Menu
Capella University
reviews & complaints

Capella University
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

80 complaints
13 resolved 67 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Capella University. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:33 am EST

Capella University - Fraud and horrible school

Capella lied to me after I completed all the traditional classes for a PHD program and would not allow me to submit a dissertation or take the final exam. I am out $100, 000 + and have 15 worthless classes. Capella only asks for more money to take a Masters degree. What about the 15 PHD classes with a 4.0 GPA Capella? Capella's answer is that I can transfer 4 of the PHD level classes for a few of the masters program. 4 classes then what I pay for more classes just for you to not to allow to submit the dissertation for a masters. Then NO school will accept any transfer credits from Capella. DO NOT GO TO CAPELLA! If anyone has issues please spread the word and also file with the BBB. I filed and awaiting feedback from Capella. Capella should not be A+ with the BBB. They should F-. AVOID Capella University. The education is horrible and the staff is arrogant and will not make any decisions or answer any questions directly. Just a bunch of lawyers working at Capella.

2 comments
Jul 27, 2020 5:11 pm EDT

Have you received word from the BBB? I need to begin this process.

Carol DeLoatch
cdeloatch@live.com

Nov 21, 2014 9:02 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

If students are not successful at the end of a program it is entirely the fault of the school for either bilking them of their financial aid, or there is something else going on you are unaware of. They know it is nearly impossible to take them to task alone or fight their millions as the LAWS AREN'T IN PLACE TO PROTECT STUDENTS. This is especially true now as MN has ruled in 2009 there is no fiduciary duty to you which is misguided justice and unethical crap. Your committee and chair hold your future professional life (thus personal finances) in their hands. You can complain to the state attorney general and ombudsman office or credentialing body which does nothing. Be sure you exhaust their biased academic standards committee and do not accept a master's. Since these are well, researchers they know they are completely incapable of policing themselves which is why an alternative dispute resolution should be required if they seek funding. If a person is not provided with what they need to complete successfully, it's the schools responsibility who accepted them in the first place. If they can get the money they are in, there is no other criteria unfortunately, so the system then breaks down. Tons of terrible dissertations from this big business. Online courses don't always transfer; especially towards a license. It is up to the school to inform their candidates, and to provide what is needed such as cohorts to lend support. The ROI on the degree is totally compromised, and see Harkin report below. Bottom line is that all schools MUST be held accountable not just students for Title IV aid. Nothing can happen until Congress stops taking the graft and definitively ACTS in the benefit of the country, and in the interests of the students who have trusted them and those institutions. The next big bubble is happening right now and will impact the entire economy in the same way as the 2008 housing scam.

Capella spent $1, 650 per student on instruction in 2009, compared to $4, 538 per student on marketing and $2, 912 on profit.1313 The amount that publicly traded, for-profit companies spend on instruction ranges from $892 to $3, 969 per student per year.1314 In contrast, public and non-profit 4-year colleges and universities generally spend a higher amount per student on instruction. By comparison, on a per student basis, the University of Minnesota spent $13, 247 per student on instruction, and University of Saint Thomas spent $11, 361 per student.1315

See links in the article at URL for more info and the report. It isn't a party issue but a corrupt Washington. If Harkin has had all this information for over two years where is the action? They know. The new Senate ed bill is missing general students academic rights & IP research protections. However every single special interest group that affords them an additional paycheck is clearly item delineated.

H
5:58 pm EDT

Capella University - Comp exam grade

The school gave me an NS grade on my comp exam after having a 4.0GPA and answering the question correctly. I have to pass to move on to my dissertation. After spending $90K they have tried to take my money and run! They asked what the difference was between leadership and management in an education setting? However, they stated that "I did not use the correct authors in the answer. They did not ask this in the question nor in the grading rubric did they ask for specific authors and gave me an NS grade based on this. They have not given me a fair and just appeal with the "committee" that was formed. Stay away from this school. I am for a class action lawsuit against this school if someone is interested please contact me.

6 comments
Jan 16, 2016 12:01 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I agree 100% wait till you finally get through comps, the dissertation potion is a joke.. Trust me, I am seeking an attorney as I type.. Took me 6 years to finally get a professor to help me with my dissertation. The first one I had tols me to take a writing course, really, why then did I pass al my classes with a 4, 0 except for one... They kept taking my money and doing nothing, , , ,

Jan 03, 2016 11:08 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Fully agree as I'm in the same boat. Is there anything we can do?

