Having problems with Chegg?

Chegg reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 3, 2009. The latest review Unauthorized charges to credit cards, frequently was posted on Sep 10, 2021. The latest complaint Shipping information or options was resolved on Aug 21, 2014. Chegg has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 79 reviews. Chegg has resolved 28 complaints.

Chegg Customer Service Contacts

+1 855 581 9873 (Customer Service)
3990 Freedom Cir
Thu5:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri5:00 AM - 6:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Chegg Customer Service. Initial Chegg complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Chegg above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Chegg. Discuss the issues you have had with Chegg and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Chegg Complaints & Reviews, Page 4

Chegg.comWhat In The Hell Just Happened?

So basically, I ordered three books from Chegg. They were supposed to arrive within 4 days. I am now at day 6. I received 1 book today. NOW LET ME BE CLEAR, I ORDERED THIS BOOK FROM CHEGG. But I recieved this book with an Amazon.com box and packing slip. The book has an invoice in it that contains a price I did not pay from a company I did not order from. So naturally, I logged into Chegg to see if they just do this sometimes (transfer books from other companies). Apparantly they do, but not from Amazon.com. Then I checked my order status'...Needless to say, Chegg claims I only ordered 1 book...a different one from the one I received. But guess what? I was charged for all three books. SO I ONLY HAVE ONE BOOK, FROM THE WRONG COMPANY, WITH THE WRONG PRICE, AND I WAS CHARGED FOR THREE. Someone explain what the hell just happened because quite honestly I'm too confused to make excuses for what could have gone on.

jesus.chegg Oct 20, 2011

Yup! Just message it to me and I'll have it handled by the end of day. Sound good, @Truth?

jesus.chegg Sep 22, 2011

@YEARIGHTWTF If you can provide me your Chegg order number I can see what might be going on and get to the bottom of this for you.

• Jw
      jweckman Sep 22, 2011

Should've gone with eCampus.com. That's where I got my books.

• It
      itplace2000 Sep 12, 2011

Should have gotten your books from TextbookX.com instead like I did.

CheggUndelivered Books

Where are my books? I made an order on Suday August 7, 2011 and I still have not recived them. According to chegg, the books were delivered and UPS's delivery proof states that they were left with "Customer Lady" at 1:07 pm on August 10, 2011. The problem is that I don't know who the customer lady is - I live alone. Where are my books CHEGG??

Have a nice day,

T.T

• Kr
        krazykaplan14 Aug 17, 2011

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. That's not fun at all. Next time I would use BookRenter.com. I've used them before and never had a problem with shipping. They also have free shipping both ways. www.bookrenter.com

jesus.chegg Aug 15, 2011

If you still haven't located "Customer Lady, " just contact Chegg and they will send you another while they take care of tracking the first one. Just be sure to double check that your shipping address is correct.

Chegg.comTerrible Customer Service

A year ago I returned a book to Chegg that I had actually bought from another vendor. I realized this as soon as the shipment went out, so called Chegg customer service to ask that the book be returned to me. I spoke to three customer service reps (and I use the term loosely), who said that they would look into it. The book was never returned, nor did I receive credit. I let this go because how much time can one spend on repeat calls to the same company? I was willing to let it go, but I just received two emails from Chegg telling me that two other books, which I should not have returned to them were going to be considered as donations because I did not contact them within 30 days of receiving them. Here's the thing: I screwed up on that. Frankly I didn't realize that they had been Chegg purchases rather than rentals. However, why didn't Chegg email me about my error immediately, letting me know that I had the option of having the books returned? They waited five months before alerting me that I could have requested a return within 30 days of sending the books to them. But here's the thing: When I did alert them about a book, nothing was done to return the book or offer me credit. So I called Chegg. My customer service rep told me that there was nothing that could be done because too much time had passed. After a dissatisfying 10 minutes with him, I asked to speak to a supervisor. When "Jerry" came on, he told me that he could give me credit for the two books because they had waited so long to alert me. Just as I was asking about credit for the original book I had called about (which Chegg has had the opportunity to rent out twice), the line disconnected. I called back and of course could not get back to "Jerry." My new customer service rep went to her supervisor fairly quickly, came back on the line to tell me about crediting my account, but somehow we were disconnected when I asked about my original book. I had given her my name and phone number, but I have not received a call from her. Frankly I'm fine with not receiving the Chegg credit because I will never rent another book from them. You shouldn't either.

