Car-Hire-UK.comNon Refund of Deposit

L

In 2017 I hired a car from the above mentioned company. A debit for the full amount was taken from my credit card and 2 weeks before taking the car a £ 670.00 deposit was also deducted from my credit card. The car was taken on 2nd Sept and returned on 29th September with no issues.

Despite about 30 phone calls and emails, and every excuse in the book, we have still not received our £ 670.00 deposit. They do not answer emails and they lie and cheat when on the phone - using every possible excuse.

I fully intend to take this issue further as they are not going to get away with this. Only today have I seen so many other people with the same complaint about the same company.

If you have the same issue please drop me an email.

• Ph
    Phillip Nov 21, 2008

we hired a car from 1car1.com and they charged us the same, apparently if you return the vehicle with any marks or damage they charge you 600.00, i wont use 1car1.com ever again, when you hire a car you should take out the excess insurance.

• Ji
    Jill Nov 26, 2008

I hired a car in the UK Thrifty at Stansted to be exact and was tole some rubbish about buying prepaid fuel, which at the time I did prepay my stupid mistake, no one said any unused portion would be credited I just assumed it would out of courtesy, another mistake, I used a quater tank of fuel and never credit anything back and whats rude is they would have charged the next customer the fuel again, bloody theives and I will NEVER NEVER rent from them again

• Dr
    Dr. Bern Apr 23, 2009

I also got cheated by Car Hire UK, They still keep quite about my deposits(560 GBP) recently.

• Je
    Jerome Oct 16, 2009

I live in Cyprus & needed a car during a trip to the UK. Hired & paid GB£455.50 for a car hire from this internet based company on 18/07/08 for my stay of 16/10 - 02/11/08. On 16/09/08 a further GB£670.00 was taken from my bank account as a "Refundable Deposit". This was GB£600.00 on the car & GB£70.00 diesel. I was assured by the man handing over the car to me at the airport (upon my arrival to the UK) that this deposit would be back in my account within 48 hours of my returning the car at the end of my hire. The car was returned in the same condition as hired. As of today's date (01/12/08) I have not recieved my returnable deposit from this company. Phone calls were initially answered & passed around the office. As of one week ago, they now hang up on all calls from me. I am polite & willing to give any info they require but they seem to not wish to co-operate. We have paperwork to back this up.

• Da
    Davielad Oct 10, 2010

Thrifty/Dollar at Stanstead airport ripped me off for an extra 13.40GBP per day as i had ordered the car from a US website instead of a UK one!, . No mention of these hidden charges on the internet. I had to search for them at the airport, no meet and greet, called the US car hire who gave me the UK number, another 30 minutes stood in cold and rain waiting for the so called courtesy taxi to arrive, i managed to track him down in the car park in the end he said he came for someone else but took me to the office eventually. Attitude of the older woman was servile and she ripped me off trying to sell me an upgraded car which i refused so she then charged me this extra daily insurance charge. Also said i would pay the first 500GBP of any damage!. So was the car insured in the first place?. Do not use them, i will never again.

sandeeppatrika Jul 11, 2011

I hired a car from this company in April 2017. I have been trying ever since returning the car to get my deposit of 670 pounds back without success. I have sent numerous emails and called them more then many times and all I get is promises of a refund but nothing happens.

Is there a Tourist Complants office in the UK. What do I do?

angry.com Aug 16, 2011

I rented a car from this company on 24th May for 2 weeks, after many chasing phone calls they finally collected the car a week late. They charged me £271.66 to hire the car and £690 insurance and fuel deposit which was to be refunded providing the car was returned undamaged and full of fuel. I am still waiting for my refund 2 months later along with many other people. I have called them 12 times, emailed and filled in a complaints ticket 3 times and still no refund. They cut you off when you call them, and don't answer any emails. I have informed my local Trading Standards Office, Consumer Direct, Barclaycard and my next stop is the Police.

• Ga
    gatt Aug 26, 2011

I booked a hire car for 2 days in December 2017 with this company over the internet. I gave my credit card details to someone (I now believe they were in a call center, possibly not in the UK at all) I was met at Heathrow, by a friendly individual called Terry, who took us to the car in the airport carpark. We dropped the car off the following evening in a London Hotel. Terry met us there and took the car - there were no problems with the car. When I got home I saw that my credit card had been overcharged.. The quotation was 131 pounds and my card had been charged 810. I made numerous phone calls, sent emails, even registered letters. The phone system kept me in a queue for over 30 mins and on the two occasions that I spoke to someone, the cut off the call when I explained the situation. I have now sent all the details to HSBC Visa card disputes department and they are investigating.

There are several other reports on the internet of exactly the same situation occurring. I am not going to let this matter drop. If anyone has managed to resolve a similar case, please let me know.

• Ki
    K Icelli Jun 03, 2016

BE WARNED CAR-HIRE-UK.COM iS A DISHONEST AND FRAUDULENT OPERATION EMBEZELLING MONEY FROM HONEST CUSTOMERS USING A CAR HIRE SERVICE AS A FRONT! We are British but residing in Barhain. My wife found this company on the net and booked a weeks care hire for gbp159 for a ford fiesta on the 9th February; only to realise that a deposit has been taken for gbp590 followed by gbp9.99. When we called the company they have admitted it was a mistake and promised to refund the money as soon as possible. We are still unable to account for our money. After various calls and emails we still have not got our refund to date. The call centre staff are trained to provide minimal information, always evasive and non committal with their answers. They never return calls or take any action. The registered address is 156 Masons Hill in Bromley - which is a fradulent address, no one can do anything about. I called the London Met Police, because we are residents outside the UK all they told us is to go to the local police in Bahrain to report the incident and they will forward the case on - which is a totally useless advice to us because the policeforce in Bahrain are not that proactive and are struggling to manage the cases in their own country. In a nutshell we will never get our money from these people.

• TwinkleTwinkle Jun 03, 2016

Would your bank not be able to help? Have you contacted trading standards in the uk to inform them?

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices