Capella UniversityScam

D

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Be
    Beware of Academic Scams Jun 22, 2012

Capella University academic system is fraudulent; not designed to promote educators of higher learning. Unfortunately, I am a recent victim of Capella University - specifically, the educators lack professionalism and if you are in disagreement with any of their behaviors they retaliate against you during the comprehensive examination phase. The minor, ridiculous reasons they state for "not" passing a student in comps is degrading and a discrete to the profession of education. While I went into this program with limited information about their business practices; I genuinely assumed I would gain a higher level of education and become a scholarly-practitioner. Is it a blessing that I did not achieve my PhD from Capella University considering they have a substandard reputation in the academic environment? While I am now in pursuit of another university to complete my journey in pursuit of a PhD; it is with diligence and determination that I will not let the Capella University prevent me from living my dream! I hope now that you have read my post it helps to prevent you from enduring the shame, humiliation, and embarrassment I'm now having to deal with. Good luck to you all!

• Pr
    Private student Mar 18, 2019

@Beware of Academic Scams Did they fail you on the comps, even after taking a writing course, and taking, then rewriting a second semester? Just curious, I am seeing and reading a lot of lawsuits and complaints about the comprehensive exam process, as well as the dissertation process. This seems to be a tell-tale sign, to fail you on the first attempt, then fail you on the rewrite, force you to take a writing course which you will make an "A", then fail you on the second attempt of the comps and also on the rewrite. At that point they throw you out, owing $70, 000 or more for your Ph.D. program that you worked on for over 4 years, most student with a 3.5 or above average. These are the rumors. We shall see.- Soon to try to retake comps but am afraid or being purposely failed. I hope to relocate to new college before I am withdrawn or dismissed after 6 years.

• Ry
    Ryan Robinson Apr 23, 2012

My comment above, I agree and feel Capella University should be shut down by our government. The mentors and professors are all seemingly using this job for extra cash and unaware, or aware, of the damage they are causing other individuals. There are a few good mentors and professors, but the business practices of having students enrolled in two course rooms (one of which is a dummy one) just so the school can get the financial aid is borderline illegal. Your actually only in one course room during the dissertation process but they charge for a whole semester. If they are going to continue this process there should be one sum for the dissertation process and it should not be the same cost as if your a full time student getting multiple courses and responses. The dissertation stage at Capella University is truly a vision of dishonest business practices.

• Ry
    Ryan Robinson Apr 23, 2012

Is there a class action suit against Capella. I am about to give up on my dissertation. I got thru the course work and comps with no problems. I have been in the dissertation stage for two years now and they keep giving me the run around. Long story short, I am on board with whomever sues this entity. They did not prepare students for the end and should issue the diploma at this stage. I am a Phd (abd) and pretty upset at this waste of time. Feel free to inbox me at [email protected] and let me know. I planned on going after them for my tuition after I graduate; but it looks like they may not even allow me to get that far. I know two other family members whom accomplished their PhD's with ease from other universities.

• Ne
    neveragain33 Apr 17, 2012

I am also in the dissertation phase and receiving little help from the Capella staff. I have been working on my dissertation proposal for almost 2 years, due to no fault of my own. It's hard to get any feedback from your mentor or committee members. I am still waiting on feedback for my proposal I submitted last quarter, resulting in me having to request an extension...the 2nd may I add, due to the committee lack of response. Last quarter I submitted my first extension, because the committee took 3 months to review my proposal, then submits feedback suggesting changes, meanwhile I emailed my advisor for some assistance because when I called, they refused to let me speak to MY ADVISOR...well 3 weeks later I still have not received an response from my advisor. This is definetly a school to stay away from, I wish I had never enrolled in capella, they are a complete rip off. 3months of waiting on a committee response costs me 5k..thats a whole quarter of no work and capella receiving free money!!! Let's not forget about this quarter that has just started and I'm still waiting on feedback...STAY AWAY!!! Invest your money somewhere else!

