Cisco SystemsSimply awful

C Review updated:

I purchased a Linksys wireless router to accompany the XO laptop that I bought for my parents for Christmas (the laptop is great). They currently have an old desktop PC that does not have any Ethernet ports, and must therefore connect to the DSL modem via a USB cable.

I was able to get the wireless router to work, but then the PC couldn't connect to the Internet. Once I got the PC's Internet connection working again, the wireless stopped working.

After about an hour and a half of trying to get it to work, I called Linksys customer support. And after about 45 minutes on hold, I spoke with a tech support person who had me fiddle with the connections and configurations for another 45 minutes or so to no avail until my cell phone battery died.

The next day, I called customer support again, waited for 30 minutes on hold, and then fiddled with the connections and configurations with another tech support person for another 30 minutes.

After trying a bunch of different things, the support person asked me to hold. He came back after a few minutes, and informed me that the router I purchased cannot be used with a USB modem.

Had they shared this tidbit with me in the first place - or better still, included it in the documentation that came with the router - I would have simply given up and returned the router to the store and would have continued buying Cisco's products with no hard feelings.

But because they wasted several hours of my time through their sheer incompetence, not only has Cisco Systems lost a customer, they have gained a lifelong enemy.

• Updated by Hossam El Amin · Jul 04, 2019

Your service is terrible in terms of customer service as well as branches

• Ho
    Hossam El Amin Jul 10, 2019

Your service in Egypt is terrible, your Ma`adi branch is unqualified, your call center is the worst ever

• Ca
    Cameron walters Jan 02, 2015

We are attempting to obtain an employment verification for an employee of Cisco Systems India Pvt. Ltd. Enclosed, the information we are seeking to verify is as follows:
    • Employee’s Name : Phaniraj Kupparu
    • Employee’s Code : 875772
    ***********URGENT MESSAGE – TIME SENSITIVE DATA REQUEST***********
    PLEASE FAX TO 080-[protected] or EMAIL: [email protected] : or CALL: [protected]

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY EMPLOYEE INFORMATION VERIFIED BY COMPANY

Job Position/Title Engineer.I.Software Engineering

Position Start Date May 01, 2013

Position End Date November 24, 2014

Full Time or Part Time Employee? Full/Part time

Reason for Leaving (if applicable)?

Would this individual be eligible for rehire? Yes/No

If not eligible for rehire, please explain

NAME/TITLE OF VERIFIER: Date:

Thank you in advance for your assistance and attention to this matter. Should you have any questions or require additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at [protected]. Your response can either be called in, emailed or faxed directly to me at 080-[protected].

• Do
    dotslash Aug 24, 2012

One of my routers is a Cisco 877w, it's an enterprise router. I have found the smartnet support system to be, in many situations useless, at best it’s difficult to work with, an example would be - some engineers follow through issues, many do not. Another is - the current IOS has become so bloated, there is not enough room on the flash memory to accommodate the current IOS and management software.

I could go on and on however I’d rather spend my time learning how to configure a Vyatta router then complaining about Cisco support, Vyatta is free and installs on any x86 commodity hardware, in a physical or virtual environment. But you need to know TCP/IP, DNS, and other protocols in order to configure it; it’s a solution that’s working for my requirements.
    Misery loves company bogusdude, its evident here you have none.

• Do
    doclon Aug 05, 2010

I just bought a valet router. Comes with a"USB KEY" no printed instructions. Should truly be a plug and play. Plugged in the USB key, after 5 minutes got error message. Called tech support in the Phillipines. No help, One week later no call from Tech support in Irvine, CA. Returned Router and got a Belkin, works great. Stay Far, Far away from Cisco/linksys

• Bo
    bogus dude Apr 08, 2010

dude you're a wanker. you have no ###ing clue about what you're trying to do and then you complain that you can't achieve it. go ###ing connect some d-link or any other device to your piece of ### usb modem and then see what happens. wanker.

• Je
    Jeff Friedman Feb 22, 2009

Purchased linsys wireless G router from Staples, had problems with reception, sent back to Cisco, cisco returned item with prepaid to send to another address. Forwarded via prepaid envelope, Cisco/ Linksys cann't find item, complaints go from India to California for several months still unresolved...

It would be easier to find Osama Bin Laden than to get an issue resolved with Cisco's customer service dept.