Cameraaddict.comRipoff

L

I ordered an expensive digital camera, advertised on the website at 1/2 price what's in the local photo store. As I can see now, it was a typical scam this company is doing for years without any intervention from the city/state or even federal bodies.
The product arrived, but finally I was charged TWICE the amount. There's no way to contact the company - most of their email addresses are invalid, and there's no response for the the only email appears to be working. Their phone number has a "Full message box. Thank you for calling. Good-bye!", so no way to contact by phone nor leave a message.

Just to let you know: it's a Jewish-operated company (they seem to cover almost all the camera-selling business today). Please understand, no offense here, just a simple fact statement. So you know whom you dealing with.

Overall experience - arogance, scam, betrayal - they should be out of business, possibly answering to the State Persecutor.
Avoid them like the Plague!!!

This company is registered under the name "Broadway Photo", and is operating the following sub-companies:

www.bwayphoto.com
www.thedigitalexpo.com
www.tronicity.com
www.wilddigital.com

AVOID THEM ALL!!!
Or - if you a masochist - go ahead, and buy from them.

More Cameraaddict.com Complaints & Reviews

• De
    Debby H. Apr 17, 2007

I placed and order with Cameraaddict.com on a Friday – I received an email telling me to call in to confirm my order, the phone just rang and rang. That following Monday I called again and now I received a phone message indicating that the company was on holiday until that Wed.

I emailed my cancellation of the order and I tried again the phone numbers and ext. to customer service. I left two messages indicating I didn’t want the camera anymore as I haven’t gotten any communication from them at all. I called today which is five days later and someone picks up the customer service line then hangs up.

• Se
    sean May 20, 2007

This is called a bait and switch company, contact your Credit card company immediately and cancel your CC.

• Vf
    VF Jun 25, 2007

I placed an order through cameraaddict.com and then called in reply to the confirmation email. I was harassed by the man on the other end of the line. HE asked me over 10times if I wanted to buy a new battery for the camera, after saying no another 5times he told me the camera I purchased was in Japanese. I'm not stupid, the camera was not in Japanese. I finally canceled the order and then called back to confirm that the order was canceled. Ridiculous service.

Mario Flores Oct 29, 2007

On 10/20/07 I ordered a Canon EOS 40D from www.cameraaddict.com. I have the order confirmation and thank you note for cameraaddict saved in case it needs to be reviewed. This is the one body-only Canon 40D available in their web site.

A few days later I received an e-mail asking to call them to confirm the shipping address. When I did, and after being offered batteries, and lenses, I was asked "What language" I wanted the camera to use, to which I replied either English or Spanish. At that point I was advised that I wanted the US model then, not the Japanese model, and that the US model was about $300 more expensive ($859 vs $1150). The sales representative proceeded to state that the camera advertised is a Japanese-only model, in Japanese language, and using chargers and plugs that do not work in the US.

www.cameraaddict.com does not state anywhere in their web site that this camera is a Japanese model, neither does the order confirmation or the thank you note. In fact, a US model cannot be found in their site. This is poor selling practice and trying to trick the customer into spending more money after an agreement has already been reached by giving credit card numbers and placing the order.

Don't buy from this place!

• Ni
    nick mehta Nov 07, 2007

This cameraaddict.com is very untrustworthy company.

I ordered canon g9, I was sent confirmation # and all info, then suddenly got an email telling me that camera is out stock, I phone from different # and ask for canon g9 then clerk said they have in stock.

I think they do not want to sale product to customer who buy only camera where they might be making less profit, however if you order with lots of extra then they will sale that camera.

This is bad company stay away from them. they do not accept email, give wrong email address.

• Al
    aluisio jose de castro neto Nov 13, 2007

I bought a nuvi 250 gps system on Nov 11th. Next day I received an email asking for verification. That should be done by phone. I tried twice without success. All the times I left message with my name, phone and order numbers. No feedback. In the third time, one day after the first call, after a long wait finally somebody answered. They said I should make a choice of purchasing a package with accessories (+ US$ 74) or canceling. They tried to trick me because some of the offered accessories are part of the product like the power cable. I loose my time and best deal with other site.