jesus.chegg May 16, 2011

@Nellej My name is Jesus and I'm a student advocate for Chegg. I completely agree with you that the service you've had is exactly as you've stated! From what I read there appears to have been a huge delay in the email and for that, I will take care of this myself. I'd like to make this right by paying you out in Check (cash) form for your books as you deserve. Please feel free to message me back with your contact info as well as your order number so I can handle this asap!

thanks,

Jesus

Chegg.comLeft at the front door. HA!

I ordered some text books from chegg.com and paid for expedited shipping. Well that was on the 13th today is the 18th and still no books. According to them they were left at the front door. Just a problem with that. I was at home all day long and was actually outside at the time they claim to have left my textbooks at the door. And I guess the other issue i have with that is that why wouldn't you knock on the door first? And all they can do is say sorry and contact the merchant while my hundred dollar books float around on some brown truck are where ever they are because I tell ya they were not delivered. Plus i have two dogs that would have went crazy if someone was in the driveway lead along the porch.

jesus.chegg May 16, 2011

@JacO91 Hey my name is Jesus and I'm a Chegg student Advocate. It looks like the UPS tracking states your package was left at your front door but we would be more than happy to send you a second copy since you obviously never got the first. just give us a call and we would be more than happy to take care of it and send you another with the fastest shipping available.

Thanks,

Jesus

CheggPoor Service

I am never ordering from Chegg again. They never sent me a book that I ordered, two weeks later I notified them, all they did was give me back my money. They did nothing to make it right. I went 2 weeks in class without the book. AND!! Most places will send you a reminder email that your books are due. NOT CHEGG! They charged me over 30.00 for an extention fee! Holy SHIZ! You think they could give me a break, I have given them lots of money over the years. I found a website called textbookrentals.com and they give you a FREE 15 day grace period after your books are due. They also send you a packet to easily send your books back, no printing out anything. I'm not trying to advirtise for anyone, but when you compare them, Chegg is unholy.

Chegg.commisleading

WARNING!!! Do not ever rent from chegg.com. I rented from them plenty of times but will never do so ever again. I rented a book from them and needed it for a few more weeks. They sent me an email stating that they will automatically extend my rental for 15 days. On day 16 they charged me 180.00 for the book without even consulting with me prior to. They never stated that after the 15 days that would happen leaving one to assume that every 15 days you simply get charged another 17.00. WRONG! After calling customer service they said they cannont refund my money and all I could do was sell it back for 30.00!! This is ridiculous! I asked to speak with a manager and was told Id receive a call back in1-3 business days. They do not know the concept of a having a true relationship or buliding rapport with their consumers. If I do not get reimbursed I will NEVER EVER do business with them again and ensure everyone understands why.

Chegg.com — they took my money

i rented 4 books from chegg.com i was not finished with them so they charged me another late fee of $20 for...

Chegg.com — Payment for Books

Please spare yourself the indigestion and heartache by not using Chegg.com for any services relating to...

Chegg.comMisleading advertising

Be careful ordering with chegg.com
              I needed to extend a book because the semester ends after the due date (a trap).
              When I was ordering, the site said the book is automatically extended if your semester ends past the due date. What they don't say is there's an extension fee of $12 or more depending on the book & the length of extension. After adding the extension fee, it's almost the same cost as buying the book used somewhere.

Problems with customer service could mean they are tired from getting so many complaints.

