Books A Millionforcing magazines that you haven't ordered

While paying for my books I was asked by the clerk about getting magazine subscriptions and I declined the offer. Told the sales person "NO THANK YOU". A couple of weeks later I receive a notice from Synapse Retail Ventures, Inc that they were charging my debit card for 4 magazine subscriptions that I got from Books A Million. What a scam. I am having so much trouble cancelling these magazines. There automated system sucks and you can't talk to a real person. I plan to at least go to the books a million store where this happened and talk to the manager. From what I've read with the other complaints, this is not unusual. I'll never use a credit or debit card at books a million again. Next time I'll get my books at Target. Are Synapse and Books A million in this together?????

Jody Camper Sep 26, 2016

My wife went to the Johnson City TN Books a Million to buy a book for our daughter. The clerk asked if she wanted 3 "free" mag subscriptions and she said no. After she arrived home she looked at receipt and noticed he had signed her up anyways for three random magazines. We called the store and manager gave us the corporate number. The corporate hotline is an automated mess and even after they said she was taken care of guess what we received in the mail today? Two of the subscriptions she never wanted! They also retain your debit or credit card info to pay for the subscriptions. I am looking at charging the clerk with identity theft and suing the company as this seems to be an ongoing issue.

• Ts
    TSM Aug 12, 2014

If the employees do not perform to the quotas that are berated and often made to cry, This is a company that ONLY cares about profit. They don't give a flying damn about their employees. If fact they'd rather hire new people than work with the older ones that are having trouble hocking their membership card.
    and the magazine scam
    and the coffee for the troops
    and the bookdrives
    and salvation army
    It takes over 5 minutes to even check out.
    Regarding the mags, I am fairly certain that Maine outlawed that practise. Contact your state reps and tell them about any trouble anyone has with the mags.

• 3b
    3boysrule Feb 23, 2014

Upon checking out at Books A Million, they offered a FREE Magazine for Time, and Southern Living. They said I would not be changed until the magazine company sends a notice. THIS IS A LIE!!! They charge you automatticaly with whatever card you used upon check out. DO NOT AGREE TO THIS NOT FREE MAGAZINE OFFER.

• Mo
    momabear Jul 16, 2012

This is how books a million stays in business. I was told this by the clerk that checked.me out. She said that the employees are told to sign up customers or they will be fired. They have a quota and they get in trouble from senior management. I am not fond of there customer service style. I think this is a failing company trying to stay alive. I buy from Amazon or Barnes. At least at Barnes you don't get hassled to join a membership and unknowingly get signed up for magazines you never wanted.

• Pe
    peggy kan Sep 29, 2010

I walked into the book store to pick up my husband who reads alot. I had a refill cup from joe mugs i mean the cup said joe mugs asked the rude blonds worker for coffee. She said well yopu have to buty a full cup I have been in there alot she is so rude where do they hire them from?