• Mi
    michael mcglaughlin Nov 21, 2007

Avoid cameraaddict.com. First they bait you in with lower product prices. Then once they have you're order and cc info, you're asked to call them to confirm. At that time, they pump you to buy more products. Once you tell them you don't need their 'extras', they contrive a reason, eg this model is the foreign version, to get you to cancel. To sell the american version the price is not surprisingly higher. Also, they don't reveal their agents name when asked. I'll pay extra for the piece of mind someplace else.

My next stop is www.ftc.gov to file a complaint.

• Th
    Thad Nov 22, 2007

Thank you all!

• Rr
    R. Rajagopal Nov 29, 2007

I ordered a cannon g9 and long lasting battery. I was asked to call. when contacted, I was told that it would take 12 hrs. to charge in the original included charger, I should buy a rapid charger. I was also told shipping is free. Camera's cost supposed to be $366/, Total I was charged $595.93. When I questioned about shipping charges of $29.99, I was told that this was insurance charge.I realized, that the battery charged within 1 1/2hrs. or less on the origional charger, I wanted to return the battery charger but I was told that I could not return as the package was a bundle, which I was not told. If I returned the whole package, I would be charged $60/ restocking fee.After I told the that I am going to ask the credit companyt hold the payment, I was sent few small items cleaning kit which was leaking, 2g memory card,camera case for exchange of the recharger, which I am supposed to return at my cost, but would not consider credit. This company is very deceptive in its practices, hope this type of rip off practices can be stopped

• Rr
    R. Rajagopal Nov 30, 2007

I recntly filed complaint, not shown here.
    cameraaddict is untrustworthy, deceptive, rip-off, hopefully lot of customers will realize and avoid this store, had bad experience

• Do
    don wadhams Dec 01, 2007

Company forces you to contact sales person after placing on line order. If you do not order additional high-priced accessories, the company refuses to honor the order for the basic camera. Clearly fraudulent business practices. Company should be shut down.

• Lu
    Luke Zeng Dec 04, 2007

Same happened to me, they bait me with a low price camera, and they later said the product is back ordered, and when I called, they just give me all kinds of phony reasons that I should buy the more expensive one, and they tried to get me to cancel my order.

• Ph
    Phil Smurr Dec 06, 2007

Here is what I sent Camera Addict or whatever you want to call them:

Cancel order immediately!!!

I am so disappointed in your company and the lack of any customer service. First, I placed the order with no mention of any backlog and should have canceled immediately when your "helpdesk" person named Harry was very impolite. I called to confirm my online purchase and told Harry that I wanted the new reduced price of the Samsung TV. He said he could not do that and did not have a supervisor or would not transfer me to another person. My business did not mean much to him and was told I would have to call back if I wanted to talk to someone else. Talked to a supervisor who gave us the sale price but no mention of a backorder. The next day the email of a backorder arrived with no mention of how long. Called to check with notification from same supervisor that it would be 2-3 weeks and we decide we could wait because of the good price. We called back today to check status and slammed with a new backorder date of "at least 6-8 weeks". Give me a break! This transaction has rated as the worst online nightmare I have ever had to deal with.

Again, I will expect an email by tomorrow that this order has been officially canceled. I would also recommend you take a hard look at your customer service. Price will not be my #1 concern in the future with the reputation of a company clearly looked at.

• Ro
    Robert Kasle Dec 10, 2007

First you order a camera that cameraaddict.com prices lower than others, then you get an email saying you have to "confirm" the order. When you call the number they either do not answer, you get v-mail or you finally do get a real person. They tell you that the camera you ordered is an "import" from China and to get the "American" versions costs more. If you do not agree they are rude, forcing you to cancel your order. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

• Ju
    Julie Dec 10, 2007

I just bought a camera from CameraAddict.com. I did a search for coupons before I bought it and then I found a site where a person was complaining about them. They said they were so mad because when they called into the company to confirm the email they received they tried to sell them everything. When they politely declined they received an email explaining that their order was on back order... of course.