I wish I Googled for reviews on chegg before renting. There are many negative & a few positive ones. The first one that pops up is at campusgrotto.com & seems to be an ad instead of a real customer review. Ask yourself why a company would need to do something like that.

• Sp
                  spbxr Aug 21, 2014

Chegg does not offer good shipping, unless you order your textbooks about a month ahead of time, which isn't always possible. When my daughter tried to order a textbook she was given a shipping time of over two weeks - almost three with no expediting options at all. The customer service technician was no help at all and really knew nothing about shipping nor would ask anyone above her. It was bizarre. The college bookstore was able to expedite for us but it was quite a bit more expensive for the book as they didn't have any used copies left and we had to go new. Chegg gives no shipping info on their website at all and you have no idea how they ship. They need to work on this. They also need to educate their customer service representatives.

Chegg Customer Service Jan 28, 2010

Hello, I am a Chegg customer service team member and I am unhappy to hear of the negative experience you have had with us.

Chegg offers a Semester Guarantee. If your semester runs longer than the due date for the standard semester we will extend your due date for FREE. If you would like to reach out to us, again, we would be happy to honor that guarantee for you.

Chegg Customer Service: http://www.chegg.com/contactus/

Chegg.com — Chegg.com

I sent Chegg.com two textbooks in early December. I was told on the website that I would be receiving a...

Chegg.com — False Advertising, Poor Customer Service

I rented with Chegg for about a year but have recently become EXTREMELY dissatisfied with them. In regards to...

Chegg.com — Service is terrible

I rented one book from Chegg.com in August 2009. It is now September and I still haven't received the...

CheggCharged Sales Tax

I have used Chegg in the past and have had no issues. I live in Delaware, one of the 5 US states where sales tax is not changed. I order 3 books this Fall 09 semester and after checkout I noticed I was changed $2.12 for sales tax. I called the customer service number and after being placed on hold three times for about ten minutes total I was told they were refunding the $2.12. If you live on one of the sales tax free states make sure you call to get your money back!

Chegg.com Complaint - Online Textbook Buybackchegg.com complaint - online textbook buyback

chegg.com quoted me that my almost new textbook is worth $16.92 so I printed out their prepaid postage and shipped them my book! Now they email me that the book was received and are only willing to send me a check for $12.72!!! chegg.com is doing a Fraudulent Practice!!!

Chegg.com — Horrible Customer Service

Chegg.com used false advertising to induced me to click on their site in the first place. The low price of...

Chegg.comNever refunded my money!

I placed an order on August 29, 2008. Most of my books arrived in a timely fashion, but a book for a class that I had dropped took over two weeks to arrive. I sent the book back the day after I received it, which was September 19th. I was told that my refund would take a few weeks to process, so I waited until November 9th to contact them. I did not receive a response, so I contacted them again on November 19th. November 20th, I received an email saying my refund has been processed, and should be reflected on my credit card account in 3-4 business days. My statement indicated I never received the refund. I contacted Chegg again on December 23rd, and was told that they never processed the refund, and that they would have to mail a check, which they planned to mail on Monday December 29th. I contacted them again on January 5th, and now they say it will take a few weeks. I have no job, and I really need the $60. They have been unapologetic, and nobody seems to care. I have been late on my car payment, and I was $50 short. Now I have $40 in late fees, which I would not have incurred if Chegg had processed my return two months ago, when the said they would.

jesus.chegg Aug 15, 2011

All you need to do is contact one of the Chegg Student Advocates and they would be able to give you account information about your refund status. Refunds are automatically given for orders that have been returned within the refund window of 21 days from when the order was placed. even if it's a few days after the refund window, they're really helpful!