Nov 02, 2015 10:35 pm EST

I have had the same experience with the my comprehensive exam. I rewrote the answers only to be failed. I believe this comprehensive exam plan is a scam, but hard to prove. We need to collect all responses to the questions because I believe they would be the same.
Chris

Oct 17, 2015 9:57 pm EDT

Wow. Here I am with the same issue. 4.0 GPA and failed all 3 questions and it is noticeable that one of the readers didn't read my answers or my rewrite. My sister just past her exam with another university and couldn't believe we were subject to being judged by the opinion of 3 strangers. I have spent all of my funds and feel as if they have dropped me into a whole without a way out.
Michelle

Jun 30, 2015 5:18 am EDT

Please contact me. Also had a similar experience,
Angela

F
Mar 26, 2015 8:46 am EDT

Please contact me. I have a very similar situation.

B
9:50 am EDT

Capella University - Still billing after 3 years of complaints and class dropped

I tried to take a online course the teacher was like 19 and would not help just kept saying do it over until the third week i dropped after multiple complaints by phone and email then i was billed over three thousand dollars student loans then i am paying it off they sent another bill destroying my credit for 1035 out of nowhere it is credit terrorism fraud and scam they never refunded my funds said i could not drop class still billed me for full course even though i dropped the class

9:00 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

After attending this university for 4 years with a 4.0, in my LAST course a teacher by the name of Sanaa Reynolds failed me. A kid with a PhD and an elitest attitude. She will not get the last word and I am moving forward with contacting students who have been duped by Capella University allowing predatory practices. I filed numerous complaints with the...

Capella University - phd program

Good morning, my name is Jose Angel Ciceraro.
I have been deceived and duped by Capella University. When I joined Capella seven
years ago it was truly a university focused on the student. Unfortunately that is not the case.

I have been a “learner” for seven years. In the seven year time frame I suffered numerous personal setbacks; I lost my business, home, suffered three bouts of unemployment and yes homelessness. Still I had the presence of mind to continue in my PhD program. I went hungry, slept on a dirty garage floor, but I still stayed enrolled in Capella!

My wife recently suffered two strokes, her mobility is limited to a wheel chair most of the time. I asked Capella an extension on the PhD requirements. I was informed “No”. “The catalog stipulates seven years, we have options for learners but they do not include family members.” I expected that due to my special circumstances some flexibility would be afforded by Capella. That was not the case. I have lost seven years of my life, $120, 000 and nothing to show for it. I took extra classes based on an ad visors recommendation to achieve a certification in Public Health. On 14 March 2014 I
was informed by Capella that they did not offer a certificate in public health.
The mistake by Capella cost me over $12, 000!

The Capella solution is that I apply for readmission for a Master’s
Degree! I already have one. I will not spend another dime on Capella. To add
insult to injury, Capella is charging me a $50.00 application fee.

The truth of the situation came out in my conversation with Mr. Tessnier (spelling ?). I have maxed out my student loans therefore I’m no longer worthy of the PhD program. This would be in a sense more palatable if I was an average student. I have a 3.75 average, even with all of the difficulties that life threw at me.

Capella has become a degree mill. They are heartless. I tried talking to the chair of my department and I never received a reply. It is simple you maxed out your student loan potential and you no longer are worthy. I’m seeking other students who might be involved in a class action against Capella. I’m willing to go to the news media and report this egregious wrong.

Jose Angel Ciceraro, MPA, CERT

Member of: International Association of Emergency
Managers, International Society of Infectious Diseases, National Honor Society
for Public Administration, United Nations Disaster Relief Committee"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization,
it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

Contact Information: Cell [protected], E-mail [protected]@gmail.com

5 comments
Aug 05, 2016 9:51 am EDT

I am in the process of possibly filing a class action suit against Capella, if you are interested in joining my e-mail is rblowe2@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2019 9:20 pm EST

I am interested.

K
May 27, 2016 5:13 am EDT

I would be willing to chat with you as I have a similar circumstance only I am the one who had the stroke.

Dec 21, 2019 9:21 pm EST

I am interested

Oct 17, 2015 10:07 pm EDT

Would like to discuss them.

8:13 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was in a PhD program. Dissertation Phase in Business & Technology. In this case, I submitted my proposal for approval. Due to inefficiencies and University faculty error (provable-All records are available via email), the University withdrew me. I am out $120 K of student loans. I need my money to pay the student loans. They give me no straight answer. I...