Stupidly I proceeded anyway. I got my confirmation email... then I got an email where I had to call them (sound familiar) and verify my information. I did. While on the phone I was told how the camera battery only holds about 15 minutes of a one time use only battery and I should upgrade. I explained I did not want to because I did not know what length of a battery I wanted. I was very polite. He said ok... was a bit more pushy and then said 'is there anything else I can do for you today?' I said "yes, can you please put me on your internal do not call list" (this way legally they can not call me anymore, I work for a calling company so I know about ut) He was confused at first and then said, "yup"... and hung up on me. I just got "my orders is back ordered emailed" interesting... I will attempt to cancel, or I will follow the advice above and cancel my order via my credit card.

• Ba
    barry cullen Dec 14, 2007

I ordered a camera from this company online. They e-mailed me 2 days later asking me to "verify" the order, despite being told to ship the item being ordered to same address as the credit card. I called them and they attempted to sell me a number of "accessory packages" to boost the price substantially. I advised that I wasn't interested in anything but the camera. Next they put me on hold for 20 minutes. I called back with the order # and again, on hold for > 20 minutes. I tried e-mailing (15 times), and a dozen more phone calls - even requesting the sales manager or supervisor. Again - put on hold. I find this company entirely unethical and phony - would never do business with them again !

• Gs
    gs1 Dec 17, 2007

LIARS... BAIT and SWITCH... CROOKS
    I bet anything that the good reviews on other sites are from company guys. Its the usual experience for everyone...order and get a mail to call... then the sales rep who is not only rude (understatement) but also one who threatens. After i asked them to cancel the order because he lied to me that cacorder doesnt come with a battery (imagine that...do they think ppl r idiots? and buy stuff w/o knowing?) he asked me to apologize (when he was the one who was rude) or he'll keep the phone down and charge 180$ (for nothing!!!)

i suspect they are just there to harass people...a set of SAIDSTS or worse IDENTITY THIEVES bcause if its just money they want to cheat on they could have let the order thro' and overcharged... but they make u call and talk utter rubbish on the other end w/o respect for age or gender.
    Its HORRID.

Lesson: THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH...
    dont even dream of getting something for less than 70% its value.
    ONLY BUY FROM REPUTED sources.

• Pe
    Peter Hwang Dec 19, 2007

After I placed an order for Canon Powershot G9(Digital Camera) they sent e-mail asking for verification. I called that number and no body answers it. Another time. After waiting for 10 minutes they hang up on me. When I called 1-800 number they told me that I have to pay for the Battery pack for $120 extra and said that battery does not come with the Camera. which is contrary to the new camera package, the new camera package that comes with manufacturer does contain battery. They also said that Germany version will cost extra and wanted to charge $560 which I ordered internet for $330. They are fraud!

James Liguori Dec 21, 2007

Yep, real bad. Their 'great' reviews are all fraudulent. They called me and got an extra $80 for a battery 'option' that was included as standard in the Sony box! Real slimebags.

• Fl
    Florence Arcilla Dec 24, 2007

They are a fraud. I got the same email to confirm my order but I guess I didn't call early enough that they called me. While trying to sell me stuff for half an hour I just told him that I wasn't interested and only wanted what I ordered. And then I told them I wanted to cancel my order and they wouldn't let me. I told them when they send me my package I will just return it.

JOHN MILLER Dec 31, 2007

What drew me to the website was their fantastic price and free shipping. I went online to purchase a camcorder a few days ago. After checking out, I immediately received an email message from them stating that I needed to call them to confirm my purchase. I called them and gave my order number. Their employee was pleasant and nice... at first. After declining the purchase of additional batteries (he stated that the one that came with the camcorder lasts only 5 minutes), in-car chargers, and then warranties; he started getting irritated. Finally, he asked if I would like to, instead, purchase the American version of the camcorder. I asked him to repeat himself. He stated that the camcorder I was purchasing was the Japanese version with nothing in English. I said that their website did not explicitly state they were selling a PAL version or a Japanese version. He replied that it did not say we were getting an American version, which costs much more than the advertised price. I prefer not to deal with gimmicks, deception, and bait advertising; so, I asked their employee to cancel my order.

