happening." Pete was the Sales Manager at the time. Even though they admitted this, the finance company, Vanderbilt Mortgage said too bad, deal with it. If there are any attorny's out there that would like to help me, let me know! This is clearly PREDATORY LENDING/FINANCING! [email protected]

Clayton Homes — leaky wet walls and buckled floors

I purchased a mobile home from Clayton Homes and I have had nothing but trouble. My walls leak and I now have...

Clayton Homesissues

My wife and I purchased a modular home from Clayton Homes in Greensboro, NC from an E Russell Smith. That salesman disappeared after a while and the home was placed in the lap of a Zone Manager out of the Charlotte area named Bobby Alberts. He told me he would not complete my contract and that I had to take them to court. What gives this person the right to tell me that they are not going to complete an contract agreement and fix the issues on my punch list.

We feel as though we bought a yugo from a used car dealer and our "dream home" is now the "Nightmare on Holder Farm Rd". I want to turn the tables and make this the nightmare for Clayton and make them fix our home to my satisfaction. Our punch list is attached if anyone wants to see it.

• I have tried to contact clayton, but they continually ignore complaints. BBB was as useless as a hammer to a fish, so don't expect much help there. May as well do as I had to- Rebuild the sorry heap on your own. I had to learn construction after I bought my wonderful new home. The home we got was a nightmare, and we found out a year after we bought it that the sales people at the lot even had a bet on how long it would take before Vanderbilt mortgage had it repoed anyway. Clayton, if the Japs opened a trailer lot I would have traded this lemon in on a Jap or German model. American craftsmanship my aunt Fanny!

• Sh
          S. HENRY Aug 23, 2009

CALL CLAYTON HOMES DIRECT. OFFICE IS IN TENNESSEE. IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE NUMBER ---SHOULD BE ON INTERNET---LET ME KNOW AND I WILL GET IT FOR YOU.

Clayton Homes — leaking, mold

We purchased our clayton home in 2003, problems started before our first payment with a leak in the bedroom...

Clayton Homeshome

Failed to complete home per contract, No deck as per contract and blueprints, cracked basement wall with leakage, stairwell not complete per prints, roof leaks, many more.

• 1m
            1 Mad Contractor Mar 25, 2011

REf. : Mr. Rix, I am in total agreement with you. These guy's sell to you no matter what it takes. I am telling you as a contractor that did work for them.I t was a shame the way they take advantage of people. Both purchasing & contracting. They would have us bid the work, say that the customer couldn't afford it. Have us drop items from bid to lower cost, ( so that they could keep there%of mark up)then we do the job and the customer expecting the work to be done that they where promised. The contractors would have to eat it or just walk away. I dealt with M.H.(who was terminated) @ the Festus store and am looking for more customers & contractors who have same experience Please feel free to send me any info that mite help me expose this problem.rga573 @ yahoo dot com Thanks

Clayton Homes — terrible experience

Please if you are thinking about even approaching a Clayton Homes dealership...DON"T. If I had seen thi...

Giles Industries — bad service

We had one of your homes delivered from Freedom Homes of Beaver, WV. The sales staff were a joy to deal with...

vanderbilt/clayton homesliers crooks thieves

we purchase new home they destroid it setting it up. charging us 28000 over our deal.i am on set income of 674. ssi per mo. my home payment is 775. they were told by atty. general office an the ohio state inspection office they owed us a new home .they just walk away heating system still does not work, doors wont shut windoes screwup you name it we got it. john clyborn is my name

• La
              lallred Oct 08, 2010

I have had the same problem, We bought our home in 2001 never signed off on it, was hit during setup, floor sinking waited 2 years for well, sheetrock cracked home is pulling apart, never has been fixed, people come outto half fix it, was told by one thatr the load bearing stud was damaged and that the house was knocked out of square, he got fired, My husband lost his job and they would not modify loan, tried to charge us 20 per day extra interest .we are in the middle of a forclosure on this home, for us to have bought this home new it never looked new due to it being hit during set up and the damage never being fixed right.we have fought with them over this since 2001, always running into a dead end

Clayton Homes — mobile homes services

We bought a home from Clayton Homes in Opelika, Al..They have demolished our property and made chaos .They...

Clayton Homes — terrible company and they don't care

Update... we spoke to two different local lawyers and they said we had a right to battle this but after their...

Clayton Homes — no service policy

We purchased a home from Clayton Homes in Greensboro, NC in June of 2005. They did nothing but play cat and...

Clayton Homes — scam and cheating!

We decided in 2006 to purchase a new home, July 23rd, 2006 to be exact. We first went to the Clayton home...