• Di
                        Disgusted with Chegg Jun 14, 2011

I was referred to this servise, but am contacting the Better business bereau because i rented the books, then returned them in a timely fashion. My $200 refunded was NEVER credited to my account!!! It has been over two months and am STILL chasing my refund, the are FALSE ADVERTISERS and take your FULL money and do not return a credit hoping you will not notice!!! BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!

jesus.chegg May 16, 2011

Hey have you received your money yet? Let me kno. I can help

Chegg.comCustomer Service

I too ordered from Chegg in Fall of 2017 and again in Spring 2017. In the fall I only received 1 book out of 4 ordered and it took them weeks to answer my emails and refund my money. Forget calling the customer service number, no one answers...ever! You get an automated voice telling you to call back later.

I thought I would give them a second chance so again in the Spring 2017 (first week in February 2017) I ordered three books. I paid for priority shipping, one book arrived 5 days later (priority is 2-3 days) and it was the WRONG BOOK, the second is still in transit and it is now day 7 and the third is lost so far.

I have sent 4 emails and NO ONE WILL ANSWER OR ADDRESS MY ISSUES. Do not order from CHEGG.COM, thier customer service is non-existant and you will not get your books that you need for your classes.

• Le
                          Legend Sep 09, 2010

I heard of Chegg.com from a co-worker while I was living in Killeen, Texas. It was the Spring semester of 2017, and I decided to give them a try. Everything was great. Well, I guess the mistake I made was to relocate to Dallas, Texas because I decided to rent my textbooks through Chegg again for the Fall semester. I edited and updated my account information with my new adddress to prevent any mix-ups. I ordered a total of five books. Two of my textbooks were shipped to my old address in Killeen and the other three books were shipped to my new address in Dallas. I was so upset, as the semester had already started and I was behind on my homework assignments. I called Chegg almost daily, and I was always told that a supervisor would have to handle my complaint. The custromer service that I received was very, very poor. I realize that mistakes do happen and it is very possible for shipments to go to the wrong place, but it took TWO weeks for a supervisor to contact me and to finally admit their error. The supervisor offered me a 10 percent discount coupon for a future order! Can you believe that? It is no way that I will rent my textbooks from this company again! I may as well have spent the extra money and purchased my books from the college bookstore or from a company like, Amazon, com. Sometimes cheaper is not always better. To Chegg customer service reps/supervisors: take a tip and be oriented on proper customer service etiquette. Because you need it.

• Jd
                          jdub31 Jun 25, 2010

This company has given me nothing but headaches. I have been trying for over a month to receive my payment for selling them my textbook. Now, they had no trouble processing the textbook when they received it, but now they are "having trouble" sending me my payment. I have been ordering textbooks online for years and never have I had as much frustration and disappointment in a company. I only used this company because it seemed like a new and upcoming company that even plants trees, going green, I guess, but my experience has been a nightmare. Well, I guess you live and you learn, and you must hit a few bumps in the road before you can find the good ones.

• Sc
                          scarlett0225 Oct 28, 2009

received unordered book, really hard to contact customer service, couldn't access site since I didn't have an account and don't know how they could've sent me a book or how I would pay them. trying to navigate their site is horrible and trying to get help, you have to enter a question in this field but after that you enter an infinite loop because the buttons for live chat and call don't work. you have to search the site and end up going to terms of use to find their telephone number, which i then got a message that they weren't open.

• Do
                          doreen373 Mar 14, 2009

I ordered a badge from pogo.com games and already have it, so would appreat it if you would return my gems 16 so I can get something I haven't got. thanks doreen373 e-mail is [email protected]

• Jj
                          jj_mckay Feb 26, 2009

Just had a HORRIBLE experience just attempting to order a book. So glad I had this trouble BEFORE the ordering process because it spared me spending money with this terrible, joke of a company. (Will post my own complaint seperately.)

Chegg — Worst service ever

I also wish I had read some reviews of chegg.com before renting books for them. I did finally receive all...

Chegg.com — Failure to find lost package, trying to charge me for a new book

One of the very worst customer service experiences of my life. Total scammers! First, they sent me the wrong...