• Kh
    khanh b. nguyen Jan 07, 2008

Worst bait-and-switch experience I have had on the web.

They were offering a Panasonic SDR-H18 at $389, a very low price compared the $450 or so at the other sites. After I made the purchase, I received an email to call to verify the order - sounds like a good thing.

When I did call, I was told that the camera did not come with a battery. Fine, 3 hour battery for $79. I was then put on hold for 10 minutes. The sales person then returns and said that the camera does not come with a charger, which I can purchase for $59. At this point, I simply told them to cancel the order.

Hopefully this will prevent a few buyers from wasting their time with this disreputable company.

• Ha
    Harry Espey Jan 08, 2008

Company advertised fantastic price online for Sony HDTV. I placed order, then received email saying I had to call to complete the order. I was told I had to order their wall mount, a special cable, pay extra for warranty, and pay 3.5% shipping insurance. They lied about the accessories that I needed. Their cost escalated by $500. When I called back 12 hours later to cancel, they said it had already been shipped and had charged my credit card. This was also a lie.

• Di
    DigitalDave Jan 15, 2008

Absolutely fraudulent company that advertises great prices then never delivers product - unless, perhaps, you buy all the junk they try to sell you when you call to find out where you order is. Order status calls result in a hang-up after being on hold 2-3 times with bogus call transfers.

Save yourself time and trouble - never, ever, do business with these idiots.

• Wa
    WARREN RICHARDSON Jan 15, 2008

Do not even consider buying from this merchant.
    I ordered a camera, after difficulty reaching I Googled them.
    I found several sites complaining about them.
    I called and cancel.

• Fr
    Frederick Pratter Jan 20, 2008

I wish I had checked this site before buying. CameraAddict.com offered the lowest price on the Web for my Sony TV; that should have made me suspicious. When I called I found that the price did not include shipping, warranty or anything else. By the time I was through I wound up paying $1100 more for the TV than the advertised price. I paid a substantial premium for delivery in 2-3 business days and the set took two weeks to arrive! These people are liars, in particular Scott the salesperson I spoke with. Also, as others have noted they don't answer their phone and their Web site, which supposedly offers order status information, doesn't work. Buy from a reputable merchant. It will wind up costing you less in the long run.

• Pc
    P Colt Jan 22, 2008

Placed order for a Sony camera. I was told to call to confirm the order. When I finally got to talk with somebody they told me the camera I wanted was the Japanese version, all in Japanese, not English. Also that the battery was a starter battery and only good for 20 minutes. ALso order would be shipped in 4 to 5 weeks. Nowhere do they state that the price for the product reflects these issues, they are engaging in fraud and deceptive trade practices based on the fact that there are no clarifying disclaimers in their offer for sale.

Also my email to cancel the order (per their instructions, "the order must be canceled by email"), each email to them to cancel is returned as "undeliverable".

Consequently I have had to cancel my credit card that I placed the order with them.

Be very wary!

• Al
    Albert A. Shemo Jan 27, 2008

I got sucked in like the rest of them. Couldn't get a hold of them for 22 days after ordering saying no such comfirmation number existed and the no zip code. Bogus email address and after their sales pitch paid more than I wanted to. They should be put out of business.

• Ri
    Richard Palmer Jan 28, 2008

this company should not be allowed in the world of e-commerce. My order was held up because of their demand for additioinal information which I refused to provide. It had not shipped. After prolonged waiting on hold I was answered by a rude and indifferent person, I said I wanted to cancel my order. Without a word, the phone went back to their scratchy elevator music so I just waited. After about 5 minutes a person who described themselves as "I am the General Manager" demanded to know my reasons for wanting to cancel the order. I refused to give a reason saying I wanted the order cancelled. He would not quit! Finally offered me a $200 discount "on the package", the line again went back to scratchy elevator music and 10 minutes later a female came on the line saying my order had been adjusted. I said I wanted it cancelled, not adjusted! And, the line went dead, they hung up the phone. This was the 4th effort to cancel the order, which by their own admission had not shipped and couldn't ship until I provided additional information. Earlier emails were summarily answered by saying cancellations could only be handled by phone. Well, guess what. The order shipped. no shipping info available, but it shows shipped. They lied, bullied, demanded, but at no time did they let up on the talking and listen to my demand to cancel. Flim Flam artists at least, fraud most likely.