• St
    Stop the Funding Apr 17, 2012

They either screwed up or there is some high commercial value to your project that someone wants. In another case that has come to my attention a student was used as an intellectual workhorse for the instructor and then left to rot at the proposal stage. The worst of it is that the accrediting agency is bought and paid by the university. In the instances of legal action against this institution there are high suspicions of how the court interprets their findings consistently in favor of the influential entity. There is sadly no accountability and when the house and senate repealed the 50 percent rule they threw consumer protections out for their own financial interests. The attorney general has had many complaints but has not as of yet, taken a stance against a place that is providing significant jobs and revenue to the state. Good luck with finding competent legal representation affordably as most firms have represented them or are connected to the pseudo-school in some way. As taxpayers and students we are compelled to hold those who do not function ethically to a consensus standard as our loans are not easily discharged and of course without the degree students hands are tied while they are beaten to a pulp. Absolutely wait until you are done, or you will not obtain what you earned. Also, don't expect help from other frightened students or faculty that need income. The courts in MN have ruled there is no fiduciary duty to a graduate student, however anyone savvy to the dissertation process knows that even with considerable preparation, without direction and signifcant time and efforts by a chair and the entire committee a student is left to flounder and cannot be successful. They literally hold your professional career and personal finances and future in their greedy incapable hands. While there is a research law to investigate these abuses its too late for most.

• Ey
    EyesOpenedButTooLate Apr 16, 2012

I am in the middle of a nightmare with the SOE of the school at this time. I signed up for the PhD program - course work did NOT prepare for Comps OR the Dissertation. I am attending FAR longer than I ever should have. This University should be shut down - going through the dissertation process has been unethical and illegal. 1. Having the first part of the SMR approved with a stated methodology, THEN having the rest of the SMR rejected to be told that the first part that was approved is no longer approved! WTF??!!! 2. Have run out of FAFSA. Have employed a consultation firm that services Harvard PhD candidates - they have written to me to tell me my proposal would have passed Harvard several revisions past. 3. There are not enough faculty to be mentors (chairs) of committees. 4. The so-called 'help' from the mentors you do have is NON-existent. 5. The mentors I and others have had do not make any effort to give constructive criticism. If I hear one more time: "This is your paper, I cannot write it for you" I believe I may look into legal avenues to vent my frustration. Mentors will not meet or speak - they cannot be bothered. 6. The rules are inconsistent within the SOE committees - I have had cohorts that get through in 4 quarters and others (the majority) are strung along. 7. There are STILL students in my class who have not had a committee assembled yet (after 1 year) because there are no faculty available to take them on!!! 8. In my cohort 80% of the students have had 3 or more mentors (chairs) of their committee quit - causing them to find (beg) another over-worked mentor to agree to take them on. This extends the student's time in the dissertation process and more money of course! Most of the mentors have other jobs and the dissertation candidates are low priority - and it shows. 9. There is no built in accountability for the mentors to be present for their mentees. They do this on purpose so the student has no rights. I CANNOT STRESS MORE TO ANYONE READING THIS: STAY AWAY FROM THIS FAKE SCHOOL!!! I have grieved the fact that I transferred from a Great school to attend this mockery of an education. I am a 4.0 student in all the degrees I have attained. This should not be happening to me or to my cohorts that are bemoaning the same grievances I have. However much money it takes to get the PhD I am seeking - I will find it. After I have the diploma in my hand - I will be making an appointment with the State's Attorney General to lodge a formal complaint.

• Pi
    pinkgal4u Mar 13, 2017

@EyesOpenedButTooLate Do you know of any class action lawsuits that students can join as others and myself in the same predicament for the PhD program.

• Dr
    DrMary Sep 20, 2017

@pinkgal4u also looking to sue Capella...on several grounds from fraud to negligence to failure to follow policies. contact me at [email protected]

• Bu
    BurnNotice4U Feb 07, 2011

Hella Capella is what I have heard...

Honestly, you have taken the words out of my l mouth. I got into the Comps with them and they constantly lied to about completions, nobody to speak with about anything ever unless it had to do with increasing their income. It was the worst educational experience I ever had anywhere. They are helpful until they suck you in by deciept, by then it is all about their money not your education. I guess they do not trust their staffs, as they outsource their grading...that is way off base. Do they do anything to benefit student success. I did not know, buyer beware, spend your money on a real school...

Still looking for another institution to finish my PhD. They will waste your money, their colloquiums are a total waste of time and money. Please never waste your time or money here...