P
11:16 pm EST

Capella University - Comp exam rip off

If anyone is planning a lawsuit or investigation, please count me in. I have finished all coursework for a PhD in General Psychology with a 3.8 GPA. Upon taking the comp exam last term, I failed on the initial attempt and had to rewrite. My rewrite went to a tiebreaker, meaning one reader gave a grade of pass, and the second, fail. The tiebreaker, who I feel by comments made, was the same as one in my initial exam, gave a fail. Hence, I failed the exam. Some of the comments I received was (comma error, pronoun agreement, etc.) I did not realize the content of my answer was not as important as whether I misplaced a comma or semicolon. I am presently taking a writing course, in order to be able to retake the exam next term. The course is elementary at best, and in no way teaching what Capella describes as scholarly writing. This is so frustrating after spending 3 years and thousands of dollars.
Please contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com if you're interested in hearing more about my experience thus far.

Pamela Campbell

4 comments
H
Aug 20, 2014 3:28 pm EDT

I completed all course work and my mentor passed my comp exam but one or bother of the other readers did not. I was not allowed to even know the names of these readers, their qualifications, or respond to their comments. Being a doctoral level student having done extensive research working diligently creating a 50 page research document in four weeks, and rewriting to comments in two weeks, without being able to have more than a few sentences of comment from people you do not even know, if they even exist is ridiculous.

E
Jan 16, 2014 6:53 pm EST

This is for Pamela Campbell. I had an identical experience.

Your email: redapplecon@yahoo.com isn't working.

I've written to you but can't send it.

Another pissed off ex-learner

L
Jan 16, 2014 11:41 am EST

I had the same experience with Capella as PhD student. Comp Exam rip off is exactly what it is!

W
Dec 13, 2013 8:17 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Settled with 1000's of dollars in debt that school made hard to achieve.

P
1:08 pm EDT

Capella University - Fraud

I attended Capella for 7 years, was in the middle of my Disertation phase of a Ph.D in Psychology, when suddenly my research project was rejected. I am left with 100 thousand plus debt, no degree and nothing to show for all my work. I am organizing a class action lawsuit. Anyone interested email me at [protected]@comcast.net. We have 6 right now and a willing lawyer. Paula

Update by Paulalz
Apr 28, 2014 1:34 pm EDT

'Stop the Funding has been reported for SPAM

3 comments
Jan 16, 2017 9:48 am EST

I have similar case with you and to top that I was not credited semester quarters when I was deployed.

Maybe we can collectively file a case.

Apr 12, 2014 1:44 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Don't forget to tell them that you are going to use every name and email you got from me and this board to enrich yourself. Class reps make lots of money on lucrative cases. Troll.

Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am EDT

I attended the school for two weeks, with drew, received a check back and five years later I have a collection agent calling saying I owe them money. The amount is 1300.00 my husband said to pay so they will stop calling but I do not owe them. I have a master degree and a debt of 75, 000 and I pay my student loans back every month. I would not recommend this school to my worst enemy. I am a transfer counselor for high school and college age students and I warn them of schools like this.

3:47 pm EDT

Capella University - False accusations

In 2011 I attended a Residency for my Master's Degree. Capella University was allowing and intern to give unsupervised and feedback that had no theoretical merit. I was falsely accused when I complained and kicked out of the mental health program. I had been attending the mental health program since 2009 with a 3.8 grade point average. It is a shame that I now have to repay students loans with no degree.

3 comments
Apr 12, 2014 2:38 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Beware of class action reps as they get paid a lot more than you. Look out for all those who are going to save you for that is how they enslave you. Angermaster tells you what you want o hear so she can barter your info for her own financial gain. She's a newbie..

J

A similar situation ocured to me. This university is heartless

Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm EDT

There ought to be a way to register a complaint.

7:37 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Capella university had the soe and three doctors say that a dissertation proposal was awesome and had me work on it for two years. Editing, rewriting, gathering information, getting forms together, and then I needed to submit it to the irb. Now remember this is two years of everyone saying yes, great idea, good proposal, and the head of the soe approving...

11:55 am EDT

Capella University - Ripoff

I disagree about the worth of this university... Save tons of money and go to a public institution. Watch out for all the promotions... Beware of advertising of employment outlook... They have no actual figures of graduate success. These degrees might get you promoted if you are already in the particular field, but otherwise you'll leave with huge loans and little actual job opportunities.
When we complain, the university calls us "the vocal minority" and remove us from the university's blog rooms and label us as "spam."

Capella University - Minneapolis, MN

Enrolled at Capella after they acknowledged that I qualified for financial aid to cover classes. Four weeks into classes, I was told that I really didn't qualify and that I might as well not even attempt to finish the class because there is no financial aid to cover it. Next thing I knew, they were billing me for$6600. They said that they enrolled me and said I qualified for fin aid without even knowing if I did or not. Now they want me to pay for their mistake. I didn't finish the classes, owe them $6600, and they are threatening to put on my credit and take to collections. BEWARE! They are a complete scam. They will not let me talk to anyone in their business office, and they just keep threatening me. DO NOT ATTEND CAPELLA UNIVERSITY

2 comments
Sep 12, 2012 8:23 pm EDT

The Capella university is a complete and utter disgrace to the American Learner! They go so far as to discriminate against disabled students after they are enrolled! How low can you go. GWB is nothing bad compared to these cowards!

Jun 27, 2012 3:55 pm EDT

I had a very similar experience with Capella. In Feb 2011 filled for financial aid to finish would should have been my last year of classes. I never received a response from them about how much aid I would be receiving until I questioned them about it in May 2011, I was told to go ahead and fill out the MPN for loans. Then when summer quarter started two weeks into the the quarter I was told I was unable to get the loans, so I dropped the class. I told them I didn't have the money to pay out of pocket, there was no way I would be able to kept attending school. They wanted to charge me the for the two weeks of class I had attended, I kept receiving harassing phone calls.

So being a glutton for punishment, I decided to attempt to go back for the [protected], it has been nothing but a nightmare trying to filling out the stuff for financial aid. I filled out the FAFSA in 2/2012, MPN 3/2012, yet they now claim they never received these items. Funny because the FAFSA and Government Student loan websites both should the information had been processes and sent to them.

D
10:33 pm EDT

Capella University - Shareholder class action

L.R. Hodges & Associates, Ltd. is a licensed private investigation firm working on behalf of the counsel representing shareholders of Capella Education Company in a shareholder class action complaint against Capella and certain individual defendants. L.R. Hodges & Associates, Ltd. has been retained to investigate facts related to the litigation. To that end, we are interested in speaking with former students of Capella about recruiting, enrollment, financial aid and other experiences that may be relevant to the class allegations. If you are interested in speaking with us, we can be reached at [protected] ext. 107 – we appreciate the chance to speak with you.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

An investigation on behalf of former and current students of Capella Education Company (NASDAQ:CPLA) and its Capella University, was announced in connection with the report by the Government Accountability Office with the title "For-Profit Colleges: Undercover Testing Finds Colleges Encouraged Fraud in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices." If...

D
5:11 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am done with my coursework at Capella. Managed to pull a 3.8 gpa and just finished comprehensive exams. I must say the further I got into the program the more "worried" I became. I complained about an instructor once, and so did many other students in my class. This teacher never logged on and failed everyone with zero feedback, changed her rubric etc...I...

9:13 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This school says they are a real school. But takes $1.000's in loans and aid and only fells a lot of the kids. I owe around $6.000 for this school and worked very hard but was only gaven F's..Its a scam..!!!

9:15 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Stay as far away from this poor excuse of a school. Unfortunately, as other individuals have complained, Crapella will hound and promise you anything to get you to enroll and when you do, it is all about money!! I completed my doctorate and when I received their "diploma" it felt like a slap in the face. It was a piece of common cardboard with and looked...

F
5:19 pm EDT

Capella University - Ripoff

Capella is a joke!

Do yourself a favor, DON’T GO! Your local university and community college will have many great options for your educational needs. They will have online classes, night classes, condensed classes that last 5, 8, 10 weeks at a time. In addition, they will offer summer and winter classes too.

In today’s world, if you want a real degree you can get one from a real school.

Capella and me!

First! They are excessively expensive.

Second! No convenient and I say this because the teachers get back to you in 2, 3, and 4 days after asking a question. I thought an online school would be better for my situation. I was wrong because if I had time to devote to a class and had a question, the teacher would get back to me after the work was do. This would also cause me to be behind because I was in need of some clarification and could not move forward.

Third! The support and library is of no help. I never really got anyone on the phone that could help me. It was always “sorry sir, the business librarians that can help are out, away, or helping others”.

Fourth! One teacher I had was a marking consultant and I believe was just teaching the class to promote it on her website. In other words, “I am a marking consultant and a professor at a major university so hire me because I have credibility”.

I know you want a degree but this is not the way to do it. I know what you are thinking, it will be different for me, I will give it a shoot and see, or everyone is bitter.

Last word! I took some classes and dropped out because real schools can fit into my schedule. I spent the next 8 months fighting because they took additional loan money for a semester I never attended.

8:07 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been enrolled in this university for some time now and my time there was spent doing middle school work with no student support from this school. Let's just say for half of the time enrolled at this school their website has been down. I called tech suport and told them the problem, they were not any help. They told me when the site is down they can't...

7:57 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I contacted Capella University about Ph.D. classes in business, and was hard-sold by their 'counselors' who called me and pressured me to enroll. The per credit cost I was originally quoted was increased after my first term. They also did not mention the additional costs of attending required residential colloguia, which add a hug amount to the cost of a...

Capella University contacts