• Ti
    Tim Peters Jan 30, 2008

Ordered a camera and the next day got a call for the upgrades. When I would purchase any of the upgrades I was told the camera I purchased was not the American version and I would need to pay and extra $60 (50% of the purchase price) to get the camera with English writing inside? I confirmed the model number and tried to reason with the guy but to no avail. This company is a scam. Don’t purchase anything from this company.

• Ka
    Karen Feb 07, 2008

Such a scam!!! I ordered a camera online from this company. The next day I got an email requesting that I call to confirm my order for it to be shipped. After calling and getting pressured to buy all this expensive stuff I did not need, I am finally told that this camera is Japanese, not American and all the words on it will be in Japanese. I'm told if I want the American version it will cost me about $30 more. Then really fast I am given my total and hung up on. My total was over $50 more than it had been before. I went back on the website and nowhere does it say that this is a Japanese camera. I called back to cancel this order, and after two hours of holding on the phone and two emails, I was told by a very rude man "Too bad, you already got it." I'm told I already confirmed it and I can't do anything about it, unless I want to pay for shipping and 15% of the total order just to cancel it. This is the same guy that told me the camera was Japanese, even though I was lead to think I was talking to a customer service person. I told him that the website doesn't mention anywhere about the Japanese, and he argued with me that their "Policy says that they also sell foreign cameras." But even their policy doesn't even say anything about that. I ended up keeping my order because I was not about to pay this guy all that money to cancel my order. This company is totally unprofessional, and a scam.

• Ry
    Ryan Cleckner Feb 15, 2008

Avoid! I got the call to "confirm my order" and was told that same upgrade my battery story. I declined the upgrade and received a cancellation email from THEM! If I wasn't going to pay way too much for a battery, they didn't want the business. STAY AWAY FROM CAMERAADDICT.COM!

• Ru
    Rubens Paiva Feb 20, 2008

They offer products online at a very good price. get all your information and send you an email to call them to confirm the order. When you call they offer you a different model, or tell you a big BS, and try to sell you for more money something else, when you don't buy the discriminate you, treat you to use your information, and make jokes of the customer. This is a police case and should be looked with better eyes. It is amazing how easy is for this online thieves to steal from us!

Joe Feb 25, 2008

I ordered a "Sony VAIO VGN-TZ150N/B, 11.1-Inch Notebook Laptop Computer" for one of their FRAUD website at :

Listed price for $1480.00 and they send me an confirmation through my e-mail.

I also noticed that they do have another FRAUD fishing website at:

This websit listed the same item for $1488.00 Both website phone # are different, but both addresses are in same street and next door to each other.

However, one of the middel east salesman called me and asked me if I wanted the extanded warranty. He stated that the model which I ordered was not a U.S. model and no warranty whatsoever. I replied "No Thanks". Then he asked me if I wanted to purchase an additional 1GB of memory and I replied "No Thank you". Immediatelly, he said to me that the Microsoft Vista O/S was in Chinese characters and I said to him that I have my own English O/S myself, so there will be no problem. After this, he said to me that he will cancel my order if they don't have this model in stock.

I believed this company is a big SCAM. BE CAREFULLY WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WHICH HAD BEEN GIVEN TO THEM. YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEND. They have no intention to sell stuffs over the internet. They sales plan is to advertise items below market price and try to take everyone's credit card information ONLY. BE CAREFULLY !!

This is really happened to me, so people don't be cheated by them. You can e-mail me anytime if you have any question.

• Ed
    Ed Lyons Feb 26, 2008

STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!! STAY AWAY!!
    Cameraaddict.com lied! Cameraaddict.com lied! Cameraaddict.com lied! Cameraaddict.com lied!
    Unbelievably rude! Unbelievably rude! Unbelievably rude! Unbelievably rude! Unbelievably rude!