ShareholdersFoundation Jan 13, 2011

contact me at Email: [email protected]

• St
    Stop the Funding Dec 29, 2010

Capella University should be shut down. They provide a substandard education and hurt the for-profits that play by the rules. They are getting rich defrauding the consumer and using tax payer funds to support their evil empire. As they have substantial funding at their disposal they can buy off any entity that gets in their way. Multiple complaints against the institution have resulted in pay-offs and gag orders. They have hurt so many people that it's about time the Feds step in and stop the abuse by making these goons accountable. Those who have been egregiously injured deserve ample compensation to offset the damage to their finances, careers, and reputations. In my entire academic and professional career I have never experienced such a disaster. This is an atrocity as they were granted assistance from the state as well as from the government, and were also instrumental in getting the 50 percent rule repealed. Shame on DECA and Congress for letting them remove all consumer protections that the 80's diploma mills made necessary in the first place! As a consumer I am outraged, as a citizen disgusted, and as a higher education professional appalled that they can continue to get away with every brand of self-serving misrepresentation, fraud, and legal redress the courts afford these bad institutions. They are greedy, corrupt and have zero accountability to anyone! The laws are not in place to protect the consumer in acadamia.

sharkbuoy Nov 10, 2010

Stay away from Capella...it is a sweat shop at best, with no redeemable value...

sharkbuoy Nov 10, 2010

I attended Capella University much longer than I should have. Instructors do not know what they are doing. Rarely do you ever get any communication with anyone of value when seeking information about your classes. The value of the education is minimal at best, I would stay clear of this overpriced, narcassistic institutiom. Do not waste 5k every 10 weeks on this institiution.

• Ca
    Capella Fraud Victim Aug 19, 2010

Looking for a Class Action against Capella University.

• John Bass Aug 08, 2017

@Capella Fraud Victim Don't be fooled by these compensated capella employees to (now) comment on here and attempts to cover their [censor]!

"an investigation on behalf of former and current students of capella education company (nasdaq:cpla) and its capella university, was announced in connection with the report by the government accountability office with the title"for-profit colleges: undercover testing finds colleges encouraged fraud in deceptive and questionable marketing practices."

Capella is an online postsecondary education services company. it operates through its wholly owned subsidiary, capella university. capella education company faces an investor lawsuit filed on behalf of those who purchased common stock of capella education (cpla) between february 16, 2010 and august 13, 2010 against capella education company over alleged violations of federal securities laws. the lawsuit followed a report by the u. s. government accountability office with the title “undercover testing finds colleges encouraged fraud and engaged in deceptive and questionable marketing practices” which detailed undercover investigations into 15 for-profit schools that uncovered misconduct by school staff.
    On august 4, 2010, the senate health, education, labor, and pensions committee conducted a hearing on for-profit education firms, where government accountability office representative, george kutz, presented the findings of report gao-10-948t,"for-profit colleges: undercover testing finds colleges encouraged fraud in deceptive and questionable marketing practices."the report detailed undercover investigations into 15 for-profit schools that uncovered misconduct by school staff. according to this gao study, the college personnel at schools owned by education management corp. may have encouraged applicants to falsify their financial aid forms to qualify for federal aid and pressured applicants to sign a contract for enrollment prior to allowing them to speak to a financial advisor.

According to the investigation by a law firm former and current students of strayer education, inc. (nasdaq:stra) and its strayer university may have material information concerning those allegations and may be eligible to file a complaint for allegedly misleading students.

Also whistleblowers may according to the law firm be able to assist or file their own complaint. under the dodd-frank wall street reform and consumer protection act signed into law in july the sec can award between 10 percent and 30 percent of any monetary sanctions of more than $1 million to whistleblowers who provide “original information” leading to a successful sec enforcement, so the law firm. whistleblowers may remain completely anonymous and work with the sec through an attorney. under the new law, so the investigation, whistleblowers are also granted expanded rights and protections against employer retaliation when disclosing information of corporate wrongdoing to the sec.

Recently the attorney general of florida bill mccollum launched an investigation into some for-profit education companies. on october 19, 2010, the wall street journal reported that florida attorney general's office has launched an investigation into five for-profit colleges, including four publicly traded schools, seeking information on potential misrepresentations in financial aid, recruitment and other areas. the state is reportedly looking into allegations at washington post co.'s (wpo) kaplan inc. — including its kaplan university, kaplan educational centers and kaplan college units — and at education management corp.'s (edmc) argosy university, apollo group inc.'s (apol) university of phoenix; corinthian colleges inc.'s (coco) everest college and privately held medvance institute."

• John Bass Aug 09, 2017

@Capella Fraud Victim Contact:
    [email protected]
    for class action lawsuit against this scam "school", and to shut this corporate greed, crap "school" down, FOR GOOD!

• Tr
    trixxu1 Dec 28, 2018

@Capella Fraud Victim I would like to be included in a class action. This was a nightmare that I will pay for
    a long time.

• Bm
    BMtown May 10, 2019

@trixxu1 I was considering taking online courses. After reading all the reviews, I am skeptical about the University.