High pressure, fast talking sales pitch to keep adding stuff to your order, but they can't answer basic questions.
    "Head sales manager" said there was no way to change my order just 1 (one) hour after making it, because it "was already shipped."
    I would be charged restocking fees or I had to cancel whole order with restocking fees.
    A couple hours later I have two phone messages saying they were having problems processing my order.
    Did not know what milli-amp hours meant on batteries. Did not know what speed ratings and data transfer rate on SD cards was.
    Yet he claimed to be the expert in recommending what I should buy!
    You will be sorry! Very sorry!

I thank God He inspired me to block my card in time. Ultimately I had the credit card company give me a new account number.
    They will never get a penny from me!!!!

Annie Feb 28, 2008

I ordered the camcorder JVC Averio 130GB hard drive. Got an email telling me to call them to confirm the order. Great. So I did. Then the guy told me that the battery comes with the camcorder only lasts for 15min for all camcorders under $500. I thought that was odd. But I needed the camcorder so I told him to go ahead and put the extra better battery on. Then he told me I have to pay for insurance. WHAT? No shipping fees but they got you on insurance. He said that it's mandatory. So a package of $291 originally just shot up to $350 +$23 for insurance.
    Well a few days later, I got the package. Opened up and no extra battery. Then I realized that what they shipped me was what I ordered originally. Fine, maybe they forgot to ship the battery. By the way, the battery comes with it shows that it lasts for about an hour twenty minute of recording after fully charged. Needless to say I wasn't too happy as I was tricked into ordering that extra battery for no reason. Anyhow, I called them the next morning. Waited and waited and waited and got someone on the line who hung up on me. The third time I called, I finally got someone on the phone and told him they forgot to ship my extra battery. He told me that I upgraded the package with a better battery and charger, etc. I told him that was not what I was informed and he said that the $291 was a wholesale order which comes with a 15min battery and that I upgraded to a RETAIL package. I told him if I knew I upgraded to a retail package of $369 then I could have just gone to hhgregg and get the same damn thing for $299 + tax which would be about $327. So I said I am going to call my credit card company and report them and ship the package back. He said there is a 5% stocking fees. Anyhow, then he transfered me to a customer service department whom tried to tell me the same thing. Then he said if the battery was the problem then he'll ship me one for free, blah blah and then had the nerve to try to sell me something else.
    Please stay away from this website. If I knew this was what I had to deal with I would have gone to hhgregg and be done with. I was so upset not b/c of the battery but I hate these scammers.

• Ju
    Juanita Barnett Mar 06, 2008

The complaints above about the phones never being answered are right on target. I had a few questions to ask regarding a large purchase for my company, and could NOT get any phone response from their toll free or Customer Service numbers. Not a good sign. Thanks to everyone who posted their complaints, I will be looking elsewhere to purchase a camera and accessories for the organization.

• Wa
    Wayne Luoma Mar 09, 2008

I had the exact same experience with Camera Addict. First the "con firmer" tried to sell me a better battery than the one that comes with the camera and an memory card. Both at prices over double those available elsewhere. Then he told me that this is a Japanese version camera -- and the American version was $80 more. The same price that is available at Amazon.

• Ca
    Carlos Mar 17, 2008

I ordered a Canon Rebel XT and got an email to call and confirm my order. I was advised I had ordered the ASIAN version (no where is that info listed on their product info on the site). I was then advised the US version would cost $150 more and that the battery that came with it only lasted 15 mins to which I laughed. I'm an amateur photographer and know my products fairly well. No stock battery lasts only 15 mins.

The most unprofessional company. Stay away from them by all means possible. They have a negative review from the Better Business Bureau. See it here:

Bottom line, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

• Sh
    Shahin Henrikson Mar 18, 2008

This may have been the worst buying experience I have ever had. It made buying a car feel like an hour-long massage at a spa. I will be filing complaints with Better Business Bureau. They refused to cancel my order when I asked them to (after they informed me that the camera would only hold 20 photos without buying an $80 additional card and the battery would only last 20 minutes unless I purchased, saying that they were going to ship the order no matter what and that I could return it but would be forced to pay a $36 restocking fee. These people